Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look of the Oberon covers -- thinking of the Raven in taupe or Creekbed Maple in green.  I went to a local bookstore to see what Oberon products look like in person (I live a few miles from their factory).  The journal covers were quite thick and hard, and the edges didn't feel smooth. I have an M-Edge Executive on order but I feel an Oberon splurge coming on . . . I use my covers folded back, so also wondering if the inside of the front cover feels smooth?

Kathie

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The inside of the front cover is a soft wool felt. The cover itself is a very soft leather. I have the Dragonfly Pond in Fern and it is quite beautiful and the feel is much like a nice leather bible. I absolutely love it. Just wish I could buy several, but I'm staying firm with just the one right now.

B

·
0 Posts
The edges on my Oberon are quite smooth. The cover is really not that hard, and if it is too hard for you, there are removable pieces in the pockets. The inside of the front cover has a sewn in piece of thick wool felt. I personally do not have a problem with the felt, but others have reported that it is somewhat itchy. Also, it tends to attract hairs and lint, which is easily remedied by using a piece of tape to pull them off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Kathy said:
The inside of the front cover is a soft wool felt. The cover itself is a very soft leather. I have the Dragonfly Pond in Fern and it is quite beautiful and the feel is much like a nice leather bible. I absolutely love it. Just wish I could buy several, but I'm staying firm with just the one right now.
That sounds nice ... I haven't read anything negative about the leather on this forum. I think I'll order one -- if I don't like it, I can always sell it.

LuckyRainbow said:
Also, it tends to attract hairs and lint, which is easily remedied by using a piece of tape to pull them off.
I keep a tape lint roller in a little jar by my front door ... I have a little dog who loves to sit on laps. When my guests leave my home, I offer them the lint roller. :D

Kathie

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Not rough....beautiful!  If they weren't so much money I would have several to change out depending on my mood....but for now, I love my Tree of Life cover.  I read it folded back and have had no problems at all with it.  It goes with me EVERYWHERE!  I just pop it in my purse.  Never know when I will be in a situation where I can get a few pages in.  I have always loved to read but Kindle has REALLY kicked it up several notches.  I also keep my Kindle in it's Oberon cover in it's Borsa Bella bag.  I like to think of the Oberon as the dress and the Borsa Bella bag as the coat.  These accessories keep Sookie well protected!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The inside leather is smooth fine leather with a wool felt pad on the left hand side to protect the Kindle screen. The edges are smooth but not the smoothest edges I have ever felt.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I do wonder if one can get their Oberon without the wool somehow?  I'm all for natural fibers, but I'm another one who finds wool itchy, and I completely hadn't thought about the fact that when I fold it flat to hold, that wool will be right against my hand.

I'll cover it myself if I have to with a piece of cotton, but if it could be avoided I'd prefer not to have to!

B

·
0 Posts
VictoriaP said:
I do wonder if one can get their Oberon without the wool somehow? I'm all for natural fibers, but I'm another one who finds wool itchy, and I completely hadn't thought about the fact that when I fold it flat to hold, that wool will be right against my hand.

I'll cover it myself if I have to with a piece of cotton, but if it could be avoided I'd prefer not to have to!
Another option is to stick your hand into the front pocket. Then you are feeling the nice suede side of the leather.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
KindleKay said:
You can call customer service and ask them to leave the wool off. I have read that others have done that and Oberon complied for them
While I do like the suggestion of putting my hand into the pocket (probably will anyway without thinking about it! LOL), I think I'll give them a call tomorrow & have them alter the order this way. K2 is in a pretty hard leather case right now without even the luxury of a suede liner, and it's not causing any issues I can see. If I get concerned later on, I'll pad it by throwing in a piece of microfiber--I can always use that to clean the screen. :D

Thanks for the advice!

For the OP--I can see where the edges might feel a bit rough in some cases if they're not bound (and they don't appear to be). Like most leather, it should get a bit softer with use. I would imagine it's going to differ from cover to cover just a bit as they're handmade. From everything I've read, I wouldn't hesitate to contact them if it arrives & isn't working as expected.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This is a very small family owned company.. they personally hand make these.. when you order it call Don or email him at the address on the website and let him know about the wool issue.. I am sure its not a problem

·
Registered
168 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority, but personally I think some of the edges on the Oberon are quite rough actually (maybe sharp is a better term).  The leather itself is nice, but the edges (particularly the bottoms that my fingers rest against when I fold the cover back and hold it from below) are basically square and as a result almost sharp.  It's one thing I preferred about my first-gen m-edge.  I'm not sure what the leather m-edge is like.  It wasn't an issue with the Stylz either.

Honestly, I definitely wouldn't let it sway you from an Oberon though.  They're gorgeous covers.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am really sensitive to what I touch, in fact I just returned a Cole Haan Bronze because I did not like the way it felt.

I can say, the Oberon Butterfly was soft and delicious in my hands! I can't wait to have a K2 cover from them in Velcro!
The felt/wool padding, felt like a nice natural fabric also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all the comments.  The covers are beautiful on the website, and it's nice to hear from lots of folks with  first hand experience. 

I think I'll order the Raven in taupe.  I've loved ravens ever since one scared me right off my motorcycle as I was riding up Highway 1.  :eek: After that incident I started reading about ravens and crows; they're magical creatures!

Thanks for your input.

Kathie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts