Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove the Limited model of this car and I am quite impressed by it.  I like the gas mileage that it's reported to get, the partial zero emissions, the AWD, the mission/philosophy behind Subaru.  But the one negative I can find so far is that the 4 speed automatic transimission is a bit "whiny".  My current car has a 5 speed and I don't know if this is going to be a deal breaker in the long run.  Does anyone here have one and wish to share pros/cons of this vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
We looked at the Subaru Forrester when last we were car shopping. . . mind you, this was in 2002. . . .we liked it but my husband didn't fit in the back seat -- a deal-breaker.  .(Not that I make him sit back there, just that he figured if he didn't fit other adults wouldn't be comfortable either.)  We ended up with a Pontiac Vibe which is the same car as the Toyota Matrix.  I really like it.  It's given me no trouble, gets great mileage, and is comfortable both to drive and ride in.  It's a 5 speed standard transmission with cruise control. . . best of both worlds in my mind.

Ann

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sat in the back and fit quite nicely, but I'm only 5' 2" and will fit in most anything :)  I can certainly see why you chose not to get the Forester, that would be a deal breaker for us too. I've seen the Vibe and Matrix and they are both too small for us.  We are currently driving a Toyota Highlander, we've got 2 kids and all of their friends and stuff to pack in so we can go a little smaller, but not much.  It's been a while since I've driven a standard transmission, I didn't know you could get cruise on them, that is great and I agree, best of both!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
You can get cruise control on a standard transmission car, no problem. I have never bought a car for myself with an automatic transmission (my husband has had one) and every car I've bought since 1986 has had cruise control, which is about the time it started becoming a more or less standard feature (along with power locks and power windows). A remote ignition is a problem with a standard, though.

We had a bunch of Subarus in earlier years and were very happy with all of them, but for the last ten years we've owned nothing but Saabs.

L

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My last standard transmission car was a 1996 Honda Civic and it must have had cruise on it b/c it was the loaded model, but I don't remember using it!  I loved that little car, very sporty and such, but after moving back upstate (NY) and buying a house on a very high hill, I almost didn't make it home a couple times in the winter.  We've had FWD/AWD ever since.  A good friend of mine had a Saab and she loved it.  They are very nice looking cars!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts