Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. My sales have been a little slow this month. In fact, yesterday was the first in about 160 days that my royalty revenue dipped below my ad costs... and the week has been meh at best. Could be any number of factors, including self-inflicted injuries (I fiddled with my FB ad so maybe my conversion went awry), but how's it going for others?

·
Registered
705 Posts
It's definitely been a little slow for me too.  Impressions and clicks on AMS ads have been a good bit lower than I've seen before with basically the same thing running.  Hopefully other people out there are killing it, but me, I'm taking this slow time to work on new stuff.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
jm2019 said:
Just curious. My sales have been a little slow this month. In fact, yesterday was the first in about 160 days that my royalty revenue dipped below my ad costs... and the week has been meh at best. Could be any number of factors, including self-inflicted injuries (I fiddled with my FB ad so maybe my conversion went awry), but how's it going for others?
My month has been good so far, but feels like it's starting to slow a little now. Usually does end of August I think.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
It's better than last August for me, but things have slowed since beginning of month. That said, end of August is always a little weird. There are a lot of kids who *ARE* going back to school, and if they aren't, their parents are getting used to new homeschool routines.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, so it looks there is a bit of a pattern here. True that parents are getting ready for return to school, that can be a big thing on people's minds. Wonder the election related convention events are keeping people preoccupied too. This is really my first true sales year so I have no history to compare to.

·
Registered
334 Posts
August is always slow for me. That said, this is my second-best August. THAT said, the last couple of days have been down a little.

Like others have said, this will be a weird autumn. Not exactly looking forward to it...

·
Registered
505 Posts
There is no doubt for me that this month is slower. And, what makes me think that it's not just me is that my Bookbub target audience, which for the past 7 month has given me consistent click throughs rates, has dropped from 4% - 6% to 1% - 2% for my newest titles. Add that to my incredible drop off at Apple and B&N, and that makes me think that fewer people are buying right now.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Alex and Gareth : that's exactly what I'm seeing right now. The last few days have been terrible and completely out of the normal even when I consider the last 6 months. The only major trend correlation I can imagine is back-to-school and political conventions keeping people focused on other things during the day and night. Just a wild guess with no backup reasons whatsoever.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
jm2019 said:
The only major trend correlation I can imagine is back-to-school and political conventions keeping people focused on other things during the day and night. Just a wild guess with no backup reasons whatsoever.
Gah! I forgot about the political conventions! I forgot how my sales would drop whenever there was a primary.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Slow for me, with a disappointing Bookbub, but part of a general trend of slowing down because most of my money comes from back catalogue.

If I had to speculate on any general trend of less reading, it would be people making the most of being out and about in the summer after having their movement curtailed during lockdowns. Although from here in Australia it seems like any form of lockdown was over for the rest of the English-speaking world after about April, so I dunno.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Being that here in the US the last 4 years have been highly politicized, and since the start of June there has been a lot of hard news, I don't think political conventions would be a problem for book buying. If there is an overall slump, it would probably be other things -- summer, school year approaching, economic dip -- something like that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes...exactly that. I am anticipating total chaos in mid-Sept thru election day in the U.S. as the media ramps up for the 'big event'. Gut feeling: much FUD (Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt) will prevail and that is always bad for entertainment product sales vs. good for bread yeast/toiletpaper/ gas mask sales.  :(
But, Damn the torpedos - full speed ahead.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am, and I just released a book last week! To be fair, I'm a nobody and I don't have much money for advertising, but my KU page reads for my series have flatlined entirely and I'm running an ad on it. That's super weird, so I have to assume it has to be with school starting back...hopefully.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts