Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know I've asked this before, but I still haven't gotten my audiobook from April published and this is not the way a financially stable company operates. They've had enough to hire more people. This is truly ridiculous. Is anyone else still not published for months or is it just me?

·
Registered
21 Posts
They make more money with this thing than ever...audiobooks are booming. Who knows what the hell is going on. It's not like we would deserve to know how a company that sell our property operates. I mean, we can trust them, right?

All joke aside. It still puzzles me to this day how they are allowed to run the way they do. No other business can just take your product and say "oh yeah, by the way, we will tell you how many we will sell of x and you just have to trust us."

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
I had a book in the queue since March
I can beat that - I have one dating back to January! I publish all of mine via Findaway Voices immediately now, so at least they're available somewhere (although I uncheck the ACX/Amazon box on the grounds that however slow ACX are, they're more likely to expedite "their" books over books listed through Findaway).

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
My understanding is that certain books were caught in that window way back at the beginning of the year. Books published since then do not have a problem. I'm not sure why only books in that window have the problem but I would be demanding the old titles be scuttled and the ability to claim and load again.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Amanda M. Lee said:
My understanding is that certain books were caught in that window way back at the beginning of the year. Books published since then do not have a problem. I'm not sure why only books in that window have the problem but I would be demanding the old titles be scuttled and the ability to claim and load again.
I wondered about that, but I also have three from last month which seem to be going nowhere fast. It used to take about ten days.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Given the upfront cost on audio (assuming it's not royalty share), authors are losing significantly. I would think some of the big author organizations should be taking this issue up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
For the vast majority of authors, audiobooks just don't make economic sense.

I am wondering what the sales trends are like in 2020.

Mark

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
markpauloleksiw said:
...I am wondering what the sales trends are like in 2020...
I expect the same as gas prices ... down. With the drop in commuters there is likely a big drop in people listening to audio books in their cars on the way to and from work.

When you are at home there is that big flashy television screen you can watch and not worry about hitting other vehicles.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Great points about the fact that less people are on the road and less need for audiobooks. Also, my sense is that podcasts are what people are listing to more and more as they become much more diverse and creative...kind of like pre-TV when people would listen to radio shows...

Mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
jvin248 said:
I expect the same as gas prices ... down. With the drop in commuters there is likely a big drop in people listening to audio books in their cars on the way to and from work.

When you are at home there is that big flashy television screen you can watch and not worry about hitting other vehicles.

For me, personally, I've listened to maybe 2(?) audiobooks this year. And in the past I would listen to dozens in a year. For me, it's not the commute. It's the gym, mostly. When I'm at home, I can watch TV while I work out. (Some of this is just a personal "I get into moods" thing, too.)

This is a good reminder of why we really don't want Audible to have a monopoly on audiobook distribution. I'm so glad that Findaway allows us to get our audiobooks in other markets.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
In response to the lengthening ROI for my audiobooks, for my new series I hooked up with a publisher for the audiobooks. (I had contacts to leverage; it wasn't just a "call 'em up and say hey" thing.) Not sure yet if this is a more effective approach because I haven't seen my first statement, but I'm giving it a try.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I expect audio to keep seeing explosive growth. If you have the means to control the publication and not sign your rights away, I would think that doing it yourself makes the most financial sense over the long haul. If you don't have the means, then you should obviously explore other possibilities.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
People have been saying audio is going to explode for most of the time I've been publishing (since 2014). It hasn't exploded yet and it certainly hasn't exploded for me, personally. I've seen better sales with a series that appeals to a different segment of the market, but it hasn't been anywhere close to the 20% of eBook sales so many people quoted me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Crystal_ said:
People have been saying audio is going to explode for most of the time I've been publishing (since 2014). It hasn't exploded yet and it certainly hasn't exploded for me, personally. I've seen better sales with a series that appeals to a different segment of the market, but it hasn't been anywhere close to the 20% of eBook sales so many people quoted me.
Maybe audio isn't as popular among romance readers? I know in some of the genre's I follow audiobooks are big sellers.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Why exactly would anyone think Audible is collapsing? Amazon companies tend to keep their profit margins pretty firmly in line, and they're doing their new subscription program now. If listens are down due to the pandemic (I have no idea), I doubt that'd bother them. Amazon's always looking long-term.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Slightly off topic, but related to Audible - did anyone else notice their monthly totals to date have been suddenly significantly reduced a day or two ago? I lost around 50 audiobook sales, and a bunch of other authors in my Slack group saw the same. Anyone else? A glitch or something else? 

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
AlecHutson said:
Slightly off topic, but related to Audible - did anyone else notice their monthly totals to date have been suddenly significantly reduced a day or two ago? I lost around 50 audiobook sales, and a bunch of other authors in my Slack group saw the same. Anyone else? A glitch or something else?
Backed-up returns.

Seriously, I don't know how any of the shit they pull is even legal anymore.

Their rubbish practices are rage-inducing.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Usedtoposthere said:
Why exactly would anyone think Audible is collapsing? Amazon companies tend to keep their profit margins pretty firmly in line, and they're doing their new subscription program now. If listens are down due to the pandemic (I have no idea), I doubt that'd bother them. Amazon's always looking long-term.
Because ACX has had ridiculous wait times over the last six months. It suggests some kind of mis-management. I would expect it's typical Amazon trying to automate everything/never wanting to hire humans. But it certainly doesn't speak well to Audible's future.

I know I won't be putting my books Audible exclusive with my next series if the wait times keep up. And if they're on all other retailers weeks before they're on Audible, I have to imagine the sales on Audible will decline. I'm a small fish, but I don't see why bigger authors would behave differently. No one wants to wait 6-10+ weeks for their audio to be approved. That's a huge opportunity cost.

·
Registered
229 Posts
ACX has a banner that says  "As of November 1, 2020, Audible will no longer offer the Audible Escape subscription."

So apparently that has gone ker-plooey. (Glad I didn't sign up!)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts