Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you donate blood?

I have regularly up until a few months ago.

I have B Negative so it is next to rare and on occasion there is a demand for it so I will go down and donate when they call me now.

-Sailor

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am a donor and have been for many years. I had to stop for {I think} five yeats for both cancers but I am back on schedule now. I am AB positive.

patrisha

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I used to donate while I was in high school. Haven't really donated since. It mainly had to do with the fact I started to get tattoos after getting of high school and can't donate for certain period of time after getting a tat.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes I am a donor, my blood is A-, and so is my hubbys.  Very rare I'm told.  I also donate my hair once every two years to locksoflove.com.  They make wigs for those who lost their hair due to cancer.  :) 

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I donated blood once when I was in high school, but I haven't done it since. Somewhere along the way I have developed a huge fear of needles.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I don't.  I feel kind of bad that I don't, but I'm not going to change.  I'm O+, the most common type, so I hope there is enough out there without my donation. 

I have such anxiety about anything medical.  I fainted when my daughter had her wisdom teeth out.  I also blacked out when I visited someone in intensive care once.  The last time I had any blood drawn (just a little bit) was to be tested to see if I could be a kidney donor for my brother-in-law; it was really really hard to do.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My DH donates each time they have a blood drive in our town.  But I'm unable to donate because of my iron level is always too low. :-(

My daughter was in the hospital two weeks ago and rec'd 8 units of blood.  Thank God for donors, if the blood had not been available we would not have had a good outcome.  But she is doing well and even went back to work today.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kim said:
I don't. I feel kind of bad that I don't, but I'm not going to change. I'm O+, the most common type, so I hope there is enough out there without my donation. I have such anxiety about anything medical.
I am the same way and I hate doctors and procedures. When I go I let them know and they will rub my arms and legs and calm me down and relax me, I will even get my head petted...they are so nice where I go. I also get little pens, finger squeezer thing, and other little items they have too. And afterward they have a snack bar with lots of juices and I get to eat snacks and drink while I read the paper to recover from the 'ordeal'. I let them spoil me while I am there. ;D

-Sailor

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I always get turned down. 

When my daughter was having surgery, her doctor asked me to donate my blood because of her susceptibility to infection.  I had to beg the lab to take my blood, and my pressure is so low that it took over half an hour to fill the bag.  It's a good thing she didn't need another transfusion, because it took me quite a while to get over donating just one pint.

I'm A+. 

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
farmwife"723" said:
My DH donates each time they have a blood drive in our town. But I'm unable to donate because of my iron level is always too low. :-(

My daughter was in the hospital two weeks ago and rec'd 8 units of blood. Thank God for donors, if the blood had not been available we would not have had a good outcome. But she is doing well and even went back to work today.
Thank goodness your daughter is okay!

I started donating blood after I almost hemorrhaged out, I had prayed that if I survived this than I would give blood back to others who weren't so fortunate. I was down to 4 on what ever scale it is that they use for how much blood is in you...I was pretty bad off. So donating blood for others to live is high on my list of things to do, it really saves lives. I am fortunate my blood is clean so others can be safe with it.

I just got a call today that my blood type is needed, so I thought I would post this topic so help others see the importance of giving blood.

-Sailor

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
patrisha #150 said:
I am a donor and have been for many years. I had to stop for {I think} five yeats for both cancers but I am back on schedule now. I am AB positive.
patrisha
I am so glad you are over your cancer, congratulations on your fight to survive!

-Sailor

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
sailor said:
Do you donate blood?

I have regularly up until a few months ago.

I have B Negative so it is next to rare and on occasion there is a demand for it so I will go down and donate when they call me now.

-Sailor
Both my dad and grandfather have B neg. My grandfather who is 92 has donated upteen gallons over the years. They also have put him down for an on-call basis due to it's rarity. Now my mom is also fairly rare with AB pos.

Me, I ended up with boring old A pos. and yes I donate every time I can.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I was a donor until I ended up with ice packs on both arms after a particularly inept donation session. I need to start again, maybe at a different location. :)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neversleepsawink;) (#1071) said:
Yes I am a donor, my blood is A-, and so is my hubbys. Very rare I'm told. I also donate my hair once every two years to locksoflove.com. They make wigs for those who lost their hair due to cancer. :)
Your blood type is the rarest, not many have your type...B- which I am is the next rarest. For us to give all the time could be unnecessary since it isn't in that high of demand. That is why I am on-call now for when it is actually needed.

How cool of you to give your hair, I have never seen a place that does this around me...but I don't think I can cut my hair since it never grows longer than just past my bra strap...I like my hair long. Vanity I guess.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
sailor said:
Your blood type is the rarest, not many have your type...B- which I am is the next rarest. For us to give all the time could be unnecessary since it isn't in that high of demand. That is why I am on-call now for when it is actually needed.

How cool of you to give your hair, I have never seen a place that does this around me...but I don't think I can cut my hair since it never grows longer than just past my bra strap...I like my hair long. Vanity I guess.
My hair is very thick and grows very fast. I cut it above my shoulders when I donate and It grows down to my lower back in two years. I've donated 3 times, I will again in January. Locks of Love is a great program. :) I thought it was strange that I married a man with the same rare blood type. Lol...very odd.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
I always get turned down.

When my daughter was having surgery, her doctor asked me to donate my blood because of her susceptibility to infection. I had to beg the lab to take my blood, and my pressure is so low that it took over half an hour to fill the bag. It's a good thing she didn't need another transfusion, because it took me quite a while to get over donating just one pint.
I'm A+.
You do have to beg them to be able to use your own blood, that is crazy! I never thought of having low blood pressure with how fast the blood comes out, but come to think of it, that would make sense. I just lay there and get pampered so it doesn't matter to me if it's long or not, but I have normal pressure so I am lucky. Glad your daughter is okay now.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forster said:
Both my dad and grandfather have B neg. My grandfather who is 92 has donated upteen gallons over the years. They also have put him down for an on-call basis due to it's rarity. Now my mom is also fairly rare with AB pos.

Me, I ended up with boring old A pos. and yes I donate every time I can.
Wow, your granfather is so blessed to live so long, I wish him many more years ahead. I switched to on-call like your grandfather did because it is rare, also since they told me it just gets thrown away if it can't be used, I want to know mine is going to so some good when I give it up.

Stange thing is that I am the only one in my family that has B Negative blood. ;D

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My DH has AB- blood and they beg him to donate. He does regularly, but they won't take mine. I always have low iron and low blood pressure. I get frustrated that they won't. My dad had several surgeries and we had the same blood type and they wouldn't take it. We have blood drives at work and I always try.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
sailor said:
Wow, your granfather is so blessed to live so long, I wish him many more years ahead. I switched to on-call like your grandfather did because it is rare, also since they told me it just gets thrown away if it can't be used, I want to know mine is going to so some good when I give it up.

Stange thing is that I am the only one in my family that has B Negative blood. ;D
He is blessed. He made the newspaper last week for bowling a career high 256. :eek:

I'm pretty sure all of them in my dad's family are B neg (my dad and his 7 brothers and sisters). My grandmother was O neg and apparently the O gene is repressive and well with gramps being B neg, all the kids were too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts