Kindle Forum banner

From the available font hacks, which do you prefer?

• Arial Round Narrow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Droid Sans

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Basilius said:
I had the Georgia font hack on for a while, but I've gone back to the original. I find it quite clear and easy to read.
I think the 2.5 update of the stock font is, indeed, clearer than pre-2.5, so I have less reason to change from a readability standpoint. That being said, aesthetically I like the Georgia2 better: I think it feels more like a typical DTB font to me, perhaps? Also, it's a bit narrower, and since I need to read with a larger font size and increased line-spacing, I get a few more words in per screen. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I haven't tried the font hack. I don't mind the original font, so I haven't seen a need to. I guess I feel like if I buy a regular book, I don't get a choice of fonts, so the one installed on the K2 hasn't bothered me.

I did do the screensaver hack, and I after doing it, didn't like the order the pictures were in...so I renamed them on the K2 (while it was plugged in to my computer ::)). Unplugged, and got a white screen...and it took forever to restart. When it finally did, I lost all my collections :eek:.

So I'm not trying anything else for awhile! ;D

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've never seen a reason to use a font hack. I don't understand the lack of contrast that people complain about, its just like a mass market paperback book to me even in the smallest font they provide.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I am currently trying the font hack for the first time but haven't had time (hey, I'm supposed to be WORKING :D) to do more than try it with Helvetica, and read a short book during lunch. I could tell a difference, though not sure whether it was a major contrasty kind of thing or just a different font kind of thing.  I'll probably play some more with the other fonts to see if there's one I really like, before I decide whether to keep it.

So I haven't actually voted yet, since I'm not sure how I will lean....

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'd like to have a darker font/better contrast, but not enough to hassle with putting on a hack and having to remove it every time there's an update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The font is beautiful on my K2i. Very dark and easy on the eyes. I've since seen a few of the older K2's and they are so faded and gray looking they seemed unbearable to me. I'm not sure what they changed going to the international model but I adore it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I tried the new font hacks, and bless you NogDog and all the others who worked so hard on this, but tell the truth, I would like to uninstall the font hack and just have the new original font given us by update 2.5.3. Can anyone tell me the proper way to uninstall the font hack? I tried using the uninstall provided with the hack, but the linkfonts folder is still in my root directory. If the hack is gone shouldn't the linkfonts folder be gone too? Or does it just stay there, regardless of whether it's engaged or disabled?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm fine with the font on my K2i. It'd be nice to have options, but the only time I've really taken advantage of different font types is when I'm typing a letter, so it doesn't really bother me to not be able to change the font and to read it as is.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'd never used any hacks until after this latest update and I'm enjoying my new screen-savers (buh-bye Hercules!). However, every time I change them and do a reset my archive is empty.  (There should be about 50 books in it.) I do a "sync and check for items" and the archive returns, but this experience makes me wary of trying the font hack. 

·
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
tnolan said:
I tried the new font hacks, and bless you NogDog and all the others who worked so hard on this, but tell the truth, I would like to uninstall the font hack and just have the new original font given us by update 2.5.3. Can anyone tell me the proper way to uninstall the font hack? I tried using the uninstall provided with the hack, but the linkfonts folder is still in my root directory. If the hack is gone shouldn't the linkfonts folder be gone too? Or does it just stay there, regardless of whether it's engaged or disabled?
I also still have the linkfonts folder but I don't think it matters. If you remember, you had to transfer that over to the Kindle before you ran the install - the installation doesn't put it there so it stands to reason that uninstalling it won't take it off. Just ignore it, or delete it if you want.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Trophywife007 said:
(There should be about 50 books in it.) I do a "sync and check for items" and the archive returns, but this experience makes me wary of trying the font hack.
This happened to me even when I had no hacks on my kindle, especially after a restart or when I let the battery drain completely.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I voted other.  I've been using Gentium Bold for months now on my K1.  Helvetica is nice, but I can't stand reading with it.  I think a gentle serif font works better for me.  Still, maybe it's time to change things up a bit.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hell, I'm the one updating the fonts hack, and yet I'm still using most of the default fonts! :D

I've always liked the defaut Serif (the one used in the reader) font (Caecilia), and the 2.5.x update made it even better, so, that was nice. I wasn't so thrilled by the Sans font (Helvetica) though, and always really liked the Droid fonts, so, thanks to some new tricks in the hacking community, one round of bash scripting later, bam, a new fonts hack, and Caecilia + Droid Sans/DejaVu Sans on my Kindle! ;).

·
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
UPDATE:

I must admit I'm surprised by the results of the poll. After all the times I'd read on here about how people couldn't get on with the original fonts and were so desperate to use the font hacks, they were even willing to delay the v2.5 update, I expected the the runway winners to be the alternative fonts, with Georgia2 out in the lead. (That was the one that seemed to be mentioned the most).

It's interesting that several people say that although they would like a better contrast on the screen, they'd prefer it to be the background being lighter, rather than the font being darker. I think I'd have to agree with that. I find the darker fonts to be cumbersome and thick, I like the elegance of the lighter ones and a lighter background would achieve the same effect, without altering the fonts. I have to wonder if the colour of the background is a technical requirement of the e-ink technology, or if Amazon for some reason believe it's better like that?

On a different thread, a font hack supporter told someone with the opposite point of view they shouldn't knock what they clearly hadn't tried. But there do seem to be a number of people like myself, who have tried the hack and still prefer the original fonts. But then we just may have been lucky with the individual devices we received.

I think overall two things need to be said, because the font problem is just one example of Amazon's overlooking their customers requirements:

• Amazon need to get a handle on their screen quality control. It isn't only the contrast issue (which generally is what causes people to want darker fonts) but sun-fade and ghosting problems that still seem to appear randomly, but all too regularly. Some of us are getting good quality screens and others seem to be distinctly lacking.
  • Amazon need to stop messing about with all the fancy pants extras like facebook and twitter and popular highlights and the rest and settle down to making the the Kindle the best ereader on the market. And that means a choice of fonts, of sleep pictures, of justification settings and sorting options. It means more formats, getting to grips with the pdf problem, proper folders and sub folders instead of collections, which are after all just tags by another name. I don't care if the Kindle can't do what the iPad or my PC or my phone can do. I want it to do what an ereader should do - make it easy and fun to read and organise books and documents and do it better than any of the others.

Okaaay, I'll get off my soapbox now. :-[ *slinks away sheepishly*

21 - 40 of 50 Posts