Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious to see how many teachers we have visiting these boards. I'm one, and I have a suggestion for any others who are looking for a new way to market their books. I followed the advice of a colleague and created a novel study unit for my young adult fantasy, Eon's Door. It took a lot of time and effort, but it's given me a marketing angle that I otherwise wouldn't have had--an angle that most writers won't have. I posted the unit as a free download from my website; if educators (my unit targets teachers of grade 7 to 9 Language Arts/English classes) are looking for a book to read and study with their students, most of the work has been done for them. All they have to do is read my book (the Kindle is only $2.99) and, if they like it, order a class set of paperbacks (soon to be available). I've also talked to teachers in my own board who are willing to give my book a try with their classes in the fall. I've only been at it for a few weeks, but this approach seems to be helping get my book noticed. If you've written a book suitable for inclusion for school-age kids, a study unit or lesson activities related to your book might be a good investment.

J.G. McKenney

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi J.G.,

I am an English teacher at a community college.  This is a great idea.  How are you reaching your teachers to inform them of your offer?

Katrina

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my own board, I will be sending a message to all Language Arts/English teachers via board-wide email. I'm just waiting until my paperback is available before sending out the message. I will probably send it in late summer, when teachers are back in their schools frantically looking for resources and preparing for the school year. I have also posted my unit on the Ontario Educational Resource Bank, our province-wide ministry resource site. All teachers in the province can access it and alter it as needed. Finally, I've submitted it to prominent lesson plans sites on the net. For example, Web English Teacher was impressed with the scope of the unit and gave it prominent mention on their site. 

·
Registered
409 Posts
Having that direct connection to them is going to be a great benefit to you.  I wish you much success with it.  Where can I get a copy of the lesson plans?  I would love to see how you have them set up.  I'm going to check out your book also.  I have a friend that teaches grade 6-8, and I will share this information with her.

Katrina

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I am a teacher, but I write for adult entertainment.

However, I have been struggling with creating a web resource for book clubs and readers for my book's website, so I am eager to hear what people say on this thread to look for clues on how to construct reading plans and discussion break-downs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Katrina,

The unit is free to download as a pdf from my website, jgmckenney.com. Thanks for passing the word on to your friend, and I hope that you both find the book interesting.

J.G.M.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Erlan said:
Katrina,

The unit is free to download as a pdf from my website, jgmckenney.com. Thanks for passing the word on to your friend, and I hope that you both find the book interesting.

J.G.M.
Just bought your book and will download the unit. I will check them out and pass on to my friend. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to know how this works for you. I'll bookmark your website to keep up with your progress.

Katrina

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
No good for me I am afraid. I live in Brazil teaching business studies in English. I have given all my students and the other teachers my blog details and every week I am uploading a little of a short story with my poor attempt to translate to Brazil Portuguese. I've only just started, but I have the first two paragraphs translated now. Everyone at the school is quite excited about the project.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Katrina! I'll post updates on my progress with the novel study unit and my book as time passes. As I said before, I think creating the study unit has given my book a good jump start; there are a lot of teachers looking for such resources to use in their classrooms. I also can't help but think the prominent mention of my book on Web English Teacher convinced some influential book review sites to take a look at Eon's Door. LL Book Reviews, Sift Book Review, Earth's Book Nook, and Self Published Magazine will be reviewing it. The quality of the study unit and its promotion must have helped.

·
Registered
181 Posts
In response to your original question, I teach English at a public high school, as well as two online universities. I like your idea! Very cool.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Erlan said:
Thanks, Katrina! I'll post updates on my progress with the novel study unit and my book as time passes. As I said before, I think creating the study unit has given my book a good jump start; there are a lot of teachers looking for such resources to use in their classrooms. I also can't help but think the prominent mention of my book on Web English Teacher convinced some influential book review sites to take a look at Eon's Door. LL Book Reviews, Sift Book Review, Earth's Book Nook, and Self Published Magazine will be reviewing it. The quality of the study unit and its promotion must have helped.
I just downloaded the unit, and wow is it detailed. I can definitely see it working for my friend. I will be emailing it to her tonight. How did you get it on Web English Teacher? I see your book on the home page with the likes of Alice in Wonderland! Great!

Katrina

·
Registered
876 Posts
Erlan said:
I'm just curious to see how many teachers we have visiting these boards. I'm one, and I have a suggestion for any others who are looking for a new way to market their books. I followed the advice of a colleague and created a novel study unit for my young adult fantasy, Eon's Door. It took a lot of time and effort, but it's given me a marketing angle that I otherwise wouldn't have had--an angle that most writers won't have. I posted the unit as a free download from my website; if educators (my unit targets teachers of grade 7 to 9 Language Arts/English classes) are looking for a book to read and study with their students, most of the work has been done for them. All they have to do is read my book (the Kindle is only $2.99) and, if they like it, order a class set of paperbacks (soon to be available). I've also talked to teachers in my own board who are willing to give my book a try with their classes in the fall. I've only been at it for a few weeks, but this approach seems to be helping get my book noticed. If you've written a book suitable for inclusion for school-age kids, a study unit or lesson activities related to your book might be a good investment.

J.G. McKenney
I'm a teacher...of sorts. ;D

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I'm a teacher, but my YA books are too edgy for classroom study. At least, I'm pretty sure they are, since I already had parents FREAK OUT because there's a pentagram on the cover and call the school board claiming that I was a Satanist and that I was destroying children.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the day when I am NOT a teacher anymore. (As long as every month is like last month, this next school year will be my last.)

·
Registered
409 Posts
valeriec80 said:
I'm a teacher, but my YA books are too edgy for classroom study. At least, I'm pretty sure they are, since I already had parents FREAK OUT because there's a pentagram on the cover and call the school board claiming that I was a Satanist and that I was destroying children.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the day when I am NOT a teacher anymore. (As long as every month is like last month, this next school year will be my last.)
I have been told my stories could work well in a school setting, but I worry that the cursing and use of non-acceptable words for public schools would not set well with school boards.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Another teacher...of sorts...here.  Although I have my teaching certificate and masters in education, and taught general music and band for a few years, I have primarily taught private music lessons all these years.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I'm a graduate school adjunct faculty teaching teachers.

This is interesting and I'll pass it on to the class I've got starting in a few days.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hey there, fellow teachers! I teach college literature and dramatic lit part time. Just popping in to say hi to the rest of you instructors.

And, yes, great idea!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hey, I used to teach HS English and journalism. I seriously don't think my books would be suitable for a young audience. PJ

·
Registered
876 Posts
harpwriter said:
Another teacher...of sorts...here. Although I have my teaching certificate and masters in education, and taught general music and band for a few years, I have primarily taught private music lessons all these years.
Hehe, similar to me. Classical tutor and voice coach, and I freelance for TV & Film companies and record labels. I prefer one-on-one lessons and small workshops (all ages), but have worked in mainstream education, too. I don't like schools; I feel sorry for the children. Holding pens and training grounds for happy little slaves. I was sick of seeing the system stamp all the individuality out of children. Now, if I ever have kids, I'm homeschooling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts