Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some novels lend themselves easily to sequels.

I may write a sequel to my novel Franklin since he is such a unique character. It would be interesting to see what his views are on child rearing? He would probably drive Mary Lou up a tree since he looks at everything different. Maybe he and his wife could have a boy and a girl. Maybe the girl would like coon hunting and the boy would just like to read his Kindle?

Then I could write a sequel to Almost Women. I could explain where these women came from. Were they really made by Aliens or was it a Government lab. Maybe they were natural mutations? What would the new world look like? So there are plenty of questions to be answered to make a second novel.

Perhaps you should just pick your best selling novel and write a sequel to it? However, the best selling one might not be the one you would like to write a sequel to?

Are you going to write any sequels to your novels?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Mostly, I've written stand-alone novels. However, I am writing a sequel to one, but that is because it is part of a story arc that was always intended to fill several books.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Started writing a sequel then the plot came up in a published book. So new idea loosely related to the central characters but set in Victorian times instead of Georgian.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yep. Thaloc is a sequel to Death Has a Name. I have one more sequel in mind to show why The Truth affects Brodie the way it does. It will wrap everything up (I hope) in a neat package through one last big event.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've always written stand-alones, too, but now I'm tackling a sequel. At first, the series was going to be a trilogy, but then I realized that it would really work better as just two books (three would have required a lot of padding).

The hardest part for me so far is how much "background" to include in the beginning of the second one to bring the reader up to speed on what happened in the first one. *pounds head on table*

G

·
I'm currently working on "Conflict of Interest", a sequel to "The Docks", and have notes for the follow up to that. I'm trying to write the novella series so the books are self-contained, rather than being an ongoing serial.

My full-length novels will probably remain stand alone.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Headliner is a sequel to Swallow, but also reads as a standalone novel, for those who haven't read the first book. Is it a sequel? All the loose ends were tied up in Swallow, but one of my MCs is in Headliner, too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm working on the sequel to I Wish... right now. When I started plotting the first book the character arc and storyline grew until I realized it was meant to be a trilogy. So I wrote the first book knowing the full storyline of the second book and most of what will happen in the 3rd. It really helped in plotting, I think. Nothing in the first book happened accidentally. Every scene is pivotal to the first book, but I think readers will see that most of them also foreshadow what's to come in the rest of the series.

·
Registered
642 Posts
This is a really fun topic! Right now, I'm working on the sequel to Land of No Angels and I'm loving it. Originally, I had intended it to have 3-4 books in the series, but I was going to wait until I had written my stand alone novel called Snatchers. The stand alone book even has an outline, notes and characters ready to go, but I got so inspired with the sequel to Land of No Angels that I put it on hold.

So, the sequel to LoNA is Land of No Salvation and I'm having a blast writing it. It's all outlined and notes have been taken. I even have the first 1,000 or so words written up. But I can't lie, it's been challenging. With a sequel, you have to introduce characters and settings in new and interesting ways so not to bore those who've already read them in the first book, but also so new readers will understand them too. This challenge makes it all the more interesting and fun, though.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm working on the sequel to The Patriot Paradox. Release is slated for late Nov/early Dec. I also have a third book planned for this series. That will land in the fall of 2012.

I'm also working on a Novella based upon one of the characters (Mike Pringle) in Fire: Elements of The Undead. That one will come out right around Halloween. I also have a full-length sequel and prequel planned out as well. The sequel will arrive next spring and the prequel - not sure.. I have to take a trip to Antarctica to do some research first...

It's going to be a busy couple of years ;)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Almost everything I write is a sequel. I've got two on the table now -- neither of the lead titles are in print yet, but each of the sequels should have a solid podiobook following by the time they get there in 2013.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have only a single standalone book at the moment: a non-fiction technical reference about the real world car which helped create the experiences spawning my supercar novel series. Everything else is a part of that series, or another (so sequels galore). Mainly because the stories were simply too big or too many to fit into one book, without that book being enormous.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've written three sequels in three different series (two crime and one historical), but I tend to leave endings open-ended to allow for sequels if I ever get the time or inclination. I'm writing a third book - The Flesh is Weak - in my Parish & Richards series (A Life for a Life and The Wages of Sin). Its fun developing the characters and making them grow!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've been working on a  prequel to The Gorge. It's going well, although I'm pretty much just fleshing it out right now, as I have several other stories I'm about to finish up....my brain hurts !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts