Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though I'm really digging my Kindle, I'm still going to be buying paper books.  There are books I want to read that aren't Kindle, and there are books I'll read that I can pass along to someone else in my circle of family and friends.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I still pick up paper books when I can get what I want for considerably less. Many books I will just read once and then never pick up again, so I don't mind getting a copy from the used book store. Tha books I love, or know I will read again, I get for my Kindle, sometimes even if I have a paper copy.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I still buy.

I mostly like hardbacks and I buy mostly on sale.
B&N has a good selection usually for less than $6.99.
And others I think less than $9.99.
I look through those at least a couple times a month

Eric

·
Registered
277 Posts
about half of my bookclub books are not on kindle so I will probably buy 6 or more DTBs a year now. I bought one this week already. I almost always buy them used.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, I still do for two main reasons.  I will buy used books if I can't get them on Kindle or if they are cheaper than Kindle (even tho I do PREFER to read them on Kindle).  I also collect rare, valuable books so I do still buy those.  Those are a bit more expensive than Kindle books.  ;)

This is how sick I am... I have a collectible of a certain book (A signed first/first) and I won't read it because I don't want to damage it.  So... I went and bought it on Kindle to read instead.  Actually, I've done that twice now.  What's wrong with me?   ???  ::)  ;D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I still read DTB's. haven't brought any recently, but I do visit the library still (visited three times this week already lol). I'm also into manga (japanese comics) and I like reading those in DTB version. Time to time I'll find a best seller (maybe a older best seller) for a dollar or two at the library and I'll purchase it, but those usually don't leave my house once they come in the door unless I give them away to someone else that will love them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Definitely not. I plan to buy only Kindle books.  It is very convenient to me since I live in a small town where there is no local book store and I don't like waiting for books in the mail.  I read a lot but don't like to have books cluttering up my house.  I generally only want to keep first or signed editions of my favorite books.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, I always will.  If there's a book that I know I'll really treasure I will buy the hardcover for my library. 

And lots of collectors buy a cheaper, "reading copy" so as not to mess up their first editions....

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
No Way!  Just finished reading a DTB that I had and didn't want to buy on kindle - my shoulder has frozen up - again - a problem with DTBs.  That being said I have left over 600 DTBs that I am slowly trying to pass on.

My book club has only DTBs and I am trying to think of a way to graciously get out of it - they are not near as much fun as this group anyway. 

So far I have not been drinking anything when I read BJ or EV posts - and keep both feet on the floor so I don't fall out of my chair  :eek:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yes I fully intend to continue buying paper backs over time. Just because I have a K2 does not mean it's one or the other.....I can have the best of both worlds! ;)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Personally, I am not planning on any DTB paperback or hardback...that being said, I am still open to purchasing one if I am at a used bookstore or happen upon a sale.  The weekend ofter next, the LR Main library is having their basement book sale and my co workers want me to go with them, but I almost don't want to go since I have so many books in "queue" on my Kindle that I will be busy for a bit...but, I'll prob go......  ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had my Kindle since October and haven't bought or read a DTB since I opened it.  All the books for my book club have so far been available in Kindle format....thank goodness.   :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Received my Kindle last April.  Haven't bought a paper book since.  Two weeks before my Kindle was ordered DH and I had been a Boarders and spent a lot of $.  I faithfully finished those books but now I look at them and wonder what to do with them (I still hate parting with a book).

·
Registered
383 Posts
I still buy them for my 10 year old son. 
He loves to read, but looking at the way he treats his books, I won't let him NEAR my Kindle!  :eek:

eta: and I still buy picture books by the dozen for the little ones :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes and no.

I just bought three wine note books for friends b/c we needed "refills".  I've also purchased 2 out of print gardening reference books.

as for "reading" fiction or non-fiction, if it's avail on kindle and I plan to purchase it, then it will be a kindle version.  If not library copy.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yes, but partly just out of habit.

I received 2 paperbacks (available in Kindle format) the same day I received my new Kindle. :S

I also have another 4 or 5 books pre-ordered from Amazon. I'll keep at least one of them, as I want the first ed. hardbound for my collection. The other 4, depends on the book. I will probably end up canceling the paper editions for now, then ordering them again if they aren't out quickly in Kindle format (each of them will be the latest in a series, otherwise I would wait patiently for Kindle only.)

1 - 20 of 90 Posts