Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My YA (below) is all set to go next week, and in today's Publisher's Weekly, I saw that another YA title is pubbing in July, also called RIPPLE. 

Same genre, similar sub-genre, same year . . . . Yes, I know there are many books called Twilight, and anyone can have any title they like.  What I don't know is whether it's just really dumb of me to stick with my title.  (Which I love, and which supernumerary publishing professionals said they liked the sound of . . . . .)

In my book, "ripple" is used as a verb to describe turning invisible.  i.e., "I rippled so that no one could see me."  (The name comes from what it looks like to an observer: the air ripples like waves on a lake as a rippler disappears.)

Am I stressing over nothing, or would this be a big deal to any of you?  And what would you call your debut novel in these circumstances?
Thanks for any ideas. . .

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wouldn't do anything if you really like the title. I'd look at it another way and be ecstatic. People might buy your book thinking it's the other one. Like how when video game companies release games very similar to the popular ones.

·
Registered
982 Posts
cidneyswanson said:
My YA (below) is all set to go next week, and in today's Publisher's Weekly, I saw that another YA title is pubbing in July, also called RIPPLE.

Same genre, similar sub-genre, same year . . . . Yes, I know there are many books called Twilight, and anyone can have any title they like. What I don't know is whether it's just really dumb of me to stick with my title. (Which I love, and which supernumerary publishing professionals said they liked the sound of . . . . .)

In my book, "ripple" is used as a verb to describe turning invisible. i.e., "I rippled so that no one could see me." (The name comes from what it looks like to an observer: the air ripples like waves on a lake as a rippler disappears.)

Am I stressing over nothing, or would this be a big deal to any of you? And what would you call your debut novel in these circumstances?
Thanks for any ideas. . .
I'd stick with Ripple. It fits your story, from the sound of it. Plus, maybe people will buy yours thinking that it's the other one. :D

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Sometime after my novel Firefly Island was published, somebody else published a novel titled Firefly Island. As far as I know, it never harmed my sales. If you like Ripple, you can stay with it. But if you feel uncomfortable, and think this other Ripple will keep bugging you, you can also change the title -- just to sleep better at night. Either way, I think you'll be fine.

Also, I love this song:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've not had a situation like this before, but I think as a reader, it would not make a difference to me. I think the way I come across books, it wouldn't make a difference, since the stories will undoubtedly be different.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
When shopping Amazon, I quite often click on a book with the same title as the one I did the search for. I find lots of books in this manner that I normally might never have known existed.

Besides, yours will be FIRST! Nyah, nyah!  :D

I guess the only downside will be if the other book sucks, and people accidentally put the bad reviews on yours. :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
Honestly, I would change the name. Their cover can't possibly be as neat as yours, and you don't want THEM piggybacking on YOU!
I'd even consider RIPPLED or BROKEN RIPPLE or the like. Your first book is something not to be shared, IMHO.
Hugs to you.
Bailey

·
Registered
942 Posts
My first reaction was that you should change it since it's the same genre and it already has been written up in PW.

On the other hand, one of my titles (Quick Study) is far from unique. It hasn't affected me at all--the covers (and in most cases, the genres) are quite different.

So although I would change it in your situation, it will probably work out all right if you don't. Sorry if that's aggravating advice.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I'm on the fence on this one. On the one hand, it would bug me to death to know there's another book coming out with the same name as mine, but on the other hand if my book title was perfect I might just keep it anyway.

Sorry that happened. :p If it were me, it would be a tough decision.

Vicki

·
Registered
461 Posts
You have a beautiful cover with a completely integrated title. Look at it this way, you know at least two people named Jim, or Tom, or Ed, right? Do you ever get them confused? No. They look different, they sound different, they are different.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
There are actually two other books out with the title "Freedom's Sword" which gave me pause. However, both are non-fiction.

Lots of novels have the same or very similar titles, but if it's the same genre and same subgenre, I think I'd try hard to find another title. For Freedom's Sword, it was not my first choice in a title, but I wanted to use something as an epigram that related to that title and couldn't get permission from the copyright holder. That caused me to change the title. I used lines from Robert Burns that refer to freedom's sword as the epigram. Problem solved.

My point is that I ended up using Freedom's Sword which, once I got used to it, I like better. Sometimes, it's a matter of adjusting to a new title. Perhaps add a word to distinguish? Air Ripples or something like that?

It's tough, but that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A dozen years or so ago, I decided on a naming my Greek myth fantasy series using Immortal in all the titles. I have Immortal Heat, which came out first, around 2002. I also have Immortal Ecstasy, and soon will have out Immortal Favors, Immortal Rapture, and Immortal Conquest with more to come. In the meantime, vampires became very popular, and there are lots of vampire romances out there with Immortal in the titles. I'm sticking with my Immortal titles, though, and if someone clicks on one thinking it's a vampire romance, well, I hope they're also interested in Greek myth fantasy. ;)

Lanette

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marc, Ryne, Gregory, Terrence, Gretchen, Vicki, Kelly, thanks for chiming in! ;)

Lanette, interesting outcome . . . hadn't thought of possible future issues happening! Yikes!

JR, not a bad idea, adding another word . . .

Bailey and Lynn, those were actually more my concerns, I think. . . if someone confuses and dislikes one of us and pins the wrong one -- gah! Awkward! (or worse.) Or piggybacking. Although I guess I have done what Lynn said and bought books I stumbled across with the same title.

And lastly, Daniel, well, I feel more relaxed already just listening to the Dead. Thank you so much. I've been meaning to listen to that song ever since I first googled "my title" a year ago and saw that song listed.

EVERYONE, thanks for making me feel like part of a community on this occasion. I appreciate all your thoughts so much.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I can so relate, Cidney. I made this very same post last January. I considered changing the title, and even had my cover artist make an alternate cover, but in the end I stuck with the same title and have never regretted it. I'd go with your gut and leave it. It's a great title, anyway, and you have just as much right to it...

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,48326.msg835860/topicseen.html#msg835860

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Just before Finding Father Rabbit was released, the movie Finding Nemo came out. I worried *a lot* about the timing on having a book published with "Finding" anything in the title on the heels of that movie and flip flopped on changing the title so many times I'm pretty sure the cat got whiplash just watching me.

In a moment of "Hey!" I stopped to consider how many books were out there with the title "Full Circle." And no one seemed to care.

I let go of the worry, the book was published under the chosen title, and it never mattered. FFR sells what it sells. There were never the accusations I thought I would get.

Keep your title. It fits your book, and the greater odds are that it will never be an issue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The other RIPPLE is about a siren (mermaid), so it doesn't really seem like they would get confused. Also, the other author is established and has 5 or 6 books out, so I wouldn't worry about people not liking hers, then confusing your book with it. Who knows, maybe it could even be helpful.

Books have the same titles all the time, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RachelAstor said:
The other RIPPLE is about a siren (mermaid), so it doesn't really seem like they would get confused. Also, the other author is established and has 5 or 6 books out, so I wouldn't worry about people not liking hers, then confusing your book with it. Who knows, maybe it could even be helpful.

Books have the same titles all the time, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Rachel, thanks. Now I feel silly worrying people would confuse a debut author with an established one. You're so right. ;)

Thumper:
"the cat got whiplash just watching me."
BWAHAHAHAHAHa! I needed that laugh. What a visual.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The title is perfect. I wouldn't change it, if I were in your position. And, somehow, I am. I have been working, for some time, on a novel that has the exact same title of a movie coming out now. I thought about it, and then I decided that I don't want to change a name that works, for something else that maybe doesn't.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts