1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
He lives in the UK and doesn't sound as if he has ever even tried to use one and just gone off of hearsay, so of course he wouldn't like ebook readers.  The UK connection being that he'd actually have to go out of his way to use the Kindle moreso than we do in the states.  It's pretty common knowledge that anyone who likes to read and has given them a chance loves them no matter where they live in the world.  I'm just tired of "reporters" (read: bloggers) reporting on something they have no idea about.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree about the author of the article but he is entitled to his opinion. I think as you both stated that he can't really give the Kindle a fair shake due to the fact that he is in the UK.
I was more interested in what everyone thought about the Governor and his decision to replace California textbooks with Kindle like devices.

How do you think that will go over? I love the idea but if California kids are like my kids (and I am sure they are), these Kindles or Kindle like devices will have to be built like tanks to survive. It may be cost effective to replace textbooks with kindles initially but what about the price of replacing the Kindles that get dropped/stolen/mishandled by the kids in everyday use at school. I wonder if that was taken into consideration? I know my kids would love the idea of using a Kindle initially but once they realize that it is still schoolwork they are looking at  then the excitement will wane.
I think Kindle textbooks may be more suited for college use as the college kids are more likely to take care of their textbooks/kindles than middle or high school kids would.At least I think so.
Just interested on what everyone's take is on Arnie's initiative.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Difficult to gauge what Arnie intends to do really.  If he makes Kindles available in the classroom only, ie. kids can't take them home, then you have a problem with homework.  If kids can take them home, they are much more likely to get broken.  I can't imagine even one parent wanting to sign a form to be financially responsible for a student's Kindle for the school year.  But that's just because this is the beginning of the curve - you know it will eventually come to this and these problems will get ironed out and textbooks in paper will get replaced.  Eventually.  Then they'll be for sale on eBay in the antiques section!

·
Registered
102 Posts
This made for humorous reading, thanks for posting the link, I'm gonna forward to my department...

Every high school student in California will be given access to Kindle-like devices, full of a standard spectrum of science, maths, physics, chemistry, earth sciences and more, according to the fact sheet available on the Governor's website. The devices will hopefully be ready by the time of the next academic year, in Autumn/fall 2009.

What a load of hogwash. We have let go 20 teachers just at our site alone and we are one of 7 high schools in the district. We are therefore projected to have 50-60 students in our English classes next year, that means the Autumn/fall of 2009. We can't afford to keep teachers but we can afford kindles (or some other device)? Now granted, I'm a sit-back-and-wait kinda girl. I can't WAIT to have 50 kids in my class... mostly because I think it'll never happen. Something will magically solve the problem (as it always has in the past) and we'll get those teachers back. Should this ACTUALLY be a real fiasco and we don't get those teachers back? I'm happily sitting back and waiting for the 50 kids per class to arrive so I can point out to the locals that SEE.... we ARE in a crisis! When I'm teaching 250 kids every day instead of 150 kids every day there will inevitably be some things that don't get taught thanks to all the discipline, babysitting, and parent contacts I'll need to make, oh yah, and IEPs to follow and attend. And our district isn't even in a textbook adoption year... so I'm assuming we'll be stuck using these paper giants for a couple more years until the digital option even comes to us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts