Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know sales fluctuate and I've waited to see if sales were going to pick up but, alas, they haven't. I've tweeted, Facebooked, and I have an ad scheduled in August with Kindle Nation but aside from writing another novella to complement the line-up, (which I do plan to do soon) what else can I do to bump sales? I have pretty decent reviews, too.

Kimberly V.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm there with you!  Up until this week I was plugging along, doing well. Doubling sales each month or more from the previous.  The first week in July I did very well and had already matched my June numbers and hit a 6K rank on Amazon. 

Then this week, the bottom fell out.  I'm ranked at 20K and am lucky to sell 5 books a day. :-(

Wish i knew what happened. 

My free essay collection did get a bump from ireaderreview and this morning it was ranked at #126 in the free store...so that's something!

Julie

·
Registered
320 Posts
Peaks and valleys happen -- even to JK Rolling. I think you just have to keep filling the pipeline, like that ad you have scheduled for August. Add to the list of book bloggers to contact about Q&A or giveaways, go back and give away some more copies on Library Thing, use tools like Follower Wonk to develop a list of potential customers that you can "follow" on Twitter (They're going to look at your bio to see you who are, so you're guaranteed they will see your book and link to amazon.) It's exhausting, but just keep at it and sooner or later another wave will develop and bring you another round of sales!

·
Registered
30 Posts
alexadena said:
Peaks and valleys happen
I'm rather new at this game, but must say that I've seen the 'peeks and valleys" as well as the pendulum swinging to a fro! My Kindle book sales are down, but PubIt! sales are up - go figure...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I read an article by a librarian (a few months ago) who said that July and August are when they play catch-up because they receive so few visitors. She said she'd been a librarian for fifteen years and the pattern is consistent. This isn't just the "normal" valley you see from routine sales. This is the slow season those in the business have learned to expect (and struggle with - LOL) and will last for two months.

So, if you've been receiving good sales in the past, never fear... they will return. I hate to regurgitate the same mantra we've all heard over and over (to the point of nausea), but this might be a great time to start writing that next book, even a short story would be great. That way, when the busy time arrives, you'll have something new to help attract the "spotlight" to you and your other books.

If nothing else, it help distract you from the pain of slow sales...  :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am pretty new to the kindle scene and while I have seen it slow, since I just started, I am really looking forward to the uptick later on.

Because if the sales I am making now are part of the slow time, I am really going to be happy in January when everyone gets their kindles for xmas.  :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
ChristopherDavidPetersen said:
I read an article by a librarian (a few months ago) who said that July and August are when they play catch-up because they receive so few visitors. She said she'd been a librarian for fifteen years and the pattern is consistent.
Good to know this. When I ran a clothing biz, our sales were similarly predictable, and I comforted many newbs with what I knew about the dreaded month of January.
Back to writing the next one! ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
There are people on here complaining about 5 sales a day? If only I could have that kind of bad luck :) My best ever was four sales in a day; otherwise I'm looking at a sale over other day, if I'm lucky! I'm not that worried about my sales at the moment - July is supposed to be bad and August even worse - such is life.

I've tried not to fret about my sales recently and feel much better for not religiously checking my figures every half an hour or so. It can become a real addiction, something I know from experience ;)

Martin

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
For scifi people, the release of the latest Game of Thrones might have sucked up a bunch of readers.  Since it was the only book outselling me on Amazon UK in science fiction, I saw a dip in sales of those titles with the new release.
Publishing was always pretty dead in July-August and I imagine it's not that much different with epublishing

·
Registered
65 Posts
I read an article by a librarian (a few months ago) who said that July and August are when they play catch-up because they receive so few visitors. She said she'd been a librarian for fifteen years and the pattern is consistent. This isn't just the "normal" valley you see from routine sales. This is the slow season those in the business have learned to expect (and struggle with - LOL) and will last for two months.

So, if you've been receiving good sales in the past, never fear... they will return. I hate to regurgitate the same mantra we've all heard over and over (to the point of nausea), but this might be a great time to start writing that next book, even a short story would be great. That way, when the busy time arrives, you'll have something new to help attract the "spotlight" to you and your other books.

If nothing else, it help distract you from the pain of slow sales... :)

Could be the holiday season factor and people are simply nervous about taking Kindles to the beach and lakes.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts

If nothing else, it help distract you from the pain of slow sales... :)
That's reassuring to know. Got lots of bills to pay and was quite excited about the money coming in - but now it has dropped off :'( Hope I can look forward to it picking up again. :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a pretty strong 4th of July weekend, but it's been slowly tapering off since then. Even so, July's been my best month for sales yet, although my numbers have been pretty modest thus far over all.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I really have no clue; I'm stumped. My sales go in fits and starts, with no clear pattern. Also, the other books bought by customers don't correlate at all. All the UK sales seem to be people buying material about eating disorders (which is not the main focus of my book) and all the US customers are buying romance. The book is placed in the same categories on both sites.

·
Registered
268 Posts
modwitch said:
My sales always slow down when women 30-60 have other stuff to do. Summer, holiday weekends (but then a big bump on Sunday night), etc. I see pick-ups in early morning, after the kids go to bed, etc. And if they are grabbing a book, it's more often a known quantity, rather than leisurely time to browse the virtual stacks (or blogs, forums, etc).

Some of you share my demographic. Others might have younger readers, or YA readers (I assume this is a good time for books that sell to teens), mostly male readers - so I don't think summer hits us all equally (although I think it's bad for most). If it was just a summer overall dip in ebook sales, then you won't see your rank falling. For those of us with falling ranks, other stuff is going on. Could be other stuff at the top of our genres, reader demographics, how long our books have been out, etc.

I've decided that time spent marketing is actually bad - it takes away from writing, and releasing frequently is the surest way to smooth the sales slides. Two weeks until my next one, and they're queued up closer together after that.

Because just as summer is the valley, Nov-Mar is likely to be the peak. What are you doing to be ready for that?
That makes PERFECT sense! I don't pay that much attention to sales, but I do to rank. To me, a sinking rank meant people were still buying books, but not mine. My book is a romance and it sells late at night, early in the morning when the kids are asleep and the mommies have a little time to read.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The flip side to July and August being slow is that, if you have all your ducks in a row, it's possible to make a bigger splash during those months than in December --- when so many other titles are being published. My theory is it takes fewer sales to crack the Top 20 or Top 10 in some genres.

But it's just a theory ...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. This is a crazy journey and I'm not sure how to read the road map just yet. I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their ideas and theories.

Kimberly V.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts