Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working for a while on a short artbook of my digital paintings/illustrations. It was started as an assignment at college, where I took the chance to create something I could use for myself. I was going to get it printed at blurb.com as a gift for dad and have another copy for myself as a portfolio. I then considered making it available as a PDF, but didn't know where to host it or if people would be interested.

Secondly, me and my girlfriend have been thinking on making a children's book filled with colorful illustrations, fun storytelling and stuff (she gets the writing part, of course). It would be a nice project to make together.

I'm not very sure where should I start. Is Amazon the best place to go for e-publishing? What other options do I have? Where can I find more info? I never considered this stuff before, so I feel like a lost puppy. :p

Help?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about publishing graphical works, but I and many other folks on this board have had great experiences publishing our novels through Amazon's POD publishing arm, CreateSpace.  There's a link on this page somewhere.  It costs around $40-$50 to set it all up, if you do most of the work yourself, and the quality and service are very good.

Hopefully, some of our graphic artist/comic folks will chime in and be more helpful to you.

Good luck,
Maria

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
If you want to release the art as only an eBook, Nook and Smashwords would be the best places at the present time. Kindles are black and white only right now.

If you know how to create a webpage, you can create an ebook for an eReader. It's basically the same principle.

If you want to release a printed book, I always recommend Lightning Source. If you were to release a 50-page color book, hardcover (something comparable to most children's books), it would cost you $11.00 in any size format. Children's books come in a variety of sizes and shapes, but the cost is the same (same amount of paper used). You then add your markup to that and take into account you'll need to provide Amazon with at least a 20% off list price.

So, it would have to be priced at $14.00, and you would make .20 per copy. Or, you could list it higher and make more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. I think I'm going digital for now. But when I decided to print some, I think I'll go with Lightning Source. They give more pages for WAY lower price than Blurb. Good stuff. And no, I don't know hot to design web pages yet, but I'm sure I can learn how to do make one for eReader. Lots of tutorials out there. Thanks, Brian and Maria.

I'll be looking more into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts