Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope you have room for me and all my beasties. Those would be the ones on my small farm in North Texas: mini horses, pygmy goats, chickens, guineas, ducks, dogs, cats, an iguana and the occasional snake that takes up residence in the hen house. Can you tell I like animals? I spent time as a vet tech working with small animal clinics and wildlife rehabilitation organizations. Just wait till you see my author photo!

Way back when, Marion Zimmer Bradley, who wrote Mists of Avalon, served as editor for several anthologies in which some of my short stories appeared. I must have been influenced by her -- as well as by that MA in English with a concentration in Medieval Studies and that 20-odd-year stint as an editor in the corporate world -- because I wound up writing a gritty, woman-focused prequel to the Arthurian legend and editing a multi-author anthology of my own :D. New York Times Bestselling and multi-award-winning author Jennifer Blake even broke a long-standing rule about not granting quotes for book covers and agreed to provide a cover quote for my novel. I feel especially proud because it's such a good one.

We're well into record-breaking triple-digit temps here (17 straight days at 100+ degrees!), so reading inside where it's cool is my favorite past-time right now. I'm sure I'll be checking out works by other KB authors soon. Maybe you'll check out mine, too?

Warmest (literally in this case ;)),
Phoenix Sullivan

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Phoenix-

Welcome to KindleBoards! My, that's a lot of beasties! You'll want to check out the chicken thread in Not Quite Kindle!

We pride ourselves on being a fun and friendly place for fans of the Amazon Kindle. Our members are by definition readers! So in addition to discussing the Kindle, they discuss books, reading and lots of other topics, too!

As an author, you'll want to start by reading the sticky threads pinned to the top of the Writers' Cafe, our forum where writers and readers mingle and talk about the craft and business of writing, and at the top of the Book Bazaar, our forum where we feature independent authors' books. These sticky threads will give you some good advice for how to make the most of your time here on KindleBoards. You'll also want to read our Forum Decorum, if you haven't yet. And finally, here are some of the FAQs of KindleBoards.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Our members love to help the new folks to get familiar with our forum!

Betsy
KB Moderator

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Phoenix,

Sounds like a wide range of creatures great and small there with you...I bet you're busy! 

Best of luck with your titles, and welcome to Kindle Boards!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the welcome, Valmore, Dan and PJ!

Betsy, thanks for the Chicken Thread link. Checking it out now. I'm sure I can learn something!

Best,
Phoenix

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Dara; I know I've seen you around other boards. Nice to finally say "Hi!" to you.

Sarah: I think you published Cold My Heart right around the time I published Spoil of War. I've seen your book in the same searches and on the same lists as mine. Often it was right before or right after mine :D. Until I raised my price the first of this month, that is!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
That's so cool!  I really wish they still had the 'Arthurian' category within the greater category of fantasy to stick our books in when we sign up in the KDP platform.  Best we can do these days is 'tag'.  Great to meet you!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hello Phoenix from a fellow animal lover and author,
You and your animals STAY HYDRATED in this heat wave. Hot here in Ohio too.
I like both your book covers but Extinct really draws me in. Will check it out.
Much success,
Mike Cyra

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sarah, I agree with you about having a separate category on Amazon for Arthurian fiction. It's confusing for the browser to see that the category is there to be browsed but no new books are showing up in it!

Thanks for the compliment on the covers, Mike! The authors and I actually just "officially" finished up a campaign yesterday where 100% of our proceeds from the sale of Extinct since July 1 are being donated to the Save the Tasmanian Devils Program." Unofficially, we'll be extending that through the end of this month. When we registered our fundraiser with the Tassie Devils group, we made the provision that the end date might shift some...

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Beasties welcome !  and we might even have room to fit you in also !!

Welcome and the best of luck with all your projects....Keep Kool !

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, NapCat! Maybe my kitty and you can have a play date sometime?

BTW, the 4-month-old sweetie in the picture with me is a resident at a Big Cat refuge here in Texas I've had the pleasure to volunteer with. She's sucking down a turkey milkshake.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Phoenix and welcome.  As I am not far away in north Louisiana, I am sharing your sizzling summer.  Also, we apparently have a common affinity for animals as I am a retired wildlife biologist.  Best Wishes.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi, Phoenix, and welcome to the Boards. You have definitely piqued my interest in checking out your novel.
Bailey

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

@Colin: Doing something to benefit the Tassie Devils was an idea that all the authors of the anthology got behind, so I can't take all the credit for their generosity.

@Kelby: A wildlife biologist! *taking note in case I have any questions later* Do stay cool!

@Bailey: Thank you. I hope you enjoy it.

@Joel: Thanks. Nice to meet you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts