Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/7-books-that-could-be-the-next-twilight/

- Vampirates (Justin Somper)
- Percy Jackson And The Olympians (Rick Riordan)
- Vampire Academy (Richelle Mead)
- Noughts & Crosses (Malorie Blackman)
- Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer)
- Power Of Five: The Gatekeepers (Anthony Horowitz)
- Night World (LJ Smith)

All of these are series, and at least some (and maybe all) are available on Kindle.

·
Registered
229 Posts
CS said:
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/7-books-that-could-be-the-next-twilight/

- Vampirates (Justin Somper)
- Percy Jackson And The Olympians (Rick Riordan)
- Vampire Academy (Richelle Mead)
- Noughts & Crosses (Malorie Blackman)
- Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer)
- Power Of Five: The Gatekeepers (Anthony Horowitz)
- Night World (LJ Smith)

All of these are series, and at least some (and maybe all) are available on Kindle.
my youngest son loves the Percy Jackson series. It is really hard to find books for teen boys.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The article heading is a bit silly. If anything, some of these should be compared more to Harry Potter if any comparisons need to be made at all.

I downloaded a sample of the first Percy Jackson book last night. It's surprisingly good. None of the others really caught my eye. Am I missing any major gems? (Of course, I already have one of the LC Evans books from when it was a Kindle freebie.)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I actually read the first two books of the Percy Jackson series at the urging of a friend who is a English/Classic Mythology teacher.  Her students were all reading it and she thought she'd better see what it was all about.  We both loved it....and we're....um....about as far away as you can get from being preteen or teenage boys.  I haven't read the others listed at this point, but I'd actually say the Septimus Heap series should be on there as well.  I actually liked that series a little better than Harry Potter in some ways.

The Twilight books hold absolutely no interest for me though; too sappy and I refuse to believe in sparkling vampires.  LOL

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I had had the Percy Jackson first book on my Kindle "watch" list for quite awhile, so was pleased to see (last week? earlier this week?) that the series was finally Kindlized. Haven't tried them yet though. I've also got Vampire Academy and Night World on the get-around-to-some-day list. Never heard of some of the others.

I think the story just means which series could catch on to be the next big film thing, not what's most "like" Twilight story-wise...

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have read all the Artemis Fowl books and the Vampire Academy ones....I don't think they will gain the popularity of Twilight since no one seems to be reading them right now. I think Artemis has something like 5-6 out already and VA has 3-5 out. VA is not nearly as good as House of Night series (also vampires...or vampyres). I am currently reading the latest Artemis Fowl.

I can tell you that all the kids in the 6th grade around here are reading the House of Night series. I have 2 kids reading them and I can say, I started it! I recommended to my daughter that she read it and after she did, she did a report on it and it snowballed from there.

Pendragon is a good series too, not on that list.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You know, I dislike the whole idea of hits and everyone trying to find the next big thing.  There are 100s of better books than Lord of the Rings, 1000s better than Harry Potter, and probably 1000000s better than Twilight that never get into the limelight.  You just have to seek them out yourself.  But marketing departments want a brand to trumpet and promote with fanfare.   What's next? A Casey Kasemesque hits for books?  "Hey, kids, check out the the 45th sequel to Twilight climbing the charts this week."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts