Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full disclosure:
As the owner of a k1, I have no horse in the text to speech race. However, I generally click on stories that deal with kindles, and this one was no exception. I think the author makes some nice points, and provides specific illustrations about what he doesn't like about text to speech. I think this was a thoughtful article that was laid out very well, and although I didn't click on and listen to the examples (I am at work, after all), I appreciated that he backed up his assertions with comparisons. YMMV.

http://www.slate.com/id/2212800/

I haven't really looked into this, but I believe that overall, slate.com is pro kindle. At any rate, one of their editors recently published a book and included the kindle format in his initial release. But like I said, I haven't really explored all of the opinions. And I am VERY tired today.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is an interesting article. One thing that was funny, I was playing the TTS for my wife to get her opinion on whether or not legal action is appropriate against it. The one of the passages it spoke had the word angel in it 3 times, angel, angel and angels. When it pronounced them, it sounded like, angle, angel, and angles. Why it would mispronounced it most of the time but not EVERY time is strange.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It is a good article, and I agree that this could not replace audio books. However, I have been using this much more than I thought I would. For some reason, the weird robotic voice is MORE like reading to me - and I'm not really sure why. When I listen to audio books, it is almost like entertainment - sort of like watching TV. You don't have to put any thought into how the characters are feeling, it is all there. When I list to TTS, I have to sort of analyze who is saying what, and why - similar to when I am reading a book.

I am very much one of the people the TTS is aimed at: I used to be an avid reader, but now I am so busy with two very young children that I haven't really picked up a book in the last year. Now, I have been reading a ton because of the Kindle, but I have also been listening to TTs when I do dishes, laundry, etc.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BruceS said:
Maybe you just like someone with an accent reading to you. :)
lol, to be fair, who doesn't like that?

The one of the passages it spoke had the word angel in it 3 times, angel, angel and angels. When it pronounced them, it sounded like, angle, angel, and angles. Why it would mispronounced it most of the time but not EVERY time is strange.
If I read the article correctly (and I'm not insinuating for a minute that I did, since it just took me four tries to spell "insinuate", three tries to get "tries"...I am VERY tired today.), then maybe what happened was there was a misprint in the scan. So it wasn't misprouncing "angel", it was pronouncing "angle" correctly. I think what I read (but it's been more than 10 minutes, and I just came for the President Bush has one thread) was that the voices read thousands and thousands and thousands of just words, which are then magically (look, the technical details boggled me, okay?) matched with an optical scan of the source material. So maybe that one had a bad source. IDK. food for thought, in any case.
Food....now there's a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts