Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I love my Kindle for traveling as reading is one of the best ways to kill time on a plane.

However, if I could only have one gadget it would be my iPad for a personal trip where I don't need to work as I can read, but also surf the net, check e-mail, watch videos etc.  

Business trip my Laptop is the required gadget since I need to do work. :(

But I usually also take my Kindle on either kind of trip as I just prefer it for reading novels to the iPad or laptop.  If I ever get a smart phone, then the iPad would become less essentially as I mainly just want to stay in e-mail contact when traveling and the Kindle browser doesn't work with my main e-mail account (my work account).

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
When you are stuck in an airport say...in Boston...during a late-season N-r'easter...waiting...and waiting.  Nothing saves you like the Kindle!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I planning to take my new kindle with me on my travels. I just wonder how easy it will be to purchase more novels while in another country or if it is possible on an airplane. I bought the one with, I think it's called, Wi-fi--whatever it is called exactly--it's the one that you don't need a separate internet connection. Hope it works abroad. Has anyone tried theirs in other countries?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The 3G does work in other countries (as long as it's a Kindle 3--Kindle 2 it would depend on whether you have the later, global version or the US only original one; and the Kindle 1 was US only).

Pricing I'm not sure.  I know Kindle users in other countries pay extra fees etc., but I'm not sure if that applies to a person with a US Amazon account who is traveling.  In any case, the safe bet is to just load up with enough reading material for the trip and then you don't have to worry about pricing or ending up somewhere with no cell signal to use the 3G etc.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I bought the Kindle specifically for travel. Best investment I ever made. I love it. I do love the iPad as well and can take it with me instead of my laptop for work. But Kindle is still number one for me. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Reussie Miliardario said:
I planning to take my new kindle with me on my travels. I just wonder how easy it will be to purchase more novels while in another country or if it is possible on an airplane. I bought the one with, I think it's called, Wi-fi--whatever it is called exactly--it's the one that you don't need a separate internet connection. Hope it works abroad. Has anyone tried theirs in other countries?
You will NOT be able to purchase a book on the plane as all Wireless must be turned off while in flight. And, anyway, if your Kindle is the WiFi only model, you can't connect unless you're in range of a WiFi hotspot. In the US they're pretty easy to find in built up areas -- casual restaurants, public libraries, etc. Many hotels will have WiFi, though sometimes there's a charge. No idea about how easy they are to find overseas. I'd suggest making sure the device is pre-loaded with plenty of titles and then it won't matter. :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
You will NOT be able to purchase a book on the plane as all Wireless must be turned off while in flight. And, anyway, if your Kindle is the WiFi only model, you can't connect unless you're in range of a WiFi hotspot. In the US they're pretty easy to find in built up areas -- casual restaurants, public libraries, etc. Many hotels will have WiFi, though sometimes there's a charge. No idea about how easy they are to find overseas. I'd suggest making sure the device is pre-loaded with plenty of titles and then it won't matter. :)
Some airlines are now letting you connect to wireless while in flight, but there is a cost involved. I know that American Airlines and Air Canada have flights that wireless is available on. I'm trying to remember the airline I flew on that also had wireless. I think it was Delta. I do agree the best thing is to load it up with books and not have to worry about getting a connection while traveling. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was curious about this statement:
We got into the habit of forwarding tickets and reservations straight to our kindle.com addresses, which all Kindle owners have. (Oddly, this is the one part of international service that's not free, but the price is negligible: $0.99 per megabyte for documents delivered this way.)
Is there really a way to just forward an email? Perhaps I'm just incorrectly assuming the information referred to was in email form. I know that I can email an attachment to my Kindle address, but that involves a couple more steps than a simple forward. Also, do you think the author does not know about the free.kindle.free.com/has an older model/ or are there locations where that service is unavailable?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Kathy said:
Some airlines are now letting you connect to wireless while in flight, but there is a cost involved. I know that American Airlines and Air Canada have flights that wireless is available on. I'm trying to remember the airline I flew on that also had wireless. I think it was Delta. I do agree the best thing is to load it up with books and not have to worry about getting a connection while traveling. :)
Yeah most coast to coast and international flights have WiFi now. And Delta is one of the airlines that first started it so almost all their flights have it.

But its pricey (usually $10-12, some times there's a free trial if you make a new account though) and is per device (so if you bought it on your Kindle you couldn't use it on your laptop or iPad). There's also an authentication page you have to go through, and that page may not work in the Kindle browser (I've never tried).

So unless you can get on for free that trip, it's not going to be worth the cost to download a book since the Kindle web browser is so limited for other purposes.

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
labread said:
I was curious about this statement:
Is there really a way to just forward an email? Perhaps I'm just incorrectly assuming the information referred to was in email form. I know that I can email an attachment to my Kindle address, but that involves a couple more steps than a simple forward. Also, do you think the author does not know about the free.kindle.free.com/has an older model/ or are there locations where that service is unavailable?
You can't just forward an email, but you can send an email with an attachment. So, yeah, that's a way to get a copy of your ticket on your kindle. Whether or not it would be scannable at the gate I can't say. . . I've heard stories both ways.

With the free.kindle.com address, it won't go directly to your Kindle until you connect to WiFi. Otherwise, it comes back to your email address of record per your Amazon account and you side load it. . .good for conversion, anyway. So that option wouldn't be available at all for anyone without at least a K3, and wouldn't even do a K3 owner any good unless they can get to a WiFi spot -- assuming the idea is to have it go wirelessly to the Kindle.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It really is the ultimate travel gadget.  I took both my iPad and my Kindle3 with me to Key West.  I took the iPad in place of my laptop.  And it was good mix.  I took my kindle with me to the beach etc.  And used my iPad when we were back at our condo in the evening or before we went out.  I also played games while waiting in the airport for both my flight and my sisters to arrive.The beautiful thing is both will connect to my LG Ally if I need a 3G hot spot. 

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your using WIFI ( and as thats what you would be using)there are no international delivery fees, if you had the 3g model it would be free to have books purchased delivered but if you subscribe to periodicals or newspapers there would be a fee.
I dont think i know a kindle user that only buys books as they need them, most of us are book- a -holics  and have several (dozen) just waiting in the wings to be read..
have a great holiday
jen

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
I love my Kindle, but when I travel, the Kindle stays home, and the iPad (plus my Android phone) goes into the carry-on.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I absolutely LOVE taking my Kindle with me on my travels.  Even though I don't read it, it's with me 24/7...traveling or not.  I enjoy having all of my books and 3G connection at my fingertips.  I used to carry a backpack with me to fit my books.  Now I have something much smaller, about the size of a medium purse, to put in my trusty Kindle during the day as I am out and about.  I haven't gotten used to taking my iPad though...but it does add bulk of the weight to my light bag as it's the heaviest item.  So most of the time, my WIFI only iPad stays home.

Tris

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
tubemonkey said:
Nice article, though my Kindle wouldn't work as well since I have a WiFi only KSO.
I have a Wifi only Kindle and iPad.

If I travel, I make sure to stay in places with WiFi. Personal trips I look specifically for places with free wifi. For conferences etc. for work, it's usually paid wifi but I can get reimbursed for that.

And add in that I mainly only travel to big cities (and live in one) and there are a ton of coffee shops, delis, pubs, book stores and even McDonalds with free wifi these days, and I just couldn't see paying the extra $50 for a 3G Kindle or the extra $130 (plus a monthly fee) for the 3G iPad.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts