Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This from an article that can be found here:
http://www.newsobserver.com/299/story/1525067.html

"If you're wondering why Amazon brought out a new edition of its Kindle reader so soon after Kindle 2, the answer is onrushing competition, particularly large-screen readers from companies such as Plastic Logic.

Sales of books in the Kindle format are surging. In fact, when a book is available for the Kindle, its Kindle sales now account for 35 percent of its total sales on the Amazon site. The company has drawn interest from newspaper and textbook publishers, each of whom could use a large-screen format to good advantage.

Large numbers of books are published for highly specialized audiences, which means small publishing runs and high prices. One book I desperately needed for research a few years back was intended for university libraries and published in such small quantity that Amazon's price was $139 for a tome about the size of a small novel. Small press runs were made for electronic devices, where costs could be sharply curtailed, so it's a no-brainer to see the new Kindle DX as a major play in the textbook market. Anyone who has had to buy new textbooks for college courses knows how extravagant prices can be.

I focus on textbooks rather than newspapers because it's going to take time to see whether the latter can use the Kindle DX's 9.7-inch screen to boost their subscriber base. As we wait on experiments by The New York Times and others, offering packaged subscription deals that include a Kindle, the pricey DX ($489) has already attracted Pearson, Wiley and Cengage Learning, three of the major textbook publishers, who account for 60 percent of all textbook sales (McGraw Hill is the missing major player).

A number of universities will offer experimental programs using Kindle DX this fall.

The model works, but Kindle DX needs a touch screen for textbook use, for writing and making notes is a major part of how students learn. Thumb-typing on the machine's tiny keyboard should be as laborious on the DX as it is on earlier Kindles, while a touch screen would let readers highlight a passage for underlining or tap a word to retrieve a definition.

I see Kindle DX as a transitional product that points to the tech nology changes needed to make the electronic textbook model stick (and it will). Touch screen electronic ink is about a year away, with color options coming by 2011 or so. "

·
Registered
711 Posts
Meh >_> Highlighting and taking notes is simple enough as it is, and while I'm all for color, I hope it can be done without seriously damaging the page refresh time and battery life- that $1,000 color e-ink screen in Japan, I heard has only a two or three day battery life and a long wait while the page refreshes.

Also, if anyone's ever seen Sony's Prs-700, their touch screen deal is kinda a hot mess; the words are blurry through the multiple layer on the screen and getting rid of the glare is just about impossible due to the added touch screen.

And just personally, I hate touch screens. I need the tactile feel of a button being depressed to know that I have actually pressed the key that I had meant to. So I guess I'll never own an i-phone >_>. Also, I imagine trying to read on the screen with fingerprints all over it won't exactly be fun either...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info. Very informative indeed. Keep it coming on what you see can be beneficial to others.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sugar,

I don't think anyone has a problem that  Amazon feels a need to beat the competition by being the first company to market a large screen E-reader.  Where there is an issue is why not announce this at the time that the Kindle 2 became available so that consumers would have an educated informed choice of which product is best suited for their current needs?  If the each product fulfills a different niche then all the more reason to announce the coming those products at the same time- "if one of our products isn't exactly what you are looking for don't settle for second best we have another available in a few months".  An informed choice is always better.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Anarel said:
Meh >_>

Also, if anyone's ever seen Sony's Prs-700, their touch screen deal is kinda a hot mess; the words are blurry through the multiple layer on the screen and getting rid of the glare is just about impossible due to the added touch screen.
That isn't true. I own one and have for more than six months. Its screen image, side by side, is like the k2. I can read it without any problems. There is no more glare than there is on anything with a glass screen. Could it be improved? Of course. So could all the Kindles. But the 700 is very readable and a great ereader. The K2 and the Sony 700 are the two best I've ever used. And I think both companies will continue to improve their product. I actually ordered the DX, but than canceled it, to stick with my K2 and Sony, because I've decided to skip a generation or two and see which one comes out with the better color one. Which I never considered important until I got the iphone application for Kindle and saw some of what I was missing :eek: .

As for the touch screen, it is much easier to type in, quickly, notes and such on the Sony. Much, much, easier. I use the stylus that comes with it, so no finger prints. You can turn the pages with a swipe on the screen, or with the buttons. I use the buttons.

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
Anarel said:
Red said:
That isn't true. I own one and have for more than six months. Its screen image, side by side, is like the k2. I can read it without any problems. There is no more glare than there is on anything with a glass screen.
Well, I guess it was true for Anarel. I haven't seen a 700 so I won't comment on readability but, possibly, there are differences between different 700s just as we have seen that there are differences between different Kindles. Also, what's acceptable to one may not be acceptable to another, and vice versa. I think we can all agree on that!

Ann

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I think we've also seen that once you use a device a few days you get used to the differences in fonts and such.  Just looking at a display in a store and actually using one for a while are not the same.  Many people here had issues with the k2.  Then after they had used them for awhile, have posted they now perfer them over the k1.  My point was that all the ereaders look a little different, and you have to adjust to the difference.  But that doesn't make it "a hot mess".  I think unless someone has given it a fair go, it is unfair to post a blanket statement like that as it is when posting a one star review on the kindle because you played with a friends for a few minutes and didn't like it. JMO.

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
Red said:
But that doesn't make it "a hot mess". I think unless someone has given it a fair go, it is unfair to post a blanket statement like that as it is when posting a one star review on the kindle because you played with a friends for a few minutes and didn't like it. JMO.
You are correct. But you don't know that the poster you were responding to hadn't given it 'a fair go' and found it wanting. You said that what she said was 'not true'. . .but from her perspective it was.

Let's move on. . . .

Ann (playing mod :) )
CARD

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
whatever  :mad:  , but I do know it is not true because she said "if anyone's ever seen..." , and since I own one, I know and I am an "anyone" I feel correct.  But, use your "mod card" however you want.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

I don't own one myself, but I did have the opportunity to play with a friend of mine's while I was going through my kindle debacle. I had compared it with Kindles 1-3 since I had them all at the same time, and those were my observations based upon that experience.

Maybe my friend had a less than perfect prs-700, and again, what is fine for one person may be far from fine for another , so then it's just a matter of taste, but the prs-700 had too much glare, and the words were not as clear as on any of my multiple kindles.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Good info in the original article, and interesting viewpoints on the various readers.  We have several if not many readers with both a Sony and a Kindle.  There are even things on my Palm T/X as a reader that I like better than the Kindle, LOL!  Different strokes for different folks!

Both sides have said their piece, defended their position and made their points.  Since we can't do arm wrestling here, as Moderator Ann said, let's move on! 

Betsy
;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Well, I guess it was true for Anarel. I haven't seen a 700 so I won't comment on readability but, possibly, there are differences between different 700s just as we have seen that there are differences between different Kindles. Also, what's acceptable to one may not be acceptable to another, and vice versa. I think we can all agree on that!

Ann
And one of those 'another' was David Pogue of the New York Times at
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/technology/personaltech/26pogue-email.html?_r=2&8cir&emc=cir

Now, I have an entry on the two Sonys compared by a reviewer, and the photo seems to show a defective screen actually (no one noticing it's not a normal PRS-700 screen, with some extra light on it, but even where it's darker you can see the words are not as clear. Maybe the photograph just has a harder time picking up the font. What's interesting are his explanations about the idiosyncracies of the e-ink screen -- his mild complaints sound very much like some posts about some K2 screens.

- http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009/05/sony-reader-screen-comparisons-and.html

·
Registered
615 Posts
Red said:
That isn't true. I own one and have for more than six months. Its screen image, side by side, is like the k2. I can read it without any problems. There is no more glare than there is on anything with a glass screen.
. . .
As for the touch screen, it is much easier to type in, quickly, notes and such on the Sony. Much, much, easier. I use the stylus that comes with it, so no finger prints. You can turn the pages with a swipe on the screen, or with the buttons. I use the buttons.
That's interesting. The K2 is not easy to type on, quickly, though I'm getting quicker on it, but I preferred the K1 keyboard -- and the DX one looks good to me.

I've read that a lot of people tend to prefer the buttons after having fun with the swiped page-turn after awhile.

How do you like the side lighting?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I rarely use the light. I have on planes and such, and it works fine, but like any device with abuilt in light the battery drains with use. It isnice in a pinch, but if I have my mighty bright with me I use it instead.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Red said:
I rarely use the light. I have on planes and such, and it works fine, but like any device with abuilt in light the battery drains with use. It isnice in a pinch, but if I have my mighty bright with me I use it instead.
Thanks for that info, Red. I'm surprised though! Never at night in bed? Even with the
Sony plugged in so you don't have to worry about the battery?

I guess you use the mighty bright because there's no drain on the sony battery...

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
artsandhistoryfan said:
Thanks for that info, Red. I'm surprised though! Never at night in bed? Even with the
Sony plugged in so you don't have to worry about the battery?

I guess you use the mighty bright because there's no drain on the sony battery..
I haven't read in bed since I was a little kid and had to hide under the covers with a flashlight! I stay up and read in a comfortable chair until I'm tired, then I go to bed. It doesn't matter the form of the material I'm reading.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts