Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions and figure I should go about them one at a time since they sort of interrelate and co-mingle somewhat and may build on each other. I think I understand most of them but just need to have some things either confirmed or corrected for me. I appreciate most of you being gentle with me...

First area of questions.
Re: ARCHIVING

If I use the ARCHIVE function on my Kindle (v.K2),
this in effect removes those books from my actual Kindle (or not)?

But they are now ONLY on the Amazon "storage" system.
And I am able to get them back anytime I want via Wispernet (or if out of range) via hooking up to Amazon from my computer.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Archived books are no longer on your Kindle but they are on amazon.....hence archived. And yes you use whispernet to return them to your kindle.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay got that confirmed.
Further, if we can archive right from the Kindle and then can re-access them anytime we want...

Why would anyone want to have pages and pages of home page listing of books on their Kindle?

In part since there is little way to organize or use folders etc... It seems to me (and certainly for me) that I would only want or need 1,2 maybe tops 3 pages of books listed in my " Home" section and the rest would be "Archived".

If I have 6,7 or even more pages of Homepage listed books it just seems unwieldy.

BTW, when I say books I am including newspapers, magazines....

Next...
Eric

P.S. this is exactly where I am at now, I havce 3 pages of HOME pages and I have started to archive 1. those that I have already read, and 2. others that I have not yet read. But I am keeping about 2+ pages worth in my Home sectio at all times.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I archive the books that I've read......but I suppose you could also archive the ones that you haven't read yet. Though I'd be worried about forgetting a book if it was archived and then never getting around to reading it KWIM? I also only have 3 pages on my home screen and I keep it so that the books I'm currently reading are in the top.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pomlover2586 said:
I also only have 3 pages on my home screen and I keep it so that the books I'm currently reading are in the top.
How do you sort like that?

EL

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
When you go into a book it automatically brings it to the top of the list......so say for example i download 5 samples.....I read those samples and then I open back up whatever books I was in the middle of reading and it brings those back to the top......make sense?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pomlover2586 said:
When you go into a book it automatically brings it to the top of the list......so say for example i download 5 samples.....I read those samples and then I open back up whatever books I was in the middle of reading and it brings those back to the top......make sense?
So you are using MOST RECENT FIRST as your sort method?

I seem to prefer alphabetical by author...
Yet the standard doesn't seem to always work.
ie: Sonny Barger, Booker T. Washington, Patricia Briggs.

EL

First name, last name first etc...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I am not able to do sort by most recent. My K2 has never seen WN and has no clue what time it is. I have been with CS 4 times to no avail. It should fix when I get to WN land.
Sylvia

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pomlover2586 said:
.but I suppose you could also archive the ones that you haven't read yet. Though I'd be worried about forgetting a book if it was archived and then never getting around to reading it KWIM?
But the Archive Section on the K also lists all that is archived... so it is easy to see what is in what I will call longer term storage. I guess until we have real folders or better options for organization my point is that for me I can't just have endless pages of Home Page listings.

When I got to 3 today I realized what was starting to happen, that is really what brught this all up.

I also do not, can not, read multiple books at the same time. Maybe one fiction and one dog training book or a manual of some sort, but I can't read multiple fictional or even a mix of fiction and bio etc... I just get lost.

Eric

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sylvia said:
I am not able to do sort by most recent. My K2 has never seen WN and has no clue what time it is. I have been with CS 4 times to no avail. It should fix when I get to WN land.
Sylvia
What method of sorting does your K do with no WN access?

Eric

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
ELDogStar said:
Okay got that confirmed.
Further, if we can archive right from the Kindle and then can re-access them anytime we want...

Why would anyone want to have pages and pages of home page listing of books on their Kindle?

In part since there is little way to organize or use folders etc... It seems to me (and certainly for me) that I would only want or need 1,2 maybe tops 3 pages of books listed in my " Home" section and the rest would be "Archived".

If I have 6,7 or even more pages of Homepage listed books it just seems unwieldy.

BTW, when I say books I am including newspapers, magazines....

Next...
Eric

P.S. this is exactly where I am at now, I havce 3 pages of HOME pages and I have started to archive 1. those that I have already read, and 2. others that I have not yet read. But I am keeping about 2+ pages worth in my Home sectio at all times.
The books in the Archive are ONLY Amazon purchases and also don't include items that you email to Amazon that can be downloaded via the wireless.

·
Registered
493 Posts
pomlover2586 said:
Archived books are no longer on your Kindle but they are on amazon.....hence archived. And yes you use whispernet to return them to your kindle.
Love a girl who can use "hence" plausibly in a sentence ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts