Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a thread here about the "look inside the book" feature of the book I just published (Oct 20th) not showing up and the difficulty I've been having trying to get Amazon to fix the situation. Today on the thread I mentioned that the "look inside" feature on my previously published books on Amazon UK also using Mobi files suddenly lost their "look insides" about a month.

When one of the posters on the "look inside" thread named "Thalstead" mentioned that he was having the same problem I asked what the name of his book was. I waited for an answer, but curious I checked out his name from his book cover ("Tad Thalstead") and looked up his books on both Amazon US and UK and YUP his books didn't have "look inside" either.

Now here's the thing Tad's older books published before october still had the "look inside" feature but his book set published in october didn't have the feature. Then I remembered someone on my "Look inside the book" thread posted something about Amazon doing something different with enhanced typesetting and page flipping and the like to "improve reader experience":

https://www.kdpcommunity.com/s/article/Coming-October-2020-File-Ingestion-Requirement?language=en_US

And when did Amazon start doing this? October of course.

Could this new feature be the cause of the problems being had (no "look inside" feature, problems with Mobi book files showing up, etc) with the Mobi files? I don't know.

But what I do know is that Amazon won't know there's a problem unless and until those having this problem inform Amazon that they're having this problem too. SO SPEAK UP!!!

Dee

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE! Amazon fixed the look inside for my book. BUT it only shows up at Amazon US, CA, GER, and Japan, not at Amazon UK. What the hell is wrong with Amazon UK? And when you try to contact them through kindle you get Amazon US and they tell you they aren't in control of Amazon UK. Seriously?

But at least my situation is "sorta fixed" and I'll take it for right now. But you guys should push to get your situations fixed if you're having the same problem that I had. It took me several phone calls over several days pushing Amazon to fix my problem and you should too.

Good luck.

Dee

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Amazon UK isn't even updating my covers, never mind the look inside.

I only just switched to Epubs though, so I'll upload the content again and see if that fixes it.

Mind you, I have paperbacks on the UK site which are still showing covers from 3 years ago.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simon Haynes said:
Amazon UK isn't even updating my covers, never mind the look inside.

I only just switched to Epubs though, so I'll upload the content again and see if that fixes it.

Mind you, I have paperbacks on the UK site which are still showing covers from 3 years ago.
Yeah, that sucks. I actually had a conversation with my artist/creative partner about not using Mobi in the future and using Calibre instead. I wanted to make a price change to my book for the holiday season but I'm anxious about touching it now and having something go wrong again after just getting things fixed. I'm tired of talking to kindle customer service.

Dee

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
There's been an issue with Look Inside for over a month now. It's not a new issue, and Amazon will fix it at some point. I suspect they've done the usual October Surprise, changing things in the algorithm, which always messes something up.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Darryl Hughes said:
Yeah, that sucks. I actually had a conversation with my artist/creative partner about not using Mobi in the future and using Calibre instead. I wanted to make a price change to my book for the holiday season but I'm anxious about touching it now and having something go wrong again after just getting things fixed. I'm tired of talking to kindle customer service.

Dee
I just altered yWriter so I can set up multiple ebook exporters, instead of just one each of mobi or epub. (I did the same for LaTeX export last month.) I just unticked Mobi in my Amazon Kindle exporter and ticked Epub instead, and have been uploading the latter for the last few days.

(yWriter exports HTML, then uses Calibre as the actual converter.)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
unkownwriter said:
There's been an issue with Look Inside for over a month now. It's not a new issue, and Amazon will fix it at some point. I suspect they've done the usual October Surprise, changing things in the algorithm, which always messes something up.
Yeah, I know it's been a problem for a while, I think I mentioned that the look inside disappeared from all my books on Amazon UK in like august, and a good deal of my sales there disappeared with them. Folks like to "look inside" a book before they buy it. It's like flipping through the pages of a book in a bookstore and for some folks on Amazon what they see inside when they "look inside" is a big selling point. I'm sure Amazon will fix it, especially if authors start complaining. But fixing it "at some point" isn't helping folks now.

Dee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts