Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang.
I have noticed a couple of threads today that made me feel I should say something.
First off, if you see a promotion that guarantees an exact number of reviews, downloads or will make you an instant best seller. Run away from it. It is most likely a scam.

Even Bookbub does not guarantee the number you will sell.

Buying reviews is never a good idea. Not even the $20 for 10 reviews especially if you have to send a copy of the book.

Now I know you are all authors and reasonably smart. My advice would be look at any site that wants your money from a reader point of view. Is the site reader friendly? What does the site promise the reader? Is there a link where you can join as a reader?

Please use common sense. There are too many predators.

Note to any marketers reading this: if I start asking questions, give me a straight answer not a run around answer.
Tell me why as a reader I should use your site instead of someone else's.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Chris Fox said:
What if they're asking $725 for a review? Seems legit.
That better be a NYT front page review. I won't settle for anything less.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris Fox said:
What if they're asking $725 for a review? Seems legit.
Kirkus raised their price.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
David VanDyke said:
It's amusing that apparently, paying a lot for a review makes it legit, but paying a little makes it cheating.
I was referencing a thread from a few days back where a scammer popped up on the boards and offered 'rush reviews'. They were charing $725.

Kirkus charges around 400, but those are editorial reviews not standard Amazon reviews.

·
Registered
656 Posts
This all ^

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Always read the fine print.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very helpful!

I read somewhere that paying for reviews is illegal in the US unless the reviewer specifically states they were endorsed, but I've never done any research to find out whether or not that's true.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Lottie said:
Very helpful!

I read somewhere that paying for reviews is illegal in the US unless the reviewer specifically states they were endorsed, but I've never done any research to find out whether or not that's true.
It's not illegal, just unethical. And against the various book vendors' terms of service.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
David VanDyke said:
It's amusing that apparently, paying a lot for a review makes it legit, but paying a little makes it cheating.
But, they'll give you an honest review! They might even read the whole book!

Cherise Kelley said:
It's not illegal, just unethical. And against the various book vendors' terms of service.
Amazon's TOS says that the only thing that can be given in exchange for a review is a free copy of the book, and the review must disclose that they got a copy. Apparently, you can pay for a review -- i.e. a Kirkus review -- but it must be posted in the editorial review section, not as a customer review.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Please use common sense.  There are too many predators. 

*THIS*^^^^ 

Everyone has common sense, I think sometimes people forget to use it.
If something doesn't "feel" right, then it's probably not.

·
Registered
164 Posts
but they promised me I would be #1 on the NYT best sellers list, I would be richer than Scrooge McDuck, and that I would fit in a 32 inch waist jean again all for the low low cost of my soul...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I guess your soul was insufficient

·
Registered
252 Posts
gljones said:
Please use common sense. There are too many predators.

*THIS*^^^^

Everyone has common sense, I think sometimes people forget to use it.
If something doesn't "feel" right, then it's probably not.
Hope and excitement override common sense sometimes. We are drunk on the possibilities! We've been working on this thing for years/months/days/HOURS, and finally, a break! The realization of all our dreams! *grab* *rope snaps* *Wilhelm scream*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts