Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I made the laborious journey of ripping an audiobook and converting it to MP3 format, renumbering the tracks from all four disks in a sequential fashion, and placing the book into my Kindle's Audible.com folder. 

The next thing that signaled trouble was when every track was shown on the home page.  When I played the first track, it was wonderful...particularly on the headphones.  However at the end of track #1, it just stopped.  There was no way, short of bringing the homepage back up and selecting track #2, to get it to continue playing.  I am not going through this process for all 32 tracks in the book!

I have decided that I will not be using my Kindle to listen to audiobooks.  That's what standalone MP3 players are very good at.  Perhaps a legitimate Audible.com download would function more easily....at least I hope so if I'm paying for the downloaded book.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm a long-time Audible subscriber too and have been very happy with how their audiobooks work.  Haven't tried any on the kindle yet (I use my iPod) but I'm sure it would go better than ripping from CDs.  Don't give up yet!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
never tried to put them on my kindle. I keep my audiobooks on my Zune. I was about to put my audiobook (that I just ripped) to my kindle...but now i am going to wait.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm not planning to put audiobooks on my K2, but I did put them on KK.  One thing that you may want to try is a MP3 joiner.  You can put all 32 tracks together in one big file.  Since Kindle remembers where you were when you were last listening to it, you don't have to worry about what you will do when you reach the end of the file.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use audible as well due to my insanely long commute every day but I have taken to ripping some audiobooks.  I've used Itunes and have joined the tracks before ripping them to the computer.  That way each disk is it's own file...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've used Audible for years as well.  Just recently downloaded my first audiobooks to K2.  The download was very easy and much faster than loading to my Palm Treo.  Of the two, I still prefer listening on my phone - for two main reasons.  The phone is much more portable, so I slip it in my pocket and listen to books while I'm cleaning, driving, walking, etc.  Also, the ability to fast-forward or reverse on K2 takes forever beacuse you have to follow a 2 click process to move in 30 second intervals over and over depending on how far back or forward you'd like to go.  (This might just be a personal issue for me as I often zone out while listening and have to go back sometimes several minutes to re-listen)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your suggestions.

Convergence of technology has appeal...but as we have become accustomed to excellence in performance, when the convergence of technology yields a more cumbersome experience (i.e. ripping audiobooks to the Kindle), it is better to have separate pieces of equipment to accomplish their respective roles in a superior fashion.

Since I am a cheapie at heart (or, in the vernacular: a frugal person), I normally get my audiobooks at the library or by free digital download from the library.  While Audible is a convenient service, I have a hard time paying for what I can get for free in other ways. 

The question bouncing around in your mind may be "If you're a cheapie, why would you buy a Kindle?"  Well, I do have my gadget weakness...and the K2 was a Christmas gift anyway.

Thanks again for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts