Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never listened to an Audio Book.  I am somewhat hearing impaired but recedntly purchased a little tiny mp3 player and I can hear the music, and radio on it.

Are there any free Audio books that I could try to find out how I like listening instead of reading?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Dori said:
Are there any free Audio books that I could try to find out how I like listening instead of reading?
No doubt there are. I would never suggest doing something like going to the library and checking out audio books there and transferring them to your MP3 player, as that would be illegal.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.  If I checked out an audio book what would I play it on?  the computer?  I don't want to sit at the computer and listen to a book.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Dori, Check with your library. Many libraries offer audiobooks that you can download to your mp3 player. You check it out from the library just like a regular book. Once it's "due", unless you renew you can no longer play it on your player. It's just like checking out a book (and it's a legal way to do it)

Another option is Audible.com. It's not free, but they have a special for $7.49/month for the first three months. You get 1 credit for that price and the majority of their books are only 1 credit. After that it goes to $14.95/month for 1 credit or $22.95 for 2 credits. But you can cancel after the first month if you decide it's not for you.

BTW, Water for Elephants is an EXCELLENT audio book. It's normal price on Audible is $24.46, so that $7.49 is a pretty good bargain.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Another option is Audible.com.
Here's a link where you can get a 14-day trial, and one free credit, which will cover a majority of books. I don't believe it is necessary to enter a credit card for this trial:

www.audible.com/twit

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you for your help.  I have been searching the internet and have found some free audio books and will try one of those and see how I like listening to a book.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've tried audio books, and I don't care for them as a medium. However, I do listen to a lot of podcasts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just a reminder: You can make any mp3 show up as an audio book on your Kindle. Just put it in the Audible folder on your Kindle. If it doesn't show up, you'll need to add something called "ID3" tags to the mp3 file, which is an easy process detailed in this topic.

Works for me, and it saves the hassle of dealing with an mp3 player in addition to the Kindle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts