Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys/Gals, has anyone here had any experience with audiobook makers? I ask because I want to convert my book "The Talking Sword" into an audiobook. I looked into the Amazon partner one first but they want to charge me $1020.00 to convert it and I think that's outrageous, there must be a better cheaper alternative somewhere. I'm willing to pay $500 for the job but I’m looking for a male reader, because the main character is male. Any suggestions?

Carl

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Hi Carl,

I looked around for you and there isn't much available to you that would be lower in cost as the pro studios with voice do cost a lot.

Do you feel you would be capable of reading it yourself?  If so, there are a lot of programs that can be downloaded to help you do this.  I would love to do that with mine too, but it isn't possible with this old computer.  Good luck!

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Hi, Carl.

50,000 words is about five hours of finished audio which would take about twenty hours to produce. There aren't many people who'd be willing to do that for $25/hour. That $1000 quote is a pretty good one. $50/hour is a bargain rate -- most voice people charge at least $100.

FWIW, I've podcast all eight of my books. I started in 2007 and my audience grew from zero to about 20,000 worldwide today. By doing it myself (and giving the podcasts away for free) I created the kind of fanbase that results in really excellent sales for the text based versions. My latest book released on Thursday and is already about #185 in the kindle store after only 48 hours.

If you're interested in this approach, visit podiobooks.com and see what else is going on there. There's an active community of podiobook authors at community.podiobooks.com who can help you over the hurdle as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone reading this discussion make certain to check out Nathan's post. He is the man when it comes to audio-versions of novels! First and last word - the only words you need - are Nathan's. Go to Podiobooks.com and do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
DChase said:
Check out www.PerfectVoices.net. Looks like you could get it done for as little as about $300. This is the same production place Zoe Winters used.
This might be a good way to go. I'm producing a book for them myself. The deal isn't (usually) a straight cash transaction but rather a percentage of the profits deal. As such, it's potentially quite lucrative for the voice as well as the author.

·
Registered
181 Posts
$1000 is actually a bargain for good voice work.  My first book is coming out from Audible.com with the ACX program, but I know you have to get approval to use that.  It's not really self publishing for Audio books and I'm not sure how to get in without an invitation. 

Perfect Voices sounds great, I would be interested to see how that works out. I would love to know how that works out. 

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was just what I was looking for, thanks DChase. I chose the first Tier, which means I'll only have to fork out $500. In the long run it's going to actually cost me more than a $1000 but it's a more comfortable way of doing it, at least for me. There's a bonus as well, they treat your audio book like smashwords treats their's by sending it off to all the places (like Amazon) that deal with the sale of Audiobooks.

TIER #1:

This tier is intended for beginning or newer authors without a proven sales track record. It allows a book to get into audio format for a much smaller up front fee, but has a narrower range of possible narrators. All of our packages are contingent on the author finding a narrator they are happy with who is willing to work for the amount specified in the package. Tier #1 is broken down like this:

Initial upfront cost (per finished hour*) $50 ($25 goes to the narrator)
Your intial royalty percentage 10%
Royalty “Flip-point”** (upfront + royalties) $25 + $100 = $125 pfh
Your royalty after the “Flip” 40%
Narrator selection Limited
* Divide your total word count by 9600 to get an estimate of the total hours.
** Multiply the finished hour by this number. This is your “flip” number. Once the narrator has earned this much in royalties and upfront payments, the narrator has been paid their fee and the royalty “flips” in your favor.
Example:

A 96,000 word book will end up being 10 hours long.
Your initial upfront cost = $500 (10 x $50)
You earn a royalty of 10% until the narrator earns an additional $1000.
After that, you earn 40% royalty on net earnings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIER #2:

This tier is a little more expensive for the author up front. It is geared toward authors with somewhat of a fan base and track record who are less of a risk for the narrator – in other words, more books will sell more quickly, and the “flip” point will be reached sooner You also earn a higher commission before and after the flip. This tier opens up the field of available narrators more than the previous tier.

Initial upfront cost (per finished hour) $100 ($50 goes to the narrator)
Your intial royalty percentage 20%
Royalty “Flip-point” (upfront + royalties) $50+ $100 = $150 pfh
Your royalty after the “Flip” 50%
Narrator selection Moderate
Example:

Your initial upfront cost = $1000 (10 x $100)
You earn a royalty of 20% until the narrator earns as additional $500.
After that, you earn 50% royalty on net earnings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIER #3:

This plan targets established authors with good sales track records whose work has not yet reached audio, or who would like to take charge of their own audio career. This also widens the pool of available narrators, as it nears the rates paid by professional audiobook publishers.

Initial upfront cost (per finished hour) $150 ($100 goes to the narrator)
Your intial royalty percentage 30%
Royalty “Flip-point” (upfront + royalties) $100 + $100 = $200 pfh
Your royalty after the “Flip” 55%
Narrator selection Wide
Example:

Your initial upfront cost = $1500 (10 x $150)
You earn a royalty of 30% until the narrator earns an additional $1000.
After that, you earn 45% royalty on net earnings.

TIER #4:

This is the “Cadillac Plan” for established authors, or any author who does not want to share the royalty on their project with the narrator. This plan is a full buyout of the content. It opens up to all Perfect Voice narrators, and if a suitable narrator is not present in the pool, we will recruit more. This is a full service audiobook package.

Initial upfront cost (per finished hour) $250 ($200 goes to the narrator)
Your royalty percentage (lifetime) 70%
Narrator selection Unlimited
Example:

Your initial upfront cost = $2500 (10 x $250)
There is no flip point so you earn 70% forever.

Note: We do not guarantee producing or publishing every book submitted. We reserve the right to accept/reject any submissions based upon content that may not align with our publishing goals.

Thanks again

Carl

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You're welcome, Carl. Yes, there is a royalty split, but for those of us on a tight budget it may be worth it to get into the audio side of things. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I actually have Zoe's audiobook (I am a audiobook junkie), and it is done very professionally. No complaints here.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm the Producer at Perfect Voices and I wanted to make sure I was available for any questions you might have.

As for the disclaimer, that's simply there in case we run into something we find offensive. For the most part, we will produce any content that comes our way. but after we ran into something with horrible descriptions of child rape, we had to give ourselves an out.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.