Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supanova is the biggest (as far as I know!) pop culture convention in Australia- http://www.supanova.com.au/
Last year I had a table in their Artists Alley selling my books and art and it was FANTASTIC. So much fun and well and truly financially viable (at least for me, although I have slightly more merch than the average author).
I'm just booking my spot again, and it would be great to see some other KB authors attending! It's not until the weekend of June 21st for Sydney.
Who's in?

I hear there's at least one KBer attending the Melbourne and Gold Coast shows, but not Sydney. Hugh Howey I think his name is? ;D http://www.supanova.com.au/news/reading-feast-supanova/

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's $220 for a 6" table in Artists Alley. People do share sometimes I think, which could be good, get a mini panel of authors going :)
The crowds are huge, enthusiastic and targeted for fantasy/sci-fi and other similar genres. I had only had one novel and one novella (paperbacks) on sale, almost hidden amongst my art, but ignoring sales on my art it would have still been worth it.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
*looks at site*

I have five books in print versions, maybe six by that time. It could be worth it. I'm selling at Conflux in April, but June gives me more than enough time to re-order.

Would you be interested in sharing? Or is there enough space to do that?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure I'd be interested in sharing :)
I was considering getting 2 tables anyway, so I might go ahead with that, then if you and anyone else wants to share, we can split the second table. If not, I'll just use both  :)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Hey Selina

I'd be interested, and would split a table with you guys, but probably just for the experience. I can't imagine selling any of my particular books in print, seeing as they don't sell online.
(Profit-wise, by the time I ship some books from createspace in the US, that's as good as any profit gone anyway? Which wouldn't bother me.)

Sounds cool :) :)

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
I'll be shipping from Createspace. The discount for authors is pretty good, and the crappy US dollar makes shipping not an issue. You can sell full-length novels for $20, about $10 cheaper than the bookshops, and still make a profit.

Createspace shipments for Australia come from Germany.

Come on and join us. With your books.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Patty, I've shipped from createspace before, and yeah, their author discount is pretty good :)
The dollar has gone a bit the other way - I only know that because I make money daily with advertising space in the US.
Full-length novels for $20?? I thought I'd have to sell for around $10 and then just break even if I'm lucky (and if i sell any).

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Anya said:
Patty, I've shipped from createspace before, and yeah, their author discount is pretty good :)
The dollar has gone a bit the other way - I only know that because I make money daily with advertising space in the US.
Full-length novels for $20?? I thought I'd have to sell for around $10 and then just break even if I'm lucky (and if i sell any).
Never undervalue your work.

If I go into Dymocks to a buy a paperback, it costs me $29.95. I think $20 is a good deal for a novel. I wouldn't go any lower than that.

Of course you'll sell some.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm with you Patty, I retail mine for $20 a novel and $10 a novella. If I want to move more books I'll mark the novels down to $15 and people think that's really cheap. When people know I'm the author I even get people commenting how cheap it is and refusing to take change from a $20 when I mark it down :p Throw in signing the book for them and everyone is more than happy! Honestly, you don't have to be a big name or anything, the fans at supanova are very cool and so enthusiastic about EVERYTHING!
If you get in early and get the cheapest shipping from Createspace the profit margin is quite decent at those prices.
It'd be great to have you along Anya!! Even if you just want to come and visit that would be cool, it's worth it just to watch the cosplayers wandering by  ;D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd love to do this, however I'm not in Oz for those most of those dates. I'm considering doing hometown Perth this year and then aim for the East Coast next year.... I've never been to one (is that a bad confession to make), so how do you find the buzz and excitement?
As an aside for those that have done it before, how much stock would you take of each book... 50, 100?
Brad

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Selina Fenech said:
I hear there's at least one KBer attending the Melbourne and Gold Coast shows, but not Sydney. Hugh Howey I think his name is? ;D http://www.supanova.com.au/news/reading-feast-supanova/
There might even be two KBers if you read further down the list. :p

The crowds are huge and enthusiastic, the largest shows being Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and Gold Coast. If you like talking to people and are comfortable putting yourself out there you will meet new readers and make sales.

The whole thing is a great experience.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Selina, my print sales are practically non-existent (eBook sales are up and down).

Jason, that a shame, but I know it's a long way from Tassie. I'd feel the same way about heading to the other shows at Queensland or Melbourne.

Brad, that's a good question about how many books to take. (Selina? Patty?)

Colin - ah, there you are, supa-star :)

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
My print sales are non-existent, too, but when you take books out there, you *will* sell.

How many to take? Colin might be able to advise on that.

For Conflux, I'll be taking between 5-15 copies of each, but I only have a day stall.

I expect I will need more books for Supanova.

I also think it's important not to over-order. It's better to take 50 an sell them all than to take 100 and be left with a lot of copies.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keeping in mind I'm a complete author nobody, I think I sold about 20 books over the weekend at Supanova last year, and that was with one novel, hidden on a little easel behind most of my other products. I didn't have anything else to promote it other than that sample book and most people overlooked it, because, well, it looked like an artists table not an author table.
I still only have the one novel and one novella *sigh*, but maybe if I push hard enough I'll have the next one out by then.
There were a lot of people interested in ebooks as well that I didn't have anything to give. I need to look into best ways to give out info on, or even sell, ebooks in person.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts