Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I made an edit to my product description via KDP, and it said it would take 1 business day for it to be approved (or something to that effect). But recently, I made another change, this time via Author Central (which was much more intuitive and easier than KDP), but NOW it says it will take 3-5 days! O_O

Seriously, why does it have to take so long to make a change in the description? -.-

Anyway, which one do you think is better for updating/publishing ebooks?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've updated my description both ways, but through Author Central, at least the book isn't in limbo like it is with KDP. You can't change price or the actual content through Author Central though, so KDP is still the only game for that.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
If you were thinking that when you update a book on KDP, people can't buy it (limbo), that's not the case--they just get the old version until the new one publishes.  I've fiddled with all my books dozens of times through KDP . . .

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sarah Woodbury said:
If you were thinking that when you update a book on KDP, people can't buy it (limbo), that's not the case--they just get the old version until the new one publishes. I've fiddled with all my books dozens of times through KDP . . .
I was just referring to not being able to make more changes (I tend to forget at least one thing I meant to do every time I make a change) until it filters through the process. Good point though, my response was a bit vague :-\. Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
KDP for me.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Joshua,

I know I must seem like a naysayer and a pain in the rear, but my friend... you're making a lot of newbie mistakes.

First, you made what should be a promo tagline the title of your novel.

"Discover the Blood-Stained Beginnings of the Crystal War!" is not a title that will serve you well. Go back to "Honor and Duty" so it matches your cover. That would serve you well.

Also, you admit this book is 5,400+ words long and price it at 99 cents.

That's great.

But then, in your blurb, you warn readers, "The price will soon go up!"

Go up? For a story that's barely 5,400 words?

Not a wise strategy. Keep it at 99 cents and use it eternally as an introduction to your series.

That would serve you much better. If you were to ever raise your price higher than 99-cents for a story that short, you would raise a LOT of ire among Amazon readers.

That's something you don't want to do, especially as a new author.

Please reconsider, for your own sake.

I want to see you succeed... that's the only reason why I'm taking time out of my day to offer you advice.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Joshua, listen to Craig. 

You desperately need a new title, and it has to be on the cover.  Honor and Duty would be okay as a title, but Craig is absolutely right about your current title really being a tagline.

And really, you can't charge more for a short story than 99 cents.  Make the sequel a good 60k to 100k, and raise the price of it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes, what Craig said.

The cover looks great, by the way, especially for a short story. The title is super-easy to read, and the cover is interesting and clearly tells the reader "this is a dragon story." I would recommend, however, adding the "and" into the title, at least in a small font, squeezed between "Honor" and "Duty". If the title is supposed to be "Honor and Duty," the "and" should be on the cover.

Also, the blurb starts with "Duty and Honor." If you want to start the blurb with the same words that are in the title, I guess that's okay, but I would at least put the words in the same order, otherwise there could be confusion in people's minds. You want the title clear in their minds, so when they tell their friends, "hey, go read this story," they tell their friends the proper title.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
A quick note on editing product descriptions thru KDP or Author Central.

What I have found is that the description in Author Central will override the one you have written in KDP but only for the US.

On the UK/German sites, the old KDP description will be displayed.

Used cleverly, you can have two different descriptions, one focused on the UK one on the US.

Dave

·
Registered
644 Posts
I hadn't realized this. Thanks for pointing it out, Dave. And what an interesting idea--having slightly different descriptions for UK and US. I hadn't thought to do that.
dgaughran said:
A quick note on editing product descriptions thru KDP or Author Central.

What I have found is that the description in Author Central will override the one you have written in KDP but only for the US.

On the UK/German sites, the old KDP description will be displayed.

Used cleverly, you can have two different descriptions, one focused on the UK one on the US.

Dave

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I only found out by accident.

I fixed some typos in the Author Central description and noticed they didn't filter through to the UK. I think this is because you have to set up a separate Author Central for the UK and Germany - they are not linked. Plus, the UK & German ones don't have all the functionality (yet) of the US one, so you can't actually edit product descriptions there.

There are extra things you can do with the Author Central description. You can add an About The Author section and Reviews. However, once you add these in, you can't take them out, so plan out what you want to do first.

For example, I put a nice blog review I got into the Author Central section for reviews. However, this bumped off the About The Author section. Once I realised people in UK/Germany wouldn't see the review quote, I put it in the product description, but now there is now way to remove the original review. Pain in the ass.

My advice is: fill out the About the Author section, skip all the other sections, and put the reviews in your product description.

If you want to put them in for the UK/Germany too - you will have to add them again through KDP

·
Registered
198 Posts
Author central changes take much more time than KDP changes.
I remember when I had a special, promotional low price in my book. In the description I said the price is 0,99 for a limited time.

One day, when my promotional campaign ended, I raised the price from 0,99 to 2,99. I did it through the KDP. And I also deleted the sentence that said the price is 0,99 for limited time.

The result? Three days at 2,99 with a description that was saying the price is 0,99. (KDP price updated quickly, but description did not)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I've tried making a change in both KDP and Author Central, will see what happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts