Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My real name is Floyd M. Orr and I am one of those nasty old POD authors. In fact, I have been one for nearly a decade, which clearly makes me an old poot in this relatively new publishing paradigm. I am the one who founded http://podbram.blogspot.com/ three years ago and interviewed Michael R. Hicks on that site earlier this month. I am currently working on a review of his Kindle formatting how-to book for PODBRAM readers. Mike mentioned to me earlier today how he thought each author should just establish one thread to be continued here throughout the future at The Book Bazaar, and I thought that was an excellent idea, so I decided to start the program right here. Maybe other authors will follow suit. Then all the promotion of each author's particular books can always be found in one place, and maybe everyone will be a happier camper!

Nonfiction in a Fictional Style is what I have named my special little genre of publishing. NIAFS is the name of my website, and you can find this description scattered all over the web to describe my works, from the commentaries on my blog to my four POD books currently in print to my contributions to a couple of traditionally published coffee-table style books. All of my writing is nonfiction when the term is loosely considered. There is a lot of material in my first book, Plastic Ozone Daydream, which only an insane person would perceive as actual nonfiction, such as a story of classic Corvettes that steal gasoline out of classic Porsches like a Mad Max nightmare on acid, but that's why I had to come up with something to call my writing! I am obsessed with the icons of American pop culture, so I occasionally tend to make up stories about them, but most of the time my compositions are either straight-arrow nostalgia or modern sociopolitical rants. I could have called it Fiction in a Nonfictional Style instead, but the great majority of my material concerns real life stuff.

I owned a 1970 Stingray from 1980 to 1998, and from 1985 through 1999, I wrote a series of stories and articles about classic Corvettes, most of which were originally published in the local Corvette club newsletter, the same one that broke all national records for Corvette Club newsletters during some of these same years. Of course I know that these stories called The Corvette Chronicles had nothing to do with those awards, but that's only because I tend to be modest in public. I spent most of 2000 editing these stories into what would become Plastic Ozone Daydream.

My second book, Ker-Splash: Recreational Power Boaters Guide, was released in early 2002. It is probably my book that offers the least interest in the Kindle format. It is the closest to being a purely nonfictional reference book of all my works, and its 2002 release date makes it the most dated of my books. I am currently working on a 2009 edition to be released in the Kindle format only in about a month. I plan to update that book as a 2010 edition in both Kindle and print formats in early 2010. Ker-Splash is sort of a Consumer Reports for non-fishing powerboats, offering a lot of information not available anywhere else. The original version offers at least some still valid information, even in 2009, so the current price of $2.40 in the Kindle format is still a good deal.

I originally created the general concept and content of The Last Horizon in the late '60's, before I had even earned a B.A. in Psychology. The first draft of the book was completed in about 1971, but I knew that one day I would rewrite the whole thing into a much better organized presentation. I developed my theory of personality I call The Class System based on the considerable power of the herd instinct, particularly as it pertains to the development of the baby boomer generation. As Dianne Salerni, the author of High Spirits, has said, once you read The Last Horizon, you can never unread it. Knowledge of The Class System will change your life, whether you like it or not.

Timeline of America is my tribute to all the wonderful elements of The American Dream that seem to be so in jeopardy now. I am one of those gloom-and-doom prognosticators who has been watching America's economic crisis unfold ever so slowly over the past thirty years. The Crash of 2008 and the subsequent Depression 2.0 were never news to me! I have been waiting for them to arrive for a very long time. I am not a fan of The Grim Reaper, but that does not make me close my eyes to the realities surrounding me, either. Timeline of America is my homage to all the wonderfulness we have always called America. Enjoy it while you can!

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Ozone-Daydream-Chronicles-Nonfiction/dp/B0025KUETK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1243750150&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Ker-Splash-Recreational-Nonfiction-Fictional-ebook/dp/B0024NLKJG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1243750150&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Horizon-Sexuality-Nonfiction-Fictional/dp/B001OI1YN4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1243750150&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Timeline-America-Consumer-Nonfiction-Fictional/dp/B001OI1YSO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1243750150&sr=1-2

Thank you for your indulgence. I shut up now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4