1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
That's a nice idea. Be positive.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I will do so... the AG really mucked up this one. I don't care (as a writer) if a Kindle reads my books out loud; it's not even close to audio book quality, and doesn't infringe on my rights to put out audio versions. I'm willing to bet that the person who pays to d/l a book to their kindle probably wouldn't otherwise buy the audio version anyway, and someone who favors audio books is going to purchase that version.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I see...is the feeling that most authors will opt for the disable of the text-to-speech?

Not sure my take on this one as I do not have k2.  From what I read, it sounds quite "computer-y" and it will just read the page you are on, then you have to manually turn the page and set to read that page?  I may be wrong here.  I have NOT investigated it very much as I know that personally, text-to-speech is something that I would never use.  One of the major reasons to why I did not upgrade.  That is just me, though....

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
KindleKay said:
I see...is the feeling that most authors will opt for the disable of the text-to-speech?
It may be important to note a legal fine point here: the copyright owner, the author, the publisher or some other party, is the decision maker. My guess is that authors and small publisher who own book copyrights will opt to permit text-to-speech while big imprints will opt out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
AG is saving me money.  Now I can focus entirely on free classics, that will easily switch from text to speech when I'm at the gym, driving, cooking, etc., and will let me get right back to my reading.  Thanks, AG.

Although I am always polite, I am not sure why I should be kind.  The AG has reduced the value of something I just bought by whining over a non-issue.  Don't expect me to be a fan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Authors Guild will just loose sales for their clients.  Even Apple is dropping DRM from Itunes due to demand from the consumer.  They will just drive people to Bit Torrent and Newsgroups to get copies of these books without the retrictions imposed by this outdated mode of thinking.  Your business model has changed AG, get used to it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Who would be so heartless as to argue that wheelchair ramps should be removed from street corners? Is that so different from what Authors Guild desires?

I have no problem with text-to-speech for my Distant Cousin books. I even donated them to Bookshare.org, to make them available to the sight-challenged (and others). I can understand a publisher getting unhappy with someone who hired a professional reader and used production values to create (and perhaps make money from) a copyrighted work of a third party.

But anyone who buys TextAloud or other software (for less than $50) can listen to any text that can appear on a monitor. And that, as well as Kindle's text-to-speech feature, is just fine with me. Authors Guild is way on the wrong side of this issue, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Avalon said:
AG is saving me money. Now I can focus entirely on free classics, that will easily switch from text to speech when I'm at the gym, driving, cooking, etc., and will let me get right back to my reading. Thanks, AG.

Although I am always polite, I am not sure why I should be kind. The AG has reduced the value of something I just bought by whining over a non-issue. Don't expect me to be a fan.
OHHHHH what she said!!! Perfect!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone have Jeff Bezos's address? I feel it's important to write to him as well, or at least cc: the letter one writes to the guild.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts