Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jack Kilborn here, also known as JA Konrath.

I've uploaded eight titles to Kindle, priced at $1.59 each. To me, that seems to be a fair price, and it is the price that encourages me to try new authors.

But how about you?

What do you consider the magic price point for Kindle books?

How many Kindle books have you bought and not read yet?

If it's a book you want, what's the most you'd pay for it?

If it's a book you're unsure about, what price would get you to buy it?

Thanks! Looking forward to your responses.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Jack Kilborn said:
Jack Kilborn here, also known as JA Konrath.

I've uploaded eight titles to Kindle, priced at $1.59 each. To me, that seems to be a fair price, and it is the price that encourages me to try new authors.

But how about you?

Hi, and just to start off I really wanted to say that I loved the work you published with that other author, Serial; it was great! I hope a lot of sensible people go and read it and rate it the 5 stars it deserves to off-set all those idiotic 1-star reviews!

Now, onto your other questions ^_^

Magic Price Point? Definitely ten dollars or less (although I'm not among the boycotters,) i'd say 4-8 would be an attractive price range? (Your $1.58 is great, too) I would pay more if I knew I liked previous works by the author.

I have about 60 books on my Kindle right now, I've read all but twenty, but the main reason I've torn through so many books is because many of them have been books in a series instead of stand alone works.

Hn... I'd like to say that $15.00 would be the limit, because for a little bit more (for not new releases) you might as well as gone and bought the DTV, but if Jean M Auel's Earth's Children Series came out tomorrow for 20$ each I might have to retract my previous statement, if only because those books are kinda thick and heavy and I love the series so much ^_^;; I probably wouldn't go higher than 12-15 on a book unless it was already a favorite of mine that I wanted a kindle copy of.

If it's a book i'm unsure about... 1-4 dollars probably would not kill me.

Hope this helped!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
While I try to buy books less than $6, I will admit to purchasing about 5 at the $9.99 price point; one just last night.

I just counted.... 17 books that I have actually purchased and not read.... (this includes three books I read many years ago that I repurchased)

If I really want a book, I'm going to wait until it drops to $9.99. However, I rarely need a book that badly.... The only books I ever purchased as soon as they were available were the last three Harry Potters.

If I am unsure about a book, there is no price point. There are several that I grabbed simply because they were free, and I wish I could get them out of my archives. This was when I first got my Kindle, I'm more choosy now.

Fortunately with samples available, it's pretty easy to see if a book will suit me or not after reading the sample, though there were a few that went wayyy down after that first chapter. If I find a book I think I want to read, I generally add it to my Kindle Wishlist, and then when I am looking for a new book I will sort that wishlist by price, and see what is below $6 that is the genre I want to read next. Then I will sample the book to see if I am really interested, and to make sure the formatting is good. If all is good, I tend to purchase right away.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow, what a coincidence, I just downloaded Afraid at the same time you were posting this.
Anyway, to answer your questions:
"I've uploaded eight titles to Kindle, priced at $1.59 each. To me, that seems to be a fair price, and it is the price that encourages me to try new authors.
But how about you?"

Yes, absolutely that seems like a very fair price to me. It would encourage me to try an author that maybe I had not heard of before.
"What do you consider the magic price point for Kindle books?"
I don't have a magic price point exactly, so i'll have to say "it depends". I do like to see that I am paying less for the Kindle version of a book than I would for the printed version. If there is something I know that I will like, I don't mind paying a decent amount for it. Discounts are great for trying new authors, genres, etc without much risk. I don't really like paying more than 9.99 for a Kindle book, but I will at times if it is something that I know I will love.
"How many Kindle books have you bought and not read yet?"
5-6, I like to have a stockpile ready to go.
"If it's a book you want, what's the most you'd pay for it?"
usually no more than 9.99
"If it's a book you're unsure about, what price would get you to buy it?"
Depends, but definitely less than 9.99

Take Care,Jason

·
Registered
138 Posts
I download the sample of a book I think is going to come down in price. That way, i'll remember to go back and check the price.  Don't think I'll pay anything over $9.99, unless it's a favorite author who publishes a new book I am dying to read.

I have read some new authors since getting my Kindle and I probably have 20 dowloads and less than 10 samples i am watching for price.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

If a book by a new author semi-interests me, a price of $1.99 or less will generally get me to pull the trigger.

Herein lies the problem, way too many, I'll never get to them all which means I'm going to have to find some other way than just price to discriminate what I actually pick up to read. My time is valuable and I hate to waste it reading a mediocre book even if it was at a bargain price.

If it is a book from a known to me author and I have liked and read everything they've already written and I can't wait till the new release comes out, um well, full price. Thank god only Jim Butcher fits that bill right now, lol.

It has to be a price low enough that I could live walking away from the book if I don't like it and being the cheap bastard that I am, probably 99cents or less. Personally I'd rather get a large sample for free and then if I like it I'll just pay for the whole book. If it's a book I want to finish I got no problem with paying $4-$6 bucks for the run of the mill paperback. I believe smashwords offers a 50% sample size which I really like.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Magic price point: Well below the print price.

Kindle books bought and not read: 5 or 6, mostly ones obtained for free as promos, etc.

Most I'd pay for a book I want: $10

Unsure purchase price: Doesn't really matter... I'd go more on reviews and "if you liked this, you'll like this" recommendations. Certainly the lower the better :) Probably the threshold is $5.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Jack Kilborn said:
For an unknown author, I'd say around $3 is my limit unless it has a lot of recommendations. For authors I enjoy, it would be higher.

Jack Kilborn said:
I don't want to say ;)

Jack Kilborn said:
That's kind of hard to say. If it's an absolute must-have, probably up to $15-16. If it's just something that I think would be nice, I'd probably wait for $9.99 or lower.

Jack Kilborn said:
If I like the sample and it's recommended, I'd probably pay up to $6-7.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

Under two bucks usually does the trick, but a buck or less is really the sweet spot for me.

A gentleman never reveals himself about such matters. :D Seriously though, there are a few I've bought that remain unread, but most of my unread pile consists of freebies.

$9.99. Anything above that, no purchase ever.

I'd sample it first. If I'm still unsure after the sample, I don't bother.

·
Registered
494 Posts

I prefer books to be cheaper than the print version and am typically looking for under $7.  I usually will not buy a book that is more than $7.99.  My fav. author is coming out with a book next week and although I really want to get it, it is something like $14 on Kindle so I probably will either wait for paperback prices or get it from the library. 

How many Kindle books have you bought and not read yet?  Probably like 300, crazy!

If it's a book you want, what's the most you'd pay for it?  This really depends.  Is it a professional book?  Those are more expensive.  For a fiction book, I would have to say the $9.99 is my limit. 

If it's a book you're unsure about, what price would get you to buy it?  I'm not sure.  I'm trying to be more selective because I have so many books right now :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I cannot get samples, out of WN, but if a book description even comes close to looking good on Amazon, or is recommended by readers here (not necessarily other authors) I'll spend up to $2.50.  Normally my cut off on books I know about is $5, but occasionally I might, or my account partner might, go to $9.99, but no higher.  It hurts to spend $6.39 on a Outlander Series book  :'(  I will more than likely get free books, which I've read a lot of and enjoy and have bought other books from that author.

I have no idea how many books I have on my kindle and have not read, more than I want, I want to have read all of them.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
What do you consider the magic price point for Kindle books? If it looks interesting, $1.99 or less. If it looks good AND its in my genre then $2.99
How many Kindle books have you bought and not read yet? Even if I don't count my re-purchases and the public domain stuff I am still left with at least a dozen that I haven't gotten to.Kindles promote sloppy buying habits :)
If it's a book you want, what's the most you'd pay for it? The most I've paid so far is probably about $17
If it's a book you're unsure about, what price would get you to buy it? I think that I would rather trade larger samples for cheaper prices. I'd rather stumble across a really good and longer sample of a $5.39 book, buy it and enjoy it, recommend it, review it, etc., than impulsively buy a $ .99 book that sux. But the most that I have paid so far was between $6 and $7, same as some paperbacks. One note on the amount that I would pay for something not sure of--I take advantage of the 7 day return. If I get a few chapters into a book and I really hate it and it was over that $1.99, I have been contacting Amazon for a return/refund

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
If I want a book, I'll pay just under the print price. I am inclined to indulge in more impulse purchases for books under $5, though...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Due to DRM I'm unwilling to pay more than I'd pay for a discounted paperback. The fact that I cannot resell or give a Kindle book away makes it less valuable to me than a dead tree book. If/when DRM is abandoned I'll be willing to pay more because the book will have more value to me.

My Kindle has about 200 books on it now - the vast majority being in the public domain. I subscribe to two magazines and have bought about 20 books, most under $7 and all under $10. $10 is my limit - I'll wait or visit the library unless it is an author I especially value.

All the books on my Kindle are un-read. I remove them as I read them. By the end of the summer I expect I'll have read close to 100 of them and probably added another 10.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am just about to start reading Serial... I can't wait!

I'm not sure if it's "magic" (more like impulse) but anything under $2 that I think I will like and is highly recommended or my usual "cup of tea", I'll pretty much just buy it on the spot with little to no hesitation.  If it's around $5-$10, I will get the sample first and read the reviews and make sure it's something I'll really enjoy before I buy it.    I have no problems paying for books that I love, I just like to make sure I'll love them before I buy them.  I once paid $13 or $14 bucks for a Kindle book I really, really wanted right away.  That is the absolute most I would pay and probably wouldn't do it very often but it was worth every penny.  Of course, I do love free books, too and I alternate those in between purchases to keep my book budget down.  

I use goodreads and my "to-be-read" count is currently at 22 books.  Those are just books on my Kindle that I know I want to read.  There are still way more on my Kindle that I know nothing about but downloaded them because they were free.  ACK!  I need to live forever at this rate.  :-\

·
Registered
78 Posts
DRM is important to me, because books I cannot trade, sell or give away are worth much less to me. I resent being treated like a thief and having books locked to the Kindle(s) on my account. I would pay more for non-DRMed books. I'd even consider paying Amazon a fee to transfer ownership of a book, although that is not fair to me. I buy lots of books, on the scale of 50-200 a year, so pricing is important too.

I'd pay the DTB price if I could get it DRM-free. With DRM, I'd say the price is more like $5.

5 or so now, free books are probably over 50.

It more depends on what I am going to do with the book. If it's a book my friends and family will enjoy, I'll buy the DTB so I can share it. If it's something for me, I would think the paperback price would be fair, considering I can't do anything with it once I've read it, except to re-read it.

Actually the sample does a great job of figuring out whether or not I'll buy the book. I'll buy DTB books I think I might like at used outlets, and I don't feel bad if I never read it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it's a favorite author, then I definately am willing to pay more. If it's something I've never heard of before, then a small fee is about all I'm willing to do.  The samples are a nice feature, but I dont' think they really give a "feel" for an entire book or author's style. That being said, a smaller fee for one or two books to get some exposure for the author really does work IMO.  After reading this post I went to Amazon and downloaded 2 of your (Jack) books at the $1.59 price. If I like them, then I'd add you to my list of books I'd pay "regular" price for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coincidentally, I just downloaded 'Serial' this morning because it was free. I'm not familiar with this author so I decided to give the book a try. It sounded interesting. I'm always looking for new authors because I get impatient waiting for my favorite authors to release new books.

Magic price point...I'll try new books/authors for under 3 dollars.

I've had my Kindle for a month and have downloaded 13 books, but have only read 4.

If it's a book I want, I will pay up to 10 dollars. I've always waited for the paperback version to be released before I would buy the book. (Discipline!  :-\)  I don't want to pay any more than paperback prices for it. I'll wait for the prices to drop before buying.

Book I'm unsure about....I'll try it for under 3 dollars.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts

I'm finding a whole lot depends on the book. For instance, I am willing to pay the $9.99 for the 4 authors whose books I always pounced on in hard cover. However, I'm increasingly irrirated that "small" books are priced at $9.99 when they're first released. For instance cozy mysteries that come out in small hardbacks with lower prices than best sellers to start with (and often were never published in hardback at all) are now being priced at $9.99 when they first come out for Kindle. Those books become tempting when they go under $6 and I'll snap them up under $5. And I suspect those authors and publishers are hurting themselves because when they're $9.99, I simply get them from the library now and pay nothing. I can't be the only one. New authors - if they're the type of book I usually read, sound good, and have a good sample, under $4. New authors I'm unsure about need to be in the $1.99 and less range to get me to try them. Even with a good sample, I've started several of these after liking the sample and abandoned them anywhere from 30% to 90% through because IMO they deteriorated into nonsense.

None. I have maybe a dozen samples on my Kindle, but if I download a book, it's because I'm ready to read it and I start it right away. Then I either read it or find it's not what I hoped for after all and delete it.

See above.

See above.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would pick up the first in the series of one book by an author I never read before for .99 and try them out, after that, if they made it on my "author to read again" list, I like paying $6.39 or less, anything under $4.00 I will buy without thinking about it.  Anything over that $6.39 gets a little more thought.  Though I'm sure many like your low prices, I think you're selling yourself short.  If I were you, I would price one book low to give readers one to try and see if they like your stuff, and I would price the rest at $6.39.

Good Luck!
Rachel

1 - 20 of 44 Posts