Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience doing AT on social media platforms? How does it usually look like?

286 Posts
It depends on the group. Usually, it's helpful to see a few others before you do one yourself.

ETA:  It also depends on why you're doing the takeover.  Is it to sell books, build your brand, or both?  I use them mainly for brand awareness, so the book sales are secondary.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] said:
ETA: It also depends on why you're doing the takeover. Is it to sell books, build your brand, or both? I use them mainly for brand awareness, so the book sales are secondary.
I would say mostly for sales and to get some following, I'm planning on writing several books in different genres, I believe brand building is more relatable to writing series of books.

286 Posts
Sheridan_West said:
I would say mostly for sales and to get some following, I'm planning on writing several books in different genres, I believe brand building is more relatable to writing series of books.
I also write in many different genres, and that's one reason I do these takeovers. I think I'm more known for teacups and dresses than my books, but as long as they know I also write books...I think that's progress.

Best of luck with your author takeover! And have fun. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also write in many different genres, and that's one reason I do these takeovers. I think I'm more known for teacups and dresses than my books, but as long as they know I also write books...I think that's progress.

Best of luck with your author takeover! And have fun. :)
Thank you! :-*

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have never seen an author takeover, so I'm still struggling to understand what that would look like.

Is it simply a group allowing one author at a time to post a promo post about their book after they've paid the group owner? I can't see posting more than once about your book cos what would you do in multiple posts? Dedicate each post to a different character?

If all you're doing is getting permission to post about your book then why not say that?

And guest posting on a blog is guest posting. Is an author takeover on a blog a whole bunch of guest posts?

286 Posts
Some authors post mainly about a new release or series.  Others try to interact more with readers to get them interested in their books.  There are many readers' groups that are not run by a particular author...or any author.  They are often run by avid readers with great connections to authors in their favorite genres.

I usually give away a short story to everyone, then spend most of the time playing games, posting teacups and dresses photos (look at my Facebook page if you want to see what those are), then I have a random drawing for an ebook or audiobook.  If it's a big party, I might give away a few ebooks.  Some authors give away paperbacks, but those can get expensive and/or exclude readers not in the US.  Again, up to each author (or group) how they want to handle it. :)

ETA: Holidays are a great time for author parties!  Especially in certain genres.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Some authors post mainly about a new release or series. Others try to interact more with readers to get them interested in their books. There are many readers' groups that are not run by a particular author...or any author. They are often run by avid readers with great connections to authors in their favorite genres.

I usually give away a short story to everyone, then spend most of the time playing games, posting teacups and dresses photos (look at my Facebook page if you want to see what those are), then I have a random drawing for an ebook or audiobook. If it's a big party, I might give away a few ebooks. Some authors give away paperbacks, but those can get expensive and/or exclude readers not in the US. Again, up to each author (or group) how they want to handle it. :)

ETA: Holidays are a great time for author parties! Especially in certain genres.
Thanks for explaining. I think I understand better now how it works. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts