Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, am I the only one who wonders about some of the bestselling authors and their ever-increasing endorsements?  It seems some, Clive Cussler and James Patterson come to mind, seem to be writing less and less of their own work (and more and more "with" other authors), and endorsing more newcomers?

While I have nothing against Paul Kemprecos, for example, and in fact have read not only some of his collaborations with Clive Cussler but his own works as well, I'd rather see more works put out by Clive and fewer with co-authors.  Perhaps if Clive wasn't endorsing so many other authors he'd have time?  James Patterson seems to be following this same pattern as well

On the positive side, I can say I've enjoyed every book with a "review" endorsement by both Cussler and Patterson, they seem more a brand anymore, to be promoted and put out in any form possible, than true authors dedicated to writing their own books.  And the trend isn't limited to just these two, but seem to be some of the worst offenders.

::: ponder and rant over :::

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Related observation:

Patterson, and I think it was Cussler, but I could be wrong about that, appeared as themselves in the premier episode of Castle on ABC. . .this was a couple of weeks ago.  The show's not bad. . . definitely has potential.  Premise is a best selling writer kills off the hero of his long time series -- just tired of writing him -- gets caught up in an NYPD murder investigation because the killer is using methods Castle had used in his books.  Morphs into he becomes a 'consultant' and decides to start a new series staring a female homicide detective modeled after the officer he's shadowing.  Hijinks and sexual tension ensue.  Sorry, I can't say what night it's on. . .TiVo remembers that for me.  :D  Check your local listings, as they say.

Ann

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Burbunny - I agree with you, but I am not that enchanted with the co-authored books, maybe alone they will be fine, but I won't buy any more co-authored.  Janet Evanovich is another one and so is W.E.B. Griffin.  Stories may be basically the same but the writing style definitely is not.  Of course, some of the authors maybe getting long in the tooth  ;D and wanting to pass on their legacy.  There are too many good ones here to mess with something I am getting disenchanted with.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ann - that's one of my new favorites, as I think it's started out at least as well-written and paced.  It was Patterson and Stephen J. Cannell as his poker buddies, and if the series makes it, I wouldn't be surprised to see other authors making cameos as well.  It's on Monday nights after Dancing with the Stars.

Anju, I'm getting close to that point.  I like the Women's Murder Club series of Patterson et al., but otherwise, his other collaborations don't do the trick.  I do like both Kemprecos and particularly Jack du Brul (whom I've also read his solo efforts), but Clive Jr.'s efforts... well, he's not his father at all, and if that's the only way to get Dirk Pitt anymore, and I have to have Dirk's children too... well... I might have to skip it, and certainly won't purchase them. 

It's a shame.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am automatically turned off by co-authored books. I read a few by Weis and Hickman, and they were fun reads, but I was always wondering "who wrote this part? What inspired this? Just what mind is this from?". I found it too distracting.

As far as endorsements, it's great for the up-and-coming writers, but it makes me wonder if the "senior" writer even read it. I mean, sure they probably have time to read, but just how many book do they come across that are good enough to do that? Are these books suggested to them by agents or something? Is there some kind of network of writers, agents, publishers, etc to push new books? I'm kind of turned off by endorsements as well...however if I saw a blurb on a book by one of my favorite authors, I would certainly give it a look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts