Kindle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I too love David Sedaris also an obscure British writer named Penelope Evans, she is amazing (but do not think any
of her books are yet K-ava) my all time favorite is Margaret Atwood, who I have not seen mentioned. I just downloaded
Moral Disorder which will be the 11th or 12th book of hers I have read.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Octochick said:
I too love David Sedaris also an obscure British writer named Penelope Evans, she is amazing (but do not think any
of her books are yet K-ava) my all time favorite is Margaret Atwood, who I have not seen mentioned. I just downloaded
Moral Disorder which will be the 11th or 12th book of hers I have read.
I love David Sedaris. His book Naked inspired me to go to a nudist club. I figured if he could do it, so could I. And it was fun, as he described. I've had several nude beach/club experiences since that first time and would recommend them all.

Unfortunately, the book is not in Kindle edition but here is a link to the print version:

http://www.amazon.com/Naked-David-Sedaris/dp/0316777730/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226368993&sr=8-1

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
hazeldazel said:
:p

har har :) okay okay, I just meant that my list including *some* dead folks therefore, if one didn't count dead folks then it would be shorter. Obviously, no new stuff coming from Jane Austen.
Jane Austen's dead? Omigosh!

LOL!

Betsy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jodi Picoult
Nicholas Sparks

They are the only ones I will rush out and buy the day they are released. Now what I am a KINDLE owner I can skip the "rush out" part. YIPPEE!
Too bad I bought The Lucky One at full price just 2 weeks before I got my Kindle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
James Lee Burke
Michael Connelly
Lee Child
John Scalzi

I'm spoiled, now. I just don't buy pbooks any more.
Many of my pbook favorites are not available for Kindle yet. A prime example are the wonderful Patrick O'Brian nautical fiction series which are well worth rereading. I would buy them again in a heartbeat for my Kindle even though i have them in paper.

Click to request on Kindle:

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
cush said:
James Lee Burke
Michael Connelly
Lee Child
John Scalzi

I'm spoiled, now. I just don't buy pbooks any more.
Many of my pbook favorites are not available for Kindle yet. A prime example are the wonderful Patrick O'Brian nautical fiction series which are well worth rereading. I would buy them again in a heartbeat for my Kindle even though i have them in paper.
Cush, you've listed several of my favorite authors. In fact, I discovered and read ALL of Michael Connelly's books on my Palm T/X. I'm trying to resist the Lee Childs, which is hard as I do re-read them. At least most of those have the series order in the title, one of my wishes for all series books. Thanks for the recommendation of Scalzi, I wasn't familiar with his work!

Betsy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jim Butcher (Dresden Files and Alera series)
Kim Harrison (Rachel Morgan series)
Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson series)
JD Robb (In Death series)
Kelley Armstrong (Otherworld series)
Richelle Mead (several series)

Thanks for the lists, you guys have given me several new authors to check out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jodi Picoult
Elizabeth Berg
Anita Shreve
Emily Giffin
Jennifer Weiner
Lauren Weisberger

I have lots of favorite male authors, too. I'm just heavily into a chick lit phase right now.

For laughs, I read anything by Dave Barry and Jack Handy.

Kat

B

·
0 Posts
Kat said:
Jodi Picoult
Elizabeth Berg
Anita Shreve
Emily Giffin
Jennifer Weiner
Lauren Weisberger

I have lots of favorite male authors, too. I'm just heavily into a chick lit phase right now.

For laughs, I read anything by Dave Barry and Jack Handy.

Kat

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Geez, in following the posts I've noticed something rather interesting.  SO many people shared the same favorite authors that I do.  I never thought that the authors I liked were that popular or anything.  I mean, I personally, LOVED them...but they always seemed to be easily passed by in the bookstores.  A lot of the people would just look at me funny and say "who?". :p

I just think it's pretty funny...

Tris

·
Registered
869 Posts
I love any of David Webster's Honor Harrington series. Same for CE Murphy's "Negotiator" and "Joanne Walker" series. Laurell Hamilton's "Anita Blake" series. Christine Feehan's "Predator" series. Any of Suzanne Brockman's Seal Team 10 books. George RR Martin's beautifully intricate "Song of Ice and Fire" books. Calvin & Hobbs. Kinsey Millhone books by Sue Grafton. Jodi Picoult. Lillith Saintcrow. Anne Lamont. Peanuts. Dilbert.

My want list includes
Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson series)
JD Robb (In Death series)
James Lee Burke
Michael Connelly
Lee Child
John Scalzi

Best book-to-TV Adaption is the Horatio Hornblower movie series by A & E featuring Ioan Gruffudd. I also love the Patrick O'Brien books & the big screen "Master & Commander" movie with Russel Crowe.

Looking forward to learning about more books & authors, thanks for all the posts here!

Marci

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I  haven't seen any mention of my newest favorite author...... Greg Iles..... his books are awesome!!
I also never miss James Patterson
                        David Baldacci
                        Kathy Reichs
                        Tess Gerritsen
                        Stephen King

ANY GREG ILES FANS OUT THERE OTHER THAN ME????????

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can't even start to begin here.  Since I have joined this board and received my Kindle there are so many authors and genre's that I've been introduced to that I would never be able to begin a list! 

I

·
0 Posts
Charlaine Harris(Southern Vampire Mysteries/HBO's True Blood)
Vicki Pettersson(Signs of the Zodiac series)
Dean Koontz(Odd Thomas series)
Kelly Armstrong(Women of the Otherworld series)
Terry Goodkind(Sword of Truth/Chainfire series)
Jeaniene Frost(Night Huntress series first 2 Kindle books I bought)
Christopher Paolini (Inheritance series)
E.E. Knight(Vampire Earth series)

I like Stephen King but I didn't like the last couple books of his.  I may give Duma Key a shot.

This is most of them.  I may have forgotten someone.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
I haven't seen any mention of my newest favorite author...... Greg Iles..... his books are awesome!!
I also never miss James Patterson
David Baldacci
Kathy Reichs
Tess Gerritsen
Stephen King

ANY GREG ILES FANS OUT THERE OTHER THAN ME????????
What is the first Greg Iles book that you recommend? It seems many of his books are on Kindle, several at $6.39.

Betsy

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Vampyre said:
Charlaine Harris(Southern Vampire Mysteries/HBO's True Blood)
Vicki Pettersson(Signs of the Zodiac series)
Dean Koontz(Odd Thomas series)
Kelly Armstrong(Women of the Otherworld series)
Terry Goodkind(Sword of Truth/Chainfire series)
Jeaniene Frost(Night Huntress series first 2 Kindle books I bought)
Christopher Paolini (Inheritance series)
E.E. Knight(Vampire Earth series)

I like Stephen King but I didn't like the last couple books of his. I may give Duma Key a shot.

This is most of them. I may have forgotten someone.
Hey there Vampyre!

I'm starting the Terry Goodkind series ('Sword of Truth') myself. It's very long, but I'm actually enjoying it. I would never imagine myself reading his stuff, and not because of the genre. Though like many people here, the Kindle has openned me to A LOT of authors that I never thought of. I'm only on his first book and would love to immediately start on the rest, but alas, the first book is the only book that is Kindle-ized...grrr. The paperbacks are like +800 pages too.

But is the "Chain of Fire" a completely different series than the 'Sword of Truth' series? In checking out his website, it seems that it's all just one long series. Like I said, I just started the series (only up to chapter 6) and been reading Michael Connelly's "Brass Verdict" (another author I just picked up on my Kindle) at the same time.

Tris

(Already on Kindle at only $2.99)

$9.99

Click to request on Kindle!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tris said:
Hey there Vampyre!

I'm starting the Terry Goodkind series ('Sword of Truth') myself. It's very long, but I'm actually enjoying it. I would never imagine myself reading his stuff, and not because of the genre. Though like many people here, the Kindle has openned me to A LOT of authors that I never thought of. I'm only on his first book and would love to immediately start on the rest, but alas, the first book is the only book that is Kindle-ized...grrr. The paperbacks are like +800 pages too.

But is the "Chain of Fire" a completely different series than the 'Sword of Truth' series? In checking out his website, it seems that it's all just one long series. Like I said, I just started the series (only up to chapter 6) and been reading Michael Connelly's "Brass Verdict" (another author I just picked up on my Kindle) at the same time.

Tris
All the same series ie do go in order but its all the same.

* Wizard's First Rule (1994)
* Stone of Tears (1995)
* Blood of the Fold (1996)
* Temple of the Winds (1997)
* Soul of the Fire (1999)
* Faith of the Fallen (2000)
* The Pillars of Creation (2002)
* Naked Empire (2003)
* Chainfire (2005)
* Phantom (2006)
* Confessor (2007)

41 - 60 of 109 Posts