Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new guide says hit ALT 0 (zero) and Alt 1 to start..

what am I doing wrong I can not get this feature to work.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not something I really ever use but I wanted to try it out.. but that text to speech thing makes sense.. I appreicate it since I figured I was losing my mind.. the guy who wrote the kindle guy (steven something) has it in his book that the K2 has it, and until Leslies new short cuts come out, that was driving me NUTS.. thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Unfortunately, it seems like there are a whole lot less shortcuts this time around.

Display the time - Press MENU button
Display free memory - Press MENU button
Display wireless network (3G or 1X, if wireless is on) - Press MENU button

Refresh Display - ALT+G
Add or remove a bookmark - ALT+B
Start or stop text-to-speech - Shift+SYM
Pause text-to-speech - Space
Play or stop background audio - ALT+space
Skip to the next audio track - ALT+F

Play Minesweeper (from home page) - Shift+ALT+M

Put Kindle to sleep or wake it up - Slide and release the power button (on top of the K2)
Power off - Slide and hold the power button for 4 seconds
Reset - Slide and hold the power button for 15 seconds

ALT+Shift+1-9 changes line spacing
Alt-Shift-G will do a screenshot and save the file as a .gif image in the documents folder. Connect with the USB to access the picture.

L

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's unfortunate there is not a specific auto-page turn function. The text-to-speech workaround is fine but is more of a draw on the battery than I would suspect a true auto-page turn would be.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was delighted that the text-to-speech workaround would give me access to auto-page turn, even varying speeds.  But now that authors can disable text-to-speech, it will only work sometimes.  Another reason to thank the Author's Guild.

I hope books on amazon will have a prominent note when authors choose to disable text-to-speech.  I'm planning to avoid all author-disabled books.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think I'm missing something, if it auto turns and you didn't happen to finish that page in time, you have to go back and start over? (More hassle than it's worth?)  If you read faster than normal on that page you sit and stare for a minute waiting for it turn?  Can people really time their reading that precisely?  I bet I can't.

Like I said, I might be missing the point of this feature.  /shrug

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I can see the use for it when your hands are busy like holding the baby, crocheting, walking on the treadmill or such. As for how the timing works for everybody, I'd say it just depends on the person. While it may not work for one person, it may work perfectly for another. This is probably the only way I'd even actually use the Text to Speech feature.

As for authors disabling books, I'm not going to get myslf upset about it until/if it actually happens.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Leslie said:
Unfortunately, it seems like there are a whole lot less shortcuts this time around.

Refresh Display - ALT+G
Pause text-to-speech - Space

Put Kindle to sleep or wake it up - Slide and release the power button (on top of the K2)

Alt-Shift-G will do a screenshot and save the file as a .gif image in the documents folder. Connect with the USB to access the picture.

L
Hey, Leslie, forgive me if you've already discovered this one but I just did, so I thought I'd pass it on just in case:

Skip to beginning of chapter being read: Push 5-way controller to Left
Skip to beginning of next chapter: Push 5-way controller to Right

It doesn't work on all books. I'm not sure what the determining factor is. It seems to be linked to the amount of detail in the Table of Contents. It worked in a mobipocket book with an extensive Table of Contents and it works in the Kindle User's Guide. It works on "The Zookeeper's Wife" doesn't work on "Three Cups of Tea", both purchased from Amazon. Interesting???

Someone in one of the recent threads lamented that they couldn't skip to the end of the chapter to see how much was left. If you note the location you're at and then do the controller to the right thing, you can see how many location numbers are left in the chapter you are reading. I think this would be very handy when it works.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
DD,

The fact that it works in some books and not others is driving me batty. I'd like it to work on all of them.

Just FYI, I believe you can tell by looking at the progress bar whether it will work or not. If there a bunch of little dots on it, it will work. If there are no dots, it won't. Just an observation, and dots isnt really a technical term, but if you look at the bar, you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
DD,

The fact that it works in some books and not others is driving me batty. I'd like it to work on all of them.

Just FYI, I believe you can tell by looking at the progress bar whether it will work or not. If there a bunch of little dots on it, it will work. If there are no dots, it won't. Just an observation, and dots isnt really a technical term, but if you look at the bar, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Interesting. I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
DD,

Good observation, Luv. It seems to me that the dots indicate there is a some sort of linking to chapters and at TOC and that's why the right/left clicking works. I just checked in a few of the books I am reading and it was consistent. Dots, the click trick worked; no dots, it didn't.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Be sure to credit luv when you put it in your new FAQ  :)

Ann

·
Registered
59 Posts
Leslie said:

Refresh Display - ALT+G
Pause text-to-speech - Shift

L
To pause the speech it's Space not Shift. Just a FYI

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Leslie said:
Good observation, Luv. It seems to me that the dots indicate there is a some sort of linking to chapters and at TOC and that's why the right/left clicking works. I just checked in a few of the books I am reading and it was consistent. Dots, the click trick worked; no dots, it didn't.

L
On the four things I tried it on, in three of them, if you are already into the book (i.e. dots are present) it works to go from chapter beginning to chapter beginning. If you are on the Table of Contents, it works to go from topic to topic or Chapter Title to Chapter Title withing the TOC. In one book from Amazon ("Three Cups Of Tea"), doesn't work at all - into the book (dots) or in Table of Contents.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Leslie said:

L
What's frustrating me, though, is that if you add a bookmark, you'll see a dot in the progress bar, but you can't click-right to get to it. It seems as though you should be able to, doncha' think?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
tlrowley said:
What's frustrating me, though, is that if you add a bookmark, you'll see a dot in the progress bar, but you can't click-right to get to it. It seems as though you should be able to, doncha' think?
You'd think..Like I said, this sorta, kinda, sometimes feature is driving me batty. Hopefully it's a bug and they'll work it out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts