Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kindle books can't be autographed.  Do you have any autographed books?  I have books signed by authors

Erma Bombeck
Jimmy Carter
Deana Martin / biography of her father
Steven Clark / Disney: The First 100 Years
Roger Ebert
Richard Roeper
Debi Thomas / book about figure skating; Debi is not the author

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The Lobster Chronicles by Linda Greenlaw (Maine author; she was the captain of the swordfishing boat in The Perfect Storm)

The Hunt for Red October
by Tom Clancy (first edition, published by the US Naval Institute)

L

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just thought of another one . . . how could I forget?!

Popular book these days Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and Oliver Relin. I am related to Greg. His maternal grandfather and my father were brothers -- therefore Greg's mother and I are first cousins. My last name (not common) made it into the book on page 45 (print edition). Seems a little strange to read some names in the book and know these people first hand. That's never happened before.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very few autographed books:

Most of F. Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series
Some Bernard Cornwell
A couple Ray Bradbury
Jimmy Stewart's book of poems (the only one I had autographed in person)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Baby Shark by Robert Fate.  I sent him an email after reading it and not long after the book arrived in my mail box.  :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
A few weeks ago I got Tony Horwitz's autograph on "A Voyage Long and Strange". Several years ago I waited on Salman Rushdie and he autographed "The Satanic Verses" for me. We actually had a couple hours warning that he was coming because the Secret Service came in to vet the restaurant.  (Soba Lounge in Pittsburgh).

·
Registered
509 Posts
At one time my brother lived in Bangor, ME and was able to get Stephen King's autograph on several of the author's books. King would let residents leave copies of his books at the Bangor library and every now and then, he would pop in and sign them all for the owner to reclaim.

On Halloween, King used to sit in the cupola of his home in a lit window, either reading or working in plain sight of all the gawkers and trick-or-treaters while his wife gave out candy at the front door. As his fame grew, he had to abandon the practice out of security concerns.

G

·
I've heard of similar stories about King. I am so jealous. I have loved him since I discovered Carrie at age 13. Up until recently (The Cell), I read everything immediately on release. He seems to be slipping somewhat with age (either his or mine, not sure).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Blackstaff and Blackstaff Tower by Steven Schend
Mistshore by Jayleigh Johnson
The Annotated Elminster by Ed Greenwood
Fellowship Fantastic and The Dimension Next Door by Various authors signed by Steven Schend

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
I've heard of similar stories about King. I am so jealous. I have loved him since I discovered Carrie at age 13. Up until recently (The Cell), I read everything immediately on release. He seems to be slipping somewhat with age (either his or mine, not sure).
He was in a bad accident a few years ago. He was either walking or riding a bike (I can't remember which) and was hit by a minivan. It seems to have taken a toll in terms of his overall health and stamina.

L

·
Registered
21 Posts
Leslie, you just don't know how jealous I am about your signed Tom Clancy book.

A book signed by the guy himself? Cool. A first edition? Even better cool. You got a first edition copy of the Naval Institute Press of "Hunt for Red October?" Oh mannnn! He signed your first edition of his first book?? OhOhOh...word speechless, just woooofff! <grin>

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
GuidedRocketLauncher said:
Leslie, you just don't know how jealous I am about your signed Tom Clancy book.

A book signed by the guy himself? Cool. A first edition? Even better cool. You got a first edition copy of the Naval Institute Press of "Hunt for Red October?" Oh mannnn! He signed your first edition of his first book?? OhOhOh...word speechless, just woooofff! <grin>
You want to buy it? Make an offer. I have college loans for my son to pay off and a daughter still in high school....LOL

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I actually went back and looked at The Hunt For Red October. It is specifically signed to my husband (somehow my parents arranged this). It says: To Tony Jendrek, best wishes, Tom Clancy

Does having a name like that make an autographed book more or less valuable? I have no idea, I am curious.

Thanks,

L

G

·
Not sure if it really increases the monitary value or not, but I know that my personalized signed copy is priceless to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife has a personalized autographed copy of a cookbook by her favorite chef, David Rosengarten, and it is priceless to her.  It took a bit of work for me to get it, since he doesn't do that many book signings, but he did it and she loves it!!

By the way, are there any Kindle versions of Cook Books?  I would love to get some.  we love to cook, and having it available on my kindle would be cool!!!

app

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From watching Antiques Roadshow, yes, autograph can increase value of book.  Value-wise, it's better if it's not dedicated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, my mother has several autographed books by the same author. I forget who. I'll ask her in the morning and update. But anyways, she was looking at two of the books one day, and realized that the signatures were obviously different. So, she emailed the author, and sent him pictures of the sigs, and, as it turned out, someone was faking his signatures and selling them as real. He was very grateful, and sent her a new copies of several of her faked sig books, with real sigs. It was pretty neat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts