KBoards.com banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi all! In case anyone is still running into the automatic downloads issue, I just found a solution here: https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00007dKaYOSA0/i-took-advantage-of-the-6-dollar-offer-a-day-or-two-ago-and-the-books-never-came-down

I followed the steps to reset by holding down the Power button for 40 seconds, and now books are automatically downloading again as I send them from Amazon (both the Manage My Content page & when I buy a book or send a sample to my Kindle).

Hopefully this helps!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
MeganW, I wish I could say this worked for me, but it didn't. :(

I assume completely resetting the device to factory settings will fix the issue, but I did that last time and it was only a temporary fix.

For now, I've just learned to live with it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yeah, I tried it, held the power button for 40-45 seconds. Still no downloads. I went to content and devices and told it to deliver my latest purchase. It went through the motions and said it was delivered but refreshing the C/D page showed the book on zero devices and refreshing my Oasis doesn't show it on the device. I'm not willing to do a full reset yet but that day may come.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Oasis 3 now has this problem too.

I keep all my devices updated, so it's not an update issue, and they all are on different releases. Paperwhite 3 is different than 4, for example.

When I got a new router this year that helped a bit (I thought), but apparently was just a coincidence.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I did a hard reset on both my O3 and PW4 and neither one corrected the problem. I put in a trouble chat with Amazon almost 2 weeks ago. They will get back to me within 2-3 business days, so only a week plus behind so far. I plan to pursue it again later today after a few errands that have to be done.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
So I got an Amazon tech today. He had me download the latest version and connect to the computer to load it on my Oasis. I then picked a random book from C/D and said deliver. It worked. Then I "bought" a free book from one of today's book emails. It delivered in 1-2 seconds. I'll do that to the PW when I get it back from a friend I loaned it to. It appears that solves the problem.

·
Super Moderator
67,219 Posts
On the one hand it seems weird that a thing that always worked stops when you haven't changed anything. On the other hand, it also sort of makes sense that the first thing to do to fix it is be sure you have the latest update. They come so automatically for me that it never occurred to me it might be the problem.

OTOH, I've also heard people say everything was fine UNTIL they did the update and then things 'broke'. Ain't technology great? :D

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I've always just waited on it to get around to updating itself. I never considered there even was an update. Guess I'll know better in the future. It's a great pain in the you know where.

·
Registered
684 Posts
All books that I buy go into the All section and I have to go there to download them. It's not a huge deal...I check it once a week and move them to the Downloaded section of my kindle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
prairiesky said:
All books that I buy go into the All section and I have to go there to download them. It's not a huge deal...I check it once a week and move them to the Downloaded section of my kindle.
If you have your settings to send to your Kindle device and it doesn't, that is a type of bug. I agree with you it's not a big deal if you can just go and download it though. I kind of had the double-glitch -- they wouldn't download, and when I went to manually download, it keeps not actually downloading even though it says it is, and keeps repeating the queue cycle. Now THAT does bug me :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
LDB said:
Are you on version 5.13.3? If not, try manually installing it. It fixed my Oasis 3 problems.
My problem randomly happens, not consistently. With my Oasis 3 I have the current version of 5.13.3. PW 4, not yet, I have to manually install the update at some point if it does not auto-update. I have had this for 2 years, so I do not think firmware will completely fix it. I think it's something with internet system conflicts? That's the only thing I can figure. Perhaps one day it will be working fine and keep working fine, you never know. Hopefully the same for the other posters in the thread, it's a mysterious and quirky bug

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
LDB said:
Are you on version 5.13.3? If not, try manually installing it. It fixed my Oasis 3 problems.
I wish I could say the same for my Paperwhite (2018 model). I did the latest update via computer for the first time in years, and while that was easy and seamless, it did not fix the automatic download problem for me. :( (I "bought" a free book for testing purposes.)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Update: Late last night/this morning, I turned on wi-fi and noticed two "Personal Letters" automatically appear in my download queue - for a library book and KOLL/Prime Reading (whichever it was) book, respectively - both of which I had returned weeks ago, if not months ago at this point. (Is there any way to disable that useless "Personal Letter" crap? I wonder if that was the bottleneck this whole time?)

Then I noticed the free book I "bought" the other day for testing purposes had also been downloaded. I am pretty certain I never got around to manually downloading it. A few of my most recent purchases also appear to have re-downloaded for some reason, even though they were already on the device.

Fingers crossed that this problem has finally been fixed. If so, it looks like LDB's advice may have indeed worked - just at a delay.

I'll try again tonight - another freebie book caught my eye - and report back tomorrow.

Update 2: I turned on wi-fi again, and even before the wi-fi bars appeared, my freebie showed up automatically as a queued download and was on my device less than a minute later. Looks like my Kindle is finally functioning properly again.

Thank you SO much, LDB.

Here's LDB's solution, BTW:

LDB said:
I have a Paperwhite 4 (2018), and downloading the update to my computer and manually installing it did indeed fix the automatic download issue with books. However, automatic book downloads didn't kick in for me right away - it took a couple more days before that functionality was restored on my Kindle, so be patient!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts