Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you published a book that is only available on Kindle? If so, please tell us about it.

I have posted two novels exclusively on Kindle. I had dabbled with trying to get an agent or publisher interested in my manuscripts, but found that to be more time consuming than it was worth to me, given competing priorities of my day job, family and other interests. A Kindle owner encouraged me to put my stories on Kindle, and I did so, beginning in January and February of this year. It took several tries to get the formatting to where it was reasonable, and there are still a few format glitches I intend to fix in the near future, but it was fairly straightforward in the end and I am seeing a reasonable pace of sales. It is a great feeling to know that my stories are being read. I priced both of my novels at $3.00 ($2.40 after the discount) because I think that electronic books should be inexpensive, especially given the cost of the reader.

The first novel is The Tinker God. It tells the story of Bob Wilson, a man who had discovered, and then hid, a technology that he thought too dangerous to be developed. When he retired, his work was reopened and villains (what is a story without villains?) tried to force him to complete its development. When he refused, they kidnapped his granddaughter Beth. He enlisted the aide of a young couple, Jesse and Thayla. They went to help Beth while Bob tried to find a way to unleash the technology without causing the disaster he feared it would bring.

The second novel, Beyond Detection, picks up the story about three years after Tinker closes. Bob and Thayla disappeared during a flight to Washington. They found themselves on a world that had co-existed secretly with ours. Its dominant inhabitants were only male, and they were incapable of reproducing unless they took wives from our world. They had been secretly capturing women from our world for millennia using a technology that was similar to what Bob had been working on. Our ancient writings actually mention such beings, calling them the Nephilim and Rephaim, or alternatively the 'Ben Elohim.' Thayla struggled to win the hearts and minds of her captors to avoid a forced marriage, while Bob set off on an adventure to understand what had happened to this world. He would bend its technologies to his will even if it meant the destruction of an entire race.

On Amazon, the links are:

The Tinker God
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OW5THM

Beyond Detection
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RTT6PI

You can find cover art, links to the Kindle pages, and sample chapters in PDF format on my website: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze89u9w/Novels2/Novels.html

Don Nichols

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Keeping a book Kindle only is severely limiting your potential market; most people don't own an eReader of any sort, and you cut off that segment of the market. While I understand and embrace the appeal and ease of publication on the Kindle, it's simply not practical in terms of garnering an audience.

OTOH...it does give newer writers a way in. And if you want to see your book in print and don't want to bang your head against the walls of the mammoth publishing machine, there are any number of POD providers out there; some will even allow you to retain all your rights. That won't get you into most brick and mortar stores, but will get you into the major online bookstores...and that helps * a lot.*

In any case, you book is priced fairly, although you will see more sales if you drop it to under $2--probably enough to make up the difference in earnings. Better to sell 15 books at $2 than 1 or 2 at $3...

Downloading a sample now; I'm looking forward to reading it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.