Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully everyone's been having a great couple of weeks since I've been out in the world. I had a great time in London, Paris, and Venice, and you can check out some of the pictures I took here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Here are some highlights!

*Seeing Much Ado About Nothing at the Globe Theater

*A miraculous appearance from Rafael Nadal (who was the #1 men's tennis player in the world) at the court I happened to be standing beside at Wimbledon. Got to see him hit around for about a half hour before it rained for the rest of the day.

*Seeing Jin from LOST walking around London. He was with a lady who wasn't Sun, and I wanted to shout: "HOW COULD YOU?" Also, my girlfriend wasn't convinced it was really him because she didn't watch Lost. Then when we got back I showed her a picture and she was like Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

*Museums and Cathedrals in Paris. Hands down amazing. And so was San Marco in Venice. Incredible artwork and architecture. Something everyone should see.

*A creepy pilot who kept breathing heavily over the loudspeaker during our flight.

*Chatty customs guy in Newark, NJ who liked to get up and talk to other customs guys thereby sabotaging two lines at once!

*All of Venice, and of course the food in Italy. I was ordering 2-3 entrees every night. And just walking around there is gorgeous. It wasn't that crowded either. So much fun!

*Getting to try to speak some French. I knew just enough to make all kinds of horrible mistakes, including occasionally adding words in Japanese. I only knew a few polite phrases in Italian, but I wish I knew more! :)

Now I'm home and back to getting in shape, writing, and the upcoming Williamstown Theater Festival (WTF) ! :)

--Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
199 Posts
Welcome back, Jason! Thanks for sharing pictures--you really have some great shots. The stained glass is amazing. *sigh*
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryl said:
Welcome back, Jason! Thanks for sharing pictures--you really have some great shots. The stained glass is amazing. *sigh*
Thanks! Yeah, the stained glass and the cathedrals in general surprised me with how much I enjoyed them. One cool thing was that at St. Chapelle they were actually in the process of cleaning the glass, allowing a clear sense of the difference. :)

Before: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5909588816/in/photostream
After: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5909032337/in/photostream

And speaking of glass, the Murano glass was amazing and I bought tons of souvenirs. I got myself one piece of glass about the size of a baseball that looks like an aquarium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
Welcome back! I love looking at your pics, how cool you managed Wimbledon at the same time! The stained glass is really amazing.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hsuthard said:
Welcome back! I love looking at your pics, how cool you managed Wimbledon at the same time! The stained glass is really amazing.
Yeah, Wimbledon was really a dream for me, and it really kind of hurt not even getting to see a single live point, but I can't say I wouldn't do it all again (getting up at 5am, taking trains for hours and waiting in line for hours) to watch my favorite player and one of the greatest of all times hit around for a half hour. It was an incredible surprise. If the matches had played though we would've gotten to see the Bryan brothers in doubles, which would've been so cool too. Oh well. Most of my trips seem to suffer at least 1 horrendous weather-related catastrophy (It still burns in my heart that I never made it to Mu Ko Ang Thong National Park).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,399 Posts
It's funny you mention the customs folks at Newark.  My last overseas trip was the first time I'd ever gone through customs there and I was appalled at the lines.  Worse than JFK.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
scarlet said:
It's funny you mention the customs folks at Newark. My last overseas trip was the first time I'd ever gone through customs there and I was appalled at the lines. Worse than JFK.
I was laughing at the one guy with complete strangers about how long he was taking. It was ridiculous. Then when it got to be my turn he was asking all kinds of questions about what I do. I should've told him that I was, in fact, famous. I can't really blame him though. The job must suck otherwise so why not try to find out some interesting things about people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,399 Posts
i'm counting up how many US airports I've gone through customs in...
JFK, Newark, LAX, Miami....

Usually early on Sunday mornings, when no one wants to be there...
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scarlet said:
i'm counting up how many US airports I've gone through customs in...
JFK, Newark, LAX, Miami....

Usually early on Sunday mornings, when no one wants to be there...
Ha! I went through customs at Marseille, France because we flew from there to Italy (via London), and the customs guys were having breakfast or coffee or something nearby and wouldn't let us through for about 45 minutes. They were pretty laid back about the whole thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,399 Posts
worst customs ever?  Entering into Sydney (leaving wasn't bad).  2nd worst, leaving  Tokyo.  Oh, and customs in Paris to get on to the Eurostar.  You had to get there ridiculously early!
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
scarlet said:
worst customs ever? Entering into Sydney (leaving wasn't bad). 2nd worst, leaving Tokyo. Oh, and customs in Paris to get on to the Eurostar. You had to get there ridiculously early!
Yuck sounds like a pain. I actually remember customs for Tokyo. There were miles of people, but then they had a special line for people with visas that never had anyone in it! I got through in about 1 minute. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,399 Posts
foreverjuly said:
Yuck sounds like a pain. I actually remember customs for Tokyo. There were miles of people, but then they had a special line for people with visas that never had anyone in it! I got through in about 1 minute. :)
Entering Tokyo wasn't too bad, it was the customs for leaving that was awful. They were calling flight numbers and pulling people to the front so they wouldn't miss their flights...

Man, I'm glad I'm not leaving the US this year. And only 2 FLIGHTS on this trip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,823 Posts
great shots! i lived in paris for eight years and never went to st. chapelle! now i'm sorry i didn't! i was in london for two wimbledons and didn't go - i was working at a hotel and a lot of the guests went and said they had a great time, so i was sorry then, too. i sailed by murano on the way to torcello. venice is beyond spectacular, one of those one-of-a-kind experiences, isn't it? what was the hardy tree about?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Steve Silkin said:
great shots! i lived in paris for eight years and never went to st. chapelle! now i'm sorry i didn't! i was in london for two wimbledons and didn't go - i was working at a hotel and a lot of the guests went and said they had a great time, so i was sorry then, too. i sailed by murano on the way to torcello. venice is beyond spectacular, one of those one-of-a-kind experiences, isn't it? what was the hardy tree about?
Thanks again for your recommendations, Steve! What a bummer you weren't able to make it to St. Chapelle and Wimbledon. At least you got into and around Venice a bit. The Hardy Tree is just a tree that grew over a bunch of gravestones, some of which still have writing on them. It's pretty morbid and depressing, and I think he wrote a poem about it. It fits into his wheelhouse pretty perfectly. It was a cool sight not far from King's Cross right beside the oldest church in London, a little place called St. Pancras (I know there are others, but I think this one is called that as well). We also saw the place where Charles Dickens lived. Tried to go to platform 9 3/4 at King's Cross but construction mucked it up. Apparently it's just some poster they put on a wall anyway, which is disappointingly arbitrary. Fun stuff in general though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
I've just got back from Europe too!  Well, about 3 weeks ago.  We also went to London,Paris, Venice and a bunch of other places. 
In Venice, we stayed on Murano Island which was wonderful. Just wandering around, in and out of glass factories at our leisure. 
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top