Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was half way throught reading a book when I accidently hit the Back Space bar instead of the Next Page bar. My Kindle went back to the beginning of the book and I couldn't get back to my last page read. I was reading along and didn't have any idea of the "location". Is it posible to get back to the last page read?
Is it possible to get into this mess with a single wrong key stroke?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
johnfreda said:
I was half way throught reading a book when I accidently hit the Back Space bar instead of the Next Page bar. My Kindle went back to the beginning of the book and I couldn't get back to my last page read. I was reading along and didn't have any idea of the "location". Is it posible to get back to the last page read?
Is it possible to get into this mess with a single wrong key stroke?
You mean the back button? Not sure which you mean by "back space bar." From this picture, which button do you mean?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've done that a few times and had to search to get back to my page. 
I've started periodically bookmarking every once in a while so that if I hit that button by accident again, I can at least get back to somewhere close to where I was.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I was just checking to see how the button works, and noticed that it took me back to the beginning of the book only on a book that I haven't started reading yet. When I hit the back button on a book that I've opened more than once, instead of taking me back to the beginning of the book, it took me back to the Home screen. Then, when I re-opened the book, it went back to the page I had been at.

John, was this the first time you had opened that book?

G

·
I've done that once or twice. Amazon wanted to make it as close as they could to reading a book and it worked. The back button is the equivalent of dropping your book on the floor.  ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think if you select home page key then select your book again you will be back at your place you were reading.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
I think if you select home page key then select your book again you will be back at your place you were reading.
Yes, it will.

The back button takes you to the last function you were in. It's not the same as the prev page button, which takes you back a page in the whatever you are reading.

You have to play around with it to figure out what "functions" are, because they vary in different materials. For example, if you are at your home page, and open a book, then press the back button, it will take you back to the home page. In this instance, it is equivalent to pressing the home page key.

But, when I read the New York Times....if I am looking at the article list, and I select an article, the back button will take me back to the article list, at the point where I left it (the title of the article I wanted to read). This is actually really convenient and where I use the back button the most. Some of the section lists (where the articles are listed) are many screens long. If I navigate back to the section, it will put me at the beginning, but the back button puts me where I left from. (I realize this sounds very confusing. If you try it, it makes perfect sense.)

Another use of the back button: if you are reading a book with footnotes and you click on the footnote to go to it, the back button will take you back to the text.

If you look up a word in the dictionary, the back button takes you back to the text. In this case, it is equivalent to choosing the "close" option with the scroll wheel.

L

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have avoided using the back button because it just didn't make sense to me (until now) and everytime I would hit it, either intentionally or accidentally, I would end up somewhere I didn't want to be.  Thanks for the explanations!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
marianner said:
It's pretty much the last "click" you made.
Like I said, the place I see the back button as very effective is with reading the newspaper. Click to read the article. Next Page, Next Page, Next Page to get through the article. Back button to take you back to the article list at the place you left off. That's what makes it really convenient, to me.

L

1 - 13 of 13 Posts