Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a big Butcher fan. I love the Dresden Files and Codex Alera Series.

Here is the newest one and it's expensive for a Kindle book! Of course I am spoiled now. I would have bought the Hard bound book for almost $10.00 more.

If you love a good epic fantasy, you can't go wrong with this series. This is the newest one.

$14.87

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you wait a little longer, its price should drop.

[and yes, this is an excellent series. I kept waiting until the first books were available on the Kindle. They used to only have books 3 and 4].

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to wait.  I have tons of stuff to read and the books aren't going anywhere.  They will be there when I'm ready to read them.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Vampyre said:
I am a big Butcher fan. I love the Dresden Files and Codex Alera Series.

Here is the newest one and it's expensive for a Kindle book! Of course I am spoiled now. I would have bought the Hard bound book for almost $10.00 more.
Umm, I have the hardcover in hand at the moment. I have all of his upcoming books on pre-order. My favorite series is of course The Dresden Files, but Codex Alera does not disappoint. Yup, I'm a fan. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As much as I love the Dresden files, I love the Codex books even more.  I am looking forward to reading it.(and the new Dresden book to)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I love the Dresden books, too.  I own all in hard back and now for the Kindle.  I believe book 11 in the series is coming out soon. 

I haven't read the Codex books, yet.  I just picked up 8 books out of the bargain thread, so it might be a while before I get to it.  DH and I have been talking about getting the first book.  I think he would love it.  I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, so I'll just have to wait and see if I can get into it. 

I have to agree with a previous post... wait a few weeks, that new book will get down to at least $9.99.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Big fan of the series as well. Both series actually. I like Butcher.

Like others, I'll wait for the price to fall before I buy. I'm anxious to read the latest, but have enough to keep me occupied until the price becomes reasonable. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have read Dresden Files but not any of the others.  What are the other books (series) about?

·
Registered
399 Posts
tc said:
I have read Dresden Files but not any of the others. What are the other books (series) about?
Trying not to give too much away... :)

Traditional sword and sorcery. In the Codex Alera series, we follow the tale of our protagonist from his days as a youthful herder through feats of heroism and sacrifice as he grows into manhood. Naturally, politics and war take center stage as do the relationships (both romantic and friendship) he develops as he grows and learns that not all is as it seems. Action, excitement, unique world building and great character development make this series one of the better fantasy series around - IMHO. From the Amazon writeup on book 1, "Furies of Calderon":

At the start of Butcher's absorbing fantasy, the first in a new series, the barbarians are at the gates of the land of Alera, which has a distinct flavor of the Roman Empire (its ruler is named Quintus Sextus and its soldiers are organized in legions). Fortunately, Alera has magical defenses, involving the furies or elementals of water, earth, air, fire and metal, that protect against foes both internal and external. Amara, a young female spy, and her companion, Odiana, go into some of the land's remoter territories to discover if military commander Atticus Quentin is a traitor-another classic trope from ancient Rome. She encounters a troubled young man, Tavi, who has hitherto been concerned mostly with the vividly depicted predatory "herdbanes" that threaten his sheep as well as with his adolescent sexual urges (handled tastefully). Thinking that Amara is an escaping slave, Tavi decides to help her and is immediately sucked in over his head into a morass of intrigues, military, magical and otherwise. Butcher (Storm Front, etc.) does a thorough job of world building, to say nothing of developing his action scenes with an abundance of convincing detail. This page-turner bodes well for future volumes.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
patrickb said:
If you wait a little longer, its price should drop.

[and yes, this is an excellent series. I kept waiting until the first books were available on the Kindle. They used to only have books 3 and 4].
Ahhhhhh.....number one has been on my "waiting on Kindle" wish list for awhile now as it looked like an interesting series and I hadn't checked on its availability again for probably a month or so. Thanks for the heads-up that it's now on Kindle! :) I haven't yet started his Dresden series either, though I've had the sample for awhile. So many books...so little...well, you all know how it goes. ;D

$6.39

1 - 13 of 13 Posts