Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife recently got a 2 star review from a reader who started off their review by saying, "I haven't read the book..." Her gripe ranted that the book was really just a novella at 195 pages & 66K words and shouldn't be marketed as a novel since the reviewer only considers books >400 pages to be a novel. Luckily the next review that came in stated that people should read the book first and then write a review.

You would think Amazon would flag those types of reviews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
If Amazon was halfway decent that review would be deleted and the person told if they ever do that again they will lose reviewing privileges permanently. The rest of what I'd say would get me in trouble and my comment removed so we'll leave it at that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
Has the person bought or downloaded the book? Just because they haven't "read" it doesn't mean they haven't paid for it. And unless things have changed, downloads still don't get the verified badge.

Is your wife in Select?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts
You can report it. Sometimes they take them down.

Or have a buddy put a comment (if they haven't been disabled) with a link to the generally accepted definition of a novel (40K
+ words). Lots of people want to make up their own definitions, but IMO we need to fight that self-misinformation at every turn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Bad idea to have a buddy, or anyone add a comment. Comments cause reviews to be seen at the top, before other reviews. So that bad 2-star review will be given prominence. Happened to me 5 years ago with a book and that 1-star review is still the first thing people see out of my 100+ reviews.

David VanDyke said:
You can report it. Sometimes they take them down.

Or have a buddy put a comment (if they haven't been disabled) with a link to the generally accepted definition of a novel (40K
+ words). Lots of people want to make up their own definitions, but IMO we need to fight that self-misinformation at every turn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
It's always frustrating to get a one star, especially over something like that. I've got a one-star because the order "took way too long to deliver" and another one because the order came with a crease on the cover. Hey, I don't mail 'em, I just write 'em. But, the single bad review won't hurt in the long-run. Let it go.

Keep in mind there's no way for Amazon to catch things like this............they have 8 million books listed. How many reviews might they get in a single day? Hard to imagine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
:p
orbops said:
My wife recently got a 2 star review from a reader who started off their review by saying, "I haven't read the book..." Her gripe ranted that the book was really just a novella at 195 pages & 66K words and shouldn't be marketed as a novel since the reviewer only considers books >400 pages to be a novel. Luckily the next review that came in stated that people should read the book first and then write a review.

You would think Amazon would flag those types of reviews.
It's unfortunate, especially when you only have a few reviews, but you have to remember that Amazon reviews are product reviews, not literary criticism. Anything about the product is on point as far as Amazon is concerned, and that includes things that are outside the author's control like speed of delivery, damaged goods, price, perceived value, and so on. Amazon will take down some egregious stuff so it doesn't hurt to ask

But give readers some credit too, they'll see that review for what it is, and if they disagree, it has no impact on whether they'll purchase the book.

The common wisdom holds here--avoid reading reviews if this sort of thing gets to you because it's out of your control 99% of the time to do anything worthwhile about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,615 Posts
You guys will just have to suck it up. Amazon isn't likely to remove a review, and that one is the customer's opinion, so it will almost assuredly remain. Best to just let it go. We don't have to like it, but that's how it's been going since Amazon started letting us upload, more than a decade ago.

There are legit things you can do to get more reviews, hopefully better ones that will push that one down. Whatever you do, don't respond to it! My feeling is that it's better to not mention it at all in any forum that is indexed by Google, like this one. You never know who will find it, and put you down as a "bad" author (yes, I know it's your wife who wrote the book, readers don't care about such distinctions).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,148 Posts
That's bizarre, as novels generally start at 50K / 150 pages, so the reviewer is obviously a bit off base.

Good luck getting it taken down. I suppose you could message the Zon and complain about it from a "customer experience" perspective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ImaWriter said:
Has the person bought or downloaded the book? Just because they haven't "read" it doesn't mean they haven't paid for it. And unless things have changed, downloads still don't get the verified badge.

Is your wife in Select?
Yes, she is in Select.

The person had downloaded the book as part of a free book promo on Freebooksy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
It's a bummer, for sure, but the bright side is that they left a review and started it with "I haven't read the book"  Readers looking at the book will be able to take that for what it is.  If it was just a rating with no text, that would actually be worse.  And, again, it's rough, but this kind of thing happens to everyone.  People being doofey is the only guarantee you will get  :D
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top