Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BAD SPIRITS Books 1-5

What would you do to stay alive? How far would you go?

Kate Jones is on the run with a backpack full of money, intent on finding her way back to the United States from Mexico. Unfortunately, a ruthless drug lord named Salazar is just as intent on finding her, retrieving his stolen money, and making her pay for ever having left him. Is there anyone she can trust?

"...D.V. Berkom spins a web of intrigue and adventure in this story, and I couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read more!" Dawn Luedecke, Atlantic City Books Examiner

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z1N2GE

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, DV, and congratulations on your book! :)

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BAD SPIRITS Books 1-5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z1N2GE

What would you do to stay alive?

How far would you go?

Kate Jones is in a race against time with a backpack full of money, intent on finding her way back to the United States from Mexico. Unfortunately, a ruthless drug lord named Salazar is just as intent on finding her, retrieving his stolen money, and making her pay for ever having left him.

Is there anyone she can trust?

BAD SPIRITS (Books 1-5) The first novella in the Kate Jones Thriller Series.

"...DV Berkom's Bad Spirits is a fast paced action packed novella which reads like a nonstop high octane movie. Each chapter moves at breakneck speed. The heroine, Kate, barely has time to take a breather before finding herself in another impossible situation and back on the run..." Todd Fonseca, Goodreads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bad Spirits is an exciting series about the advenures turned misadventures of Kate Jones. No matter where she goes, Kate is plagued with the three B's: bad choices, bad luck, and bad spirits.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aliM said:
No matter where she goes, Kate is plagued with the three B's: bad choices, bad luck, and bad spirits.
Great line! Mind if I use it? :D
Thanks for posting, aliM!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got another 5-star review for Bad Spirits! Check it out: Amazon Review - Doing the happy dance!

BAD SPIRITS Books 1-5 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z1N2GE

What would you do to stay alive?

How far would you go?

Kate Jones is in a race against time with a backpack full of money, intent on finding her way back to the United States from Mexico. Unfortunately, a ruthless drug lord named Salazar is just as intent on finding her, retrieving his stolen money, and making her pay for ever having left him.

Is there anyone she can trust?

BAD SPIRITS (Books 1-5) The first novella in the Kate Jones Adventure Series.

"...DV Berkom's Bad Spirits is a fast paced action packed novella which reads like a nonstop high octane movie. Each chapter moves at breakneck speed. The heroine, Kate, barely has time to take a breather before finding herself in another impossible situation and back on the run..." Todd Fonseca, Goodreads

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree. This series should be made into a TV show. Lots of action, explosions, bad guys, and good guys on the run. Kate Jones is one resourceful woman who manages to stay one step ahead!

·
Registered
17 Posts
DV Berkom takes readers on a fun filled non-stop action adventure read. Many writers stick with one 'safe' setting they are familiar with. DV takes Kate from Mexico, to Alaska, to Hawaii. It's fun to have the heroine pulled out of her element- and then finds danger around every corner.

This is a must read for anyone who loves well written-exciting thrill rides that show us a beautiful array of settings along they way. ;D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much, Jennifer! I'm glad you're enjoying the series! I plan to be working on another adventure for Kate soon, this time in the Caribbean...Gotta love the research  :D
Take care,
DV

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's an excerpt from my novella, BAD SPIRITS, Books 1-5 (A Kate Jones Thriller)

Something didn't feel right.
Dark.
Dirt floor.
My left side ached, and I could barely swallow. I sat with my eyes closed and tried to recall what happened. The events from the previous night came crashing back into the present, and the fear of discovery threatened to overwhelm me again.
I peeked around the corner of the corrugated steel building. A lone goat munched on some dried grass near a split-rail fence. A few yards away a rooster pecked at the hard, dry earth. An older woman with salt and pepper colored hair and skin like a walnut scattered seed in front of him. She clutched a brown and white serape around her against the early morning chill.
Everything appeared calm, bucolic, even. I leaned back against the metal wall and took stock of my position.
Salazar ruled this little section of Sonora with an iron hand. The woman outside would not help me, for fear of payback. In fact, no one who knew him would be fool enough to assist Salazar's crazy American woman.
Especially when she took something that belonged to him. Something he valued above all else. And it wasn't only his pride, although that would be enough to get me killed.
I opened the canvas backpack next to me to make sure the contents were still safe, that I hadn't somehow lost it all in my mad rush to escape.
The cash was all there. I breathed a sigh of relief. It meant my survival. Without it, I would have nothing with which to bargain for my life, if it came to that. As it was, the stash wouldn't get me the immediate help I so desperately needed. It wasn't like I could call a cab in this part of Mexico, even if I had a phone.
If I knew Salazar, he'd already locked down the small airport a few miles away, and was probably trying to bribe aviation officials in Hermosillo, Obregón and even Puerto Peñasco, although each of the towns lay miles from his hacienda.
I needed to get to San Bruno, a small fishing village on the Sea of Cortez. Salazar didn't have much pull with the ex-pats who lived there. Besides, they'd help a fellow American.
Especially one with a boat load of dinero.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BAD SPIRITS Books 1-5

What would you do to stay alive? How far would you go?

Kate Jones is on the run with a backpack full of money, intent on finding her way back to the United States from Mexico. Unfortunately, a ruthless drug lord named Salazar is just as intent on finding her, retrieving his stolen money, and making her pay for ever having left him. Is there anyone she can trust?

"...D.V. Berkom spins a web of intrigue and adventure in this story, and I couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read more!" Dawn Luedecke, Atlantic City Books Examiner

"...A good fast paced thriller. It definitely kept me interested and was never slow or boring..." - SP, Amazon reviewer

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a GREAT review for Bad Spirits from UK blogger PaulaSHx! Here's an excerpt:
"...Action packed, fast paced and blood smeared, this series has everything an action lover would die for: Good looking girl - falls for bad guy - realizes her mistake - tries to run away only to find out exactly how bad he really is. Oh yeah... Did I mention she also stole his money? Like... A lot of it? And that he is a big Mexican drug dealer? Yeah. You get the picture..."
If you want to read the rest, here's the link.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's an excerpt from my novella, BAD SPIRITS, Books 1-5 (A Kate Jones Thriller)

Something didn't feel right.
Dark.
Dirt floor.
My left side ached, and I could barely swallow. I sat with my eyes closed and tried to recall what happened. The events from the previous night came crashing back into the present, and the fear of discovery threatened to overwhelm me again.
I peeked around the corner of the corrugated steel building. A lone goat munched on some dried grass near a split-rail fence. A few yards away a rooster pecked at the hard, dry earth. An older woman with salt and pepper colored hair and skin like a walnut scattered seed in front of him. She clutched a brown and white serape around her against the early morning chill.
Everything appeared calm, bucolic, even. I leaned back against the metal wall and took stock of my position.
Salazar ruled this little section of Sonora with an iron hand. The woman outside would not help me, for fear of payback. In fact, no one who knew him would be fool enough to assist Salazar's crazy American woman.
Especially when she took something that belonged to him. Something he valued above all else. And it wasn't only his pride, although that would be enough to get me killed.
I opened the canvas backpack next to me to make sure the contents were still safe, that I hadn't somehow lost it all in my mad rush to escape.
The cash was all there. I breathed a sigh of relief. It meant my survival. Without it, I would have nothing with which to bargain for my life, if it came to that. As it was, the stash wouldn't get me the immediate help I so desperately needed. It wasn't like I could call a cab in this part of Mexico, even if I had a phone.
If I knew Salazar, he'd already locked down the small airport a few miles away, and was probably trying to bribe aviation officials in Hermosillo, Obregón and even Puerto Peñasco, although each of the towns lay miles from his hacienda.
I needed to get to San Bruno, a small fishing village on the Sea of Cortez. Salazar didn't have much pull with the ex-pats who lived there. Besides, they'd help a fellow American.
Especially one with a boat load of dinero.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts