Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just poking around on Baen's Bar, and saw a discussion about accessing webscriptions and ease of use with the Kindle.  Thanks to the original poster's suggestion, there is now a nifty little button "Email book to my Kindle" when you go to download your books.  Can't test it out since the stupid emails are down, but this should be a time saver.  It even reminds you to make sure that you add @webscriptions.net to your allowed list for your Kindle email.  Arnold must have put it in today, it definitely wasn't an option when I was downloading yesterday morning.
Also for any other Honor Harrington Uber-fans like me - the e-ARC is finally available for Storm from the Shadows.  It includes the e-ARC and the "oopsie" version that was posted in error earlier this year.  Only for the Uber-fan though at $15.00. 

Katiekat

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Baen books is a publisher of SF/Fantasy books. They’ve been selling ebooks (unprotected, at that) for quite a few years.

I think that Baen’s Bar is their customer forum.

Mike

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, Suzanne!  :-[

Yes, Baen is a SF/Fantasy publisher who has been in the forefront of the e-book publishing wave.  I had noticed that many people had mentioned Baen's free library and webscriptions here in the books forum, so I thought it might be of interest to them.  Baen's Bar is a forum with boards for different Baen authors, series and general discussions about everything from  life events to politics.

Sorry for any confusion I caused!

Katiekat

·
Registered
869 Posts
KatieKat -

I'm very thankful for your post!  Lots of good info.

Being a "uber-fan" of the Honor Harrington series, looks like I need to get on over there.

Thanks,

Marci

·
Registered
205 Posts
BTW, there are a bunch of Robert Heinlein, Mercedes Lackey, and Elizabeth Moon books available through webscription/baen that are not available on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm waiting until the ARC finishes - I don't like reading only part of a story, then waiting for the next part to come out.

For years, I've been saving up Analog's until a whole serialized story get published, so that I can read the whole thing.

However, I'm dying to read the new Weber book.  There is also a new John Ringo Posleen war book coming out soon.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
i was looking at the march 2009 webscriptions list and i kept seeing half in red.  can anyone tell me what that means?  is it half a book?  thanks for clarification.
judy

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jkent said:
i was looking at the march 2009 webscriptions list and i kept seeing half in red. can anyone tell me what that means? is it half a book? thanks for clarification.
judy
That means that that the first half of each book is available. Webscriptions run for 3 months, the first month about 1/3 of each book is available, the second month, between half and 2/3's and the third month, the whole book. It's kind of like reading a serial in a magazine. I usually wait until the whole book is out, or if its something I really want badly, I usually spring for the e-arc (Advance reader copy.)
But I'm a Baen junkie ::) And I have no patience.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wicked! Thanks for the update Katie. I've been going there for years to read the online versions of free books while um...working at work. Pre-Kindle of course.  ;D

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks katiecat but i am still a little confused.  will baen mail each chunk of book as it becomes available or do i have to purchase each monthly subscription as it becomes available kind of like a magazine.  sorry to seem so slow but so far all i've purchased from them is books or packages of books.
thanks again
judy

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jkent said:
thanks katiecat but i am still a little confused. will baen mail each chunk of book as it becomes available or do i have to purchase each monthly subscription as it becomes available kind of like a magazine. sorry to seem so slow but so far all i've purchased from them is books or packages of books.
thanks again
judy
No, you have to download them just like the whole books, new portions are usually available between the 10th and the 15th of the month. Just re-download and it will replace your partial file with the new one. I'm a compulsive checker, checking for updates from the 5th on, even though I KNOW that they won't be there that early. This is why I usually wait to buy the webscripton until they're full books - otherwise I go nuts. No wait, I'm already nuts, I guess I go bananas ;)

Katiekat

·
Registered
220 Posts
katiekat1066 said:
No, you have to download them just like the whole books, new portions are usually available between the 10th and the 15th of the month. Just re-download and it will replace your partial file with the new one. I'm a compulsive checker, checking for updates from the 5th on, even though I KNOW that they won't be there that early. This is why I usually wait to buy the webscripton until they're full books - otherwise I go nuts. No wait, I'm already nuts, I guess I go bananas ;)

Katiekat
I've been interested in their stuff for a while. I've downloaded things from their free library but have found their website a bit clunky and explanations of the websubscription model a bit lacking.

Let me see if I've got this right for the websubscription.

• You subscribe for $15/month
  • 1st month - four files go up (one for each book) for download each one being 1/3 of their respective books
  • 2nd month - each of the four files is replaced with a new one representing 1/2 to 2/3 of the books
  • 3rd month - each file is replaced with ones representing the whole book

So it's not a whole file with parts of each book? Which was what I didn't want, but I feared because I was thinking of it as an anthology of books rather than separate books.

If so, I'm just about sold...

----------------
Listening to: Anonymous 4 - Troped Offertory: Elevatus est rex fortis/Viri galilei
via FoxyTunes

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mwb said:
Let me see if I've got this right for the websubscription.
  • You subscribe for $15/month
  • 1st month - four files go up (one for each book) for download each one being 1/3 of their respective books
  • 2nd month - each of the four files is replaced with a new one representing 1/2 to 2/3 of the books
  • 3rd month - each file is replaced with ones representing the whole book

So it's not a whole file with parts of each book? Which was what I didn't want, but I feared because I was thinking of it as an anthology of books rather than separate books.

If so, I'm just about sold...
Correct, you get the 4-7 books in the webscription, not parts of them. If you go back and buy a webscription from a month previous to your purchase, you get all the books for that $15. The stringing it out is for the 3 months prior to the book actually being available in the store, you actually get the full books a couple weeks before the release date. For example: If you buy the January 2009 webscription right now, you will be able to down load the entire text of all 7 books (2 weeks before they are released), the February 2009 webscription, about 3/4 of each book (sorry I screwed up the fractions in my original post) and the March 2009 webscription about half of each book. You can go back to the earliest webscriptions (December 1999 was the first) and get all the books in each one right away for just $10 or $15 dollars per webscription. AND once you've purchased a book, you can download it in as many different formats as you want - I originally downloaded the html versions and then downloaded again in .mobi for my Kindle, my SO prefers rich text, and his son uses Microsoft Reader. All Baen asks is that you not post these elsewhere (like a file sharing site) and that you not try to sell them. There are also a bunch of free CDs floating around with Baen books on them, I've got them all here somewhere, we make copies (approved by Baen) and distribute them at conventions. Did I completely confuse you??

Remember, the first one is free.... ::)

Katiekat

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is for anyone who can tell me the steps to e-mail my Baen purchases directly to their Kindle.  I think I followed the posted instructions and yet no matter what I do, I get error messages.  I can usually deal with this kind of problem but I have to say, Baen has me puzzled.
Thanks for any help you can give.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts