Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings -- In a front-page article in the NY Times today, it was mentioned that the banks are planning to charge interest on credit card purchases from the time of purchase instead of giving the customer a free ride for several weeks.  In that Amazon lives on credit card purchases, how can one avoid this unhappy scenario when one purchases a Kindle book.  The only way in my opinion is for Amazon to start their own credit card service or perhaps bill customers, monthly.  These banks make it look like we are going for a free ride, but they fail to tell you that up to five percent of your purchase price is already assessed by the merchant and cardholder banks between them.  I don't feel like paying banks because I am a good customer who pays his bills on time.  Greed is greed!

I'd be interest in knowing how other readers would handle this.

Z U

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'm wondering if you use a debit card number instead of a credit card number if that would make a difference.  I would think it would, because it is basically the same as writing a check.  In other words, you aren't postponing paying, as the money comes right out of your account.

Do you have a link to an article on this?  Is it all companies?

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I need to find out if Chase Amazon Visa is going to do this.  Whenever I had a card in the past that did this, I stopped using it.  It's a ripoff.  I may just make the payment of the card online the same day to avoid interest, or just use my bank debit card.  There is also an option to pay directly from our checking accounts. 

We should all call our credit card companies to complain if this is what they're doing.  I just got a notice in the mail yesterday about an increase in interest on my Amazon Visa card from 8% to 14.5% (approximately).  I pay off my balance every month, but there may come a time when I won't, so I've got to be careful.  Life is expensive enough without credit card interest added on.

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is the pertinent statement:

Banks are expected to look at reviving annual fees, curtailing cash-back and other rewards programs and charging interest immediately on a purchase instead of allowing a grace period of weeks, according to bank officials and trade groups.

Note that is says banks are expected to do those things, not that they are.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/business/19credit.html?scp=2&sq=credit%20card&st=cse

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
See, I can understand credit card companies being upset with those who get rewards but never actually pay anything (as you don't unless you either have an annual fee or pay interest), but my credit card does not have a rewards program.  Essentially, I just put gas on mine (plus a few other small things) and pay it off every month so that I can build credit.  I don't get anything for free from my company.  Because of this, I would be very upset if I either have to pay an annual fee or get charged interest immediately with my present card. 

I might think an annual fee is fair if I have a card that gives rewards, as that is the only way they could make money on me without my simply getting things from them, but that's the only reason. 

I refuse to pay interest on every purchase I make from the moment I make it. 

I'll switch to debit cards and cash if that happens.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I use credit cards because they are convenient. None of mine charges any fees and I don't carry a balance. Were any of them to charge fees or rescind the grace period I would cancel it immediately.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I just called the number on the back of my card and talked with someone who had no say in bringing my interest rate back down to where it is right now.  I also asked her if they were planning on charging interest from date of purchase and the answer (as of today) was no.  This was for my card connected with Amazon that gives $25 rewards as I charge so much periodically.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I just got a note from my credit card telling me that I had not used it in 12 months so they reduced my credit limit.  Suze Orman mentions this in her book that you should keep your credit cards intact as a reduction in available credit lowers your credit score.  I really don't care about my limit or my credit score however.  Just put this in here FYI.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Zorrosuncle said:
Greetings -- In a front-page article in the NY Times today, it was mentioned that the banks are planning to charge interest on credit card purchases from the time of purchase instead of giving the customer a free ride for several weeks.
Which article? I can't find any such article. I found several articles about credit in today's times, but none of them had such a statement within them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have been using my debit card to buy Amazon gift cards for my book purchases.  I had been considering getting an Amazon credit card for the rewards option.

Now I am wondering if I should wait to see what changes the credit card company makes. 

ABC News Tonight mentioned that the banks are looking at charging annual fees, and charging interest from the point of purchase, as a reaction (retribution?) to the new credit card law enacted by Congress.  They have to find a way to make up the money they will be losing when they can't raise rates significantly whenever they want.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I use credit cards because they are convenient. None of mine charges any fees and I don't carry a balance. Were any of them to charge fees or rescind the grace period I would cancel it immediately.
^ This.

I use it for convenience and to rack up program points, period and it is paid off in full every month. The CC companies assess a fee to the merchants up front so they are making money. If they want to charge interest on top of it from the get go, I'll just switch to debit cards.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I always use a bank card for anything I buy. I don't like credit cards.
Kinda OT...the other day I was talking to a bank associate and he was telling me all the great reasons I should open an account with them. Yadda yadda yadda. SO I asked about the interest rate on their savings accounts, and he tells me that th saving account is really just a safe place to keep my money but I will get a whole .5%! I get twice that in my current checking, and by the way...my mattess is safe enough if I need a place to keep my money. It's as if they have become so complacent that they just expect me to hand them my money to fund their loans so they can make money without me getting anything in return.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I will just continue to use amazon gift cards from the coinstar machine, or my debit card.  I'm a retailer & pay enough fees to the banks & credit card companies so my customers can use their credit & debit cards.

G

·
We use our debit card for everything as we are working to reduce our CC debt. Works great and keeps us from overspending!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.