Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll, I'm moving on to formatting my Create Space version and ran into a speed bump.  I've ordered a bar code through Bowker and Bowker wants me to place the price on it.  Buuuuuuuuuut, before I price it, I was hoping to see what Create Space was going to charge me, and I can't seem to find out. The book is 287 pp, by pdf, if that helps anyone to help me ball-park this baby.

Yowza.  The steps you have to take before you are ready to take them!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm confused... you ordered a barcode or and ASIN? Createspace supplies the barcodes (and ASINs) for free, although the book price is not printed on them. In order to get premium distribution, higher royalties and lower author-ordered pricing, they require a $39 dollar initial premium distribution payment ($5 per year after that). My last book was 286 pages (cream paper, no pictures) 5.5x8.5 and I am charged $4.28 per book when I order them myself. Does this help? I've never heard of ordering your own barcode, but I'm not a seasoned veteran either :-\.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Heidi, I am doing the premium use-your-own-imprint and buy your own ISBNs, and in that case you also buy your own bar codes.  Sorry for the confusing factor in my post! :p

$4.28 helps a lot.  Thanks for the info.  :)

Okay, now suddenly I'm remembering a post by Robin Sullivan about how she calculated profit/cost when using Create Space.  I'll go check out her blog. 

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't think I knew that was even an option :eek:. Is there a benefit to buying your own or is it simply a matter of listing your own publisher (instead of being author published)? Just curious. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
WriterGurl1 said:
I don't think I knew that was even an option :eek:. Is there a benefit to buying your own or is it simply a matter of listing your own publisher (instead of being author published)? Just curious. Thanks!!!
That's a big benefit! :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
BTW - you don't have to "buy" the Barcode - I generate mine for free from.....

http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/ - They do take donations though - and I recommend that.

288 pages cost = $4.30. Amazon's cut is 40% So if you charge $9.99 your profit is $1.69. For $12.95 it would be $3.47.

·
Registered
876 Posts
rsullivan9597 said:

http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/ - They do take donations though - and I recommend that.

288 pages cost = $4.30. Amazon's cut is 40% So if you charge $9.99 your profit is $1.69. For $12.95 it would be $3.47.
Wow, good to know, thanks. Is it recognisable in all territories? :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rsullivan9597 said:

Hi Robin! So, I found your page (and, er, got distracted!) http://write2publish.blogspot.com/2011/02/why-create-space-is-better-than.html where it looks like you are calculating $1.13 profit on a 300pp book? I think I don't understand something here. And, yes, I'm very math-challenged. I see 13.95-8.37(Amazon's cut?)-4.45 (Create Space's bill to you)= 1.13 profit. Help me understand how 9.95 can result in a higher profit? I hate being math-challenged at moments like this. :(

TIA!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, thx for the bar-code creating site.  In a former life, I created bar codes for a clothing line I designed, and I was pretty sure I'd done it for free, but figured there was just some publishing reason I had to buy from Bowker.  (Seeing as they have ISBN sewn up.)  Oh, and pun-intended.

·
Registered
977 Posts
cidneyswanson said:
Also, thx for the bar-code creating site. In a former life, I created bar codes for a clothing line I designed, and I was pretty sure I'd done it for free, but figured there was just some publishing reason I had to buy from Bowker. (Seeing as they have ISBN sewn up.) Oh, and pun-intended.
hahaha! I love puns! I'm so glad you started this thread! I can't believe how much I learn every single day here!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, just wanted to clarify for anyone who was as puzzled as I was about the discounting and pricing discrepancies above.

This is how I am understanding Robin's two prices (one she just did for me and one posted on her Feb. 2011 blog post about CS vsLS)
Buying Pro-plan, you make 1.69 on a 9.99 book.  Without Pro-plan, you make 1.13 on a 13.99 book.

Does that sound correct to those in the know?

I landed on 10.99 as my price, although of course Amazon may discount.  This gives me 2.29 on pro-plan.  And of course the ability to buy and resell myself with a better margin, but I don't see myself pursuing that aggressively just yet.  Too many other things to figure out first!  :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.