Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -- confusion for someone who just wants to write, and is struggling through most other aspects: should I include the book price in my barcodes for KDP & IngramSpark?
I'm seeing contrary opinions on this. I'm not intending to approach booksellers, but if a bookshop orders a copy for a customer through IngramSpark, would they require the price to be in the barcode? Or is it only required if they're ordering for their shelves?

It seems attractive to have the option to easily change the price, without uploading a new barcode.

Also, just out of interest -- if the price is put in the barcode, is it printed to reflect the currency of the country it's sold in?

Apologies if these things are answered elsewhere on the forum!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The only thing you need to concern yourself is making sure you leave the barcode space empty. If you are doing your own covers, you need the cover template, which provides the spot. Any pro designers knows what to do.

Pricing is added via the platform as part of the process when you upload your book.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, but I wasn't asking about how to place it, just whether the price should be there or not, as it's (apparently) possible to have a barcode with or without...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
That's what I meant by "the only thing" you need to worry about is placement. Putting the price there is not required.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've never bothered to add the price into the barcode as it seems more like a hassle than anything. And the other part to that is as you mentioned, you can't control the currency so it becomes a moot point when your title is already available worldwide. So no, not necessary.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wouldn't print a price in the barcode. Your prices will fluctuate, frequently when set by outside distributors (Ingram). Just leave the price blank.

Edit: Here's an old link to a kboards thread (don't think things have changed regarding this much). I did some research because you were making me think. :) Isn't it crazy how many fine details there are in publishing a book?
https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,160525.25.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to you all!
I'll leave the price out, I think, even though in alhawke's link there were a few arguing for it. Makes more sense to me to leave it out.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts