Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
sebat said:
I don't have those downloaded, so I can't comment on that.
If you don't like something about a book...you have 7 days to return it to Amazon for a refund.
Ann Von Hagel said:
and if formatting is the issue. . .let Amazon know. Perhaps they will fix it. . . .

Ann
Thanks for the replies. I have already returned the Austen collection for refund, and I let Amazon know that formatting was bad. That's not my issue. I just wanted to know if others have downloaded collections from mobi or single file, and if the formatting is the same. Just trying to benefit from the experience of KB members. Right now I would (and intend to) purchase 'mobi' collections and avoid 'single file' collections.

·
Super Moderator
67,284 Posts
My experience has been that mobi collections are pretty good. . . haven't looked at any single file collections.  The only comparison I ever did was with The Sun Also Rises, which is of course a single book, and there were 3 options at Amazon.  I think I decided the mid-priced one was best.  The most expensive was perhaps marginally better in formatting, but not enough better that it was worth the couple dollars extra they were charging.

Ann

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
So far, I have not noticed any formatting issues.

·
Registered
552 Posts
David J. Guyton said:
Hey everyone

I just wanted to thank all of you who have purchased my book recently. This $.99 sale recently pushed my Amazon sales stats to 797, meaning I was outselling about 239,000 other Kindle titles. Right now I am hovering at about 2500....still not bad!

I am really grateful and just wanted to thank you guys. I am so thrilled that so many of you are picking up my book! If you like it....tell a friend!

David
I've been absent from this thread for a bit and just came across your post. The reviews look good so I have just "one clicked" it :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
IMPORTANT NOTE: The info listed for the books published by Fictionwise (labeled below) may be incorrect. It seems that the page numbers listed on Amazon are woefuly inaccurate. My apologies. Thanks to Koland for discovering this.

Accidental Encounter, Calypso's Revenge, and The Time Cavern are NOT published by Fictionwise and seem to have accurate descriptions. I can personally vouch for The Time Cavern, which IS the length it's supposed to be and a great book to boot (so far anyway).

A friend of mine listed science fiction as one of the genres she enjoys. I'm not sure if these will her cup of tea (or anybody's), but that's what samples are for. :)

Note: These are not recommendations, because I haven't actually read them myself yet. I did request samples though.

If anyone has read these, or knows anything about them, please do chime in.

In the Distance, And Ahead in Time
Author: George Zebrowski

Price: $1.03

*FICTIONWISE*

Flatlander
Author: Larry Niven

Price: $1.27

*FICTIONWISE*

Millennium Babies
Author: Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Price: $1.27

*FICTIONWISE*

Accidental Encounter
Author: Noel Carroll

Price: $2.04

Calypso's Revenge: A Traitor's Heart
Author: Dehanna Bailee

Price: $3.19

The Time Cavern
Author: Todd A Fonseca

Price: $3.96

(I originally had two links to the same listing, but the one below is linked from the author's website, so that's obviously the official and preferred version.)

·
Registered
377 Posts
^^^ You're killing me, CS!  I done 1-clicked every single one of those.  I can't figure out if you're helping my pocketbook or hurting it!!  ;)

Thank you!!!

-X-

·
Registered
167 Posts
KCFoggin said:
I've been absent from this thread for a bit and just came across your post. The reviews look good so I have just "one clicked" it :)
Great! I hope that you and everyone else who has Mighty Hammer Down enjoys reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

The sequel is coming together as we speak!

·
Registered
463 Posts
CS said:
In the Distance, And Ahead in Time
Author: George Zebrowski

Price: $1.03

I'd be interested to know if the entire book is really there. It's supposed to be over 200 pages, but is described as only 45K in size. I purchased a fictionwise published book a while back - it was only the first story in the collection, not the entire book. I suspect this one may be the same.

Flatlander is another from fictionwise that is supposed to be over 350 page and says it is 55K in size. I suppose these numbers are valid, but most of the books of that size are considerably larger in filesize.

So, I checked on Fictionwise. The file sizes look fine on flatlander, but it's on 14,000 words - a short story, not a 350+ page book. In the Distance is under 12,000 words - again, only a short story (not a collection of short stories, as described at Amazon - which would be fictionwise's fault for false listing info). Millennium Babies is 14098 words.

Calypso's Revenge looks to be a short novel (83K words at FW, but they are not the publisher) of just over 200 pages.

Accidental Encounter is a full-size book (543K for it's 316 pages) and not from Fictionwise.

No criticism mean of short stories, if that is your thing, but it pays to research any listing that shows Fictionwise as the publisher, as I've found that the info at Amazon is almost always wrong.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
koland said:
I'd be interested to know if the entire book is really there. It's supposed to be over 200 pages, but is described as only 45K in size. I purchased a fictionwise published book a while back - it was only the first story in the collection, not the entire book. I suspect this one may be the same.

Flatlander is another from fictionwise that is supposed to be over 350 page and says it is 55K in size. I suppose these numbers are valid, but most of the books of that size are considerably larger in filesize.

So, I checked on Fictionwise. The file sizes look fine on flatlander, but it's on 14,000 words - a short story, not a 350+ page book. In the Distance is under 12,000 words - again, only a short story (not a collection of short stories, as described at Amazon - which would be fictionwise's fault for false listing info). Millennium Babies is 14098 words.

Calypso's Revenge looks to be a short novel (83K words at FW, but they are not the publisher) of just over 200 pages.

Accidental Encounter is a full-size book (543K for it's 316 pages) and not from Fictionwise.

No criticism mean of short stories, if that is your thing, but it pays to research any listing that shows Fictionwise as the publisher, as I've found that the info at Amazon is almost always wrong.
Wow. Thank you, Koland. I still have only samples for most of these, and come to think of it, the samples are pretty short (which indicates that the full book will be short as well since samples are always a certain percentage of the actual book - the longer the book, the longer the sample).

Xia, did you actually purchase any of them? Are they as long as they're supposed to be? If not, I apologize profusely. Please request a refund in that case. Fictionwise has real nerve listing false info on Amazon if that's actually what happened.

So far, the only one I've actually purchased is The Time Cavern (not Fictionwise), which seems to be the length it's supposed to be.

I've added a disclaimer to the top of my original post.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
David J. Guyton said:
Hey all,

I don't have a Kindle (yet). I take it that the length of the preview is a percentage of the book? Can you tell me what that percentage is?
I believe it's 10% across the board. Of course, the title page, table of contents, etc. eat into that as well.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I think Leslie posted once it was 10%? (That's Leslie, one of our Global Admins here and the author of

The Amazon Kindle FAQ

Betsy

·
Registered
167 Posts
I need some reviews for my fantasy novel. If anyone is interested in writing one, contact me at [email protected] and I will arrange to get you a FREE Kindle copy of Mighty Hammer Down. I can't afford to offer a million of these though so act fast.

Click the picture of my book below and read the synopsis first though....I would like to have reviews by people who are into these sorts of books.

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I was looking for something to replace Miss Julia, and found these murder mysteries. Drenee posted some of them in the "clicking thread" but she mentioned that the first one is already on Kindle. Here it is at $3.99.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
WOO HOO!!  Thanks, Gertie.  I adore the Father Brown stories.  Now if they'd Kindlize the Rumpole of the Bailey series I'd be a totally happy camper.  Until I thought of something else... 

121 - 140 of 231 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.