Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bacardi Jim said:
Potatowire: Ever read Battle Circle?
No, I never did, but based on my brief google research, it looks like I would like it. Too bad it's not in Kindle format, yet. It should be a no-brainer for a book that is out of print.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Greetings, Kind Kindlers,
I actually purchased this Kindle book a few weeks ago for $5.59. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, since I've been very busy with the Discworld series. However, this one looks like it may be both a winner and a bargain at this recently reduced price...

Stardust

by Neil Gaiman
Average Customer Rating: **** (4 Stars)
$3.31

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com Review
Stardust is an utterly charming fairy tale in the tradition of The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. Neil Gaiman, creator of the darkly elegant Sandman comics and author of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish, tells the story of young Tristran Thorn and his adventures in the land of Faerie. One fateful night, Tristran promises his beloved that he will retrieve a fallen star for her from beyond the Wall that stands between their rural English town (called, appropriately, Wall) and the Faerie realm. No one ever ventures beyond the Wall except to attend an enchanted flea market that is held every nine years (and during which, unbeknownst to him, Tristran was conceived). But Tristran bravely sets out to fetch the fallen star and thus win the hand of his love. His adventures in the magical land will keep you turning pages as fast as you can--he and the star escape evil old witches, deadly clutching trees, goblin press-gangs, and the scheming sons of the dead Lord of Stormhold. The story is by turns thrillingly scary and very funny. You'll love goofy, earnest Tristran and the talking animals, gnomes, magic trees, and other irresistible denizens of Faerie that he encounters in his travels. Stardust is a perfect read-aloud book, a brand-new fairy tale you'll want to share with a kid, or maybe hoard for yourself. (If you read it to kids, watch out for a couple of spicy sex bits and one epithet.) --Therese Littleton

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Tristran Thorn falls in love with the prettiest girl in town and makes her a foolish promise: he says that he'll go find the falling star they both watched streak across the night sky. She says she'll marry him if he finds it, so he sets off, leaving his home of Wall, and heads out into the perilous land of faerie, where not everything is what it appears. Gaiman is known for his fanciful wit, sterling prose and wildly imaginative plots, and Stardust is no exception. Gaiman's silver-tongued narration vividly brings this production to life. Like the bards of old, Gaiman is equally proficient at telling tales as he is at writing them, and his pleasant British accent feels like a perfect match to the material. Gaiman's performance is an extraordinary achievement-if only all authors could read their own work so well. The audiobook also includes a brief, informative and enjoyable interview with Gaiman about the writing of the novel and his work in the audiobook studio.
Copyright© American Library Association. All rights reserved
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
377 Posts
The following is a trilogy (at present, with perhaps more installments to come…?) by author Al Past, and they are currently $4 each. I've done my best to list them in order (but, having not actually read them, I may not have gotten it right; so please be sure to check the correct order before embarking…

Distant Cousin

by Al Past
Average custor rating: ***** (5 Stars)
$4.00

Review
Distant Cousin is the best novel I have read in a long time...outstanding! Distant Cousin will stamp its wonderful magic on your soul. -- iUniverse Book Reviews

Product Description
What if our first contact from another planet was a human? What if the first real alien to visit Earth from another solar system was a woman on a mission to find the distantly related cousins of her own people? What if she brought with her a warning of an impending disaster of apocalyptic proportions? And what if nobody believed her?
Al Past's novel Distant Cousin is a most unusual science fiction story with a most unusual heroine. Ana Darcy has jeopardized her mission and cut herself off from her own people to bring a desperate warning to Earth authorities. Astronomers at a Texas observatory don't believe her, but the US military is willing to interrogate her-under custody of course. Her astonishing escape from Army detainment is our first hint that she may be more than she first appears and capable of more than we imagine. While the military scrambles to locate and recapture the woman they call "Gidget from Outer Space," Darcy realizes that her journey to Earth has placed her in the path of the oncoming destruction and she will suffer Earth's fate if the calamity is not avoided.
Befriended by ordinary people as varied as the family of a Texas dude ranch foreman, a mild-mannered reporter, and an Olympic contender from Barbados, Darcy conceives a daring plan to evade government capture while hiding in plain sight, and to deliver her warning in a manner which cannot possibly be ignored. Afterward, she might just fall in love … if she can trust her own feelings … and if she can trust her boyfriend with the truth about her origins. This is a science fiction novel which might better be described as a love story with scientific speculation. The premise of humans on another world is startling, and the author reels out details about Darcy's homeworld so sparingly that our curiosity is cleverly aroused. It is only when unexpected arrivals provoke a sudden crisis of diplomacy that we learn exactly what Darcy gave up in accepting her mission to Earth-and what she might be running from.

Amazon customer review
Is it really? The Fifth Kind is supposed to denote communication with an alien. The Barbie doll who plays the lead in this screenplay waiting to happen is not actually an alien being. She is a human from another planet, and she does one helluva job at communicating! Remember the wonderful magic you felt the first time you saw Spielberg's Close Encounters? Literary author Al Past makes us feel that way again. You will fall in love with an alien all over again, just like you did when you met E.T. The author of Distant Cousin takes you to one of those places we all seek when we encounter a delightful, memorable novel like this one. Mr. Past shows us the majestic beauty of the mountains near Alpine, TX, and he takes us for an exciting ride to other locales both inside and outside the U.S., but those are merely logistical issues that complement the plot. The real story is found in that magical, mysterious place within our hearts.

Romance fans will enjoy this book as much as SciFi bugs. The storyline never encourages you to get out the hankies or bores you with technical mumbo-jumbo. It just blasts along the highway of your first big love affair. Like that affair, you may find a few bumps in the road in the form of grammatical typos, but I assure you they will never give you a flat tire! The characters and plotlines are all first-rate. There isn't a single wasted page or a single slow spot that you just have to wade through to get back to the good part. You will love the lead characters so much that you will be casting in your head for the Spielberg movie long before the end. Don't worry about there never being a sequel: it's already out. This is quite a book. When do we get to see the movie?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Distant Cousin: Repatriation

by Al Past
Average custor rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars
$4.00

Review
The action-packed sequel to the magical Distant Cousin is here! I highly recommend this sequel to anyone who has already read Distant Cousin. Just open your mind's eye and imagine Spielberg directing the movie. -- iUniverse Book Reviews

Product Description
Ana Darcy, the first human on Earth from another planet, lives in quiet obscurity with her husband Matt Mendez and their twins, Julio and Clio. A year after the spectacular events detailed in volume one, she has opted to live a private, secluded life, yet, her concern over the arrival of relatives from the planet Thomo causes her to revive her celebrity status for the good of mankind. The Thoman delegation includes her brother-in-law Herecyn, whom she had previously rejected as her own suitor, and she does not trust that his diplomacy skills will outweigh his simple greed when it comes to trade negotiations with Earth. Since her marriage to Matt has stripped her of all status among the Thomans, Darcy's only choice is to offer herself as a celebrity representative of Earth, to aid in the upcoming momentous meeting as a "good will ambassador."

Reluctantly, Darcy begins a grueling circuit of interviews and television appearances, while trying to maintain the secrecy of her life with Matt and the twins. Unfortunately, this may be the wrong time to step into the limelight, as a certain unscrupulous conglomerate is currently looking for leverage in the upcoming negotiations for technology data with the Thomans. And Darcy looks to be an attractive sort of leverage....

Forced to choose between death and returning to her home planet, what will become of her husband and children?

Excerpt from an amazon customer review:
Repatriation earns five stars as the sequel to Distant Cousin. The adventures of Matt and Darcy continue unabated as the dynamic duo prepare for the interaction of Thomans with Earthlings. The sequel is only half the page count of the original, and that is the only negative issue that needs to be mentioned. A lot of action and excitement has been packed into less than 200 pages. The price of admission is less, but we'll have to wait for the next installment to experience the full depth of the many new characters introduced in Repatriation. Let's just say the pace of the adventure picks up where the end of Distant Cousin left off. I don't want to spoil any surprises by mentioning details.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Distant Cousin: Reincarnation

by Al Past
Average Customer Rating: ***** (5 Stars)
$4.00

Product Description
Who is trying to kill an ordinary New Mexican housewife? It's true that Ana Darcy Mendez has secrets that even her husband and adorable twins don't know. One is that her countrymen have accidentally given terrorists a deadly space-age weapon which they are about to use.

As she risks her life to prevent a massacre, the Russian Mafia, the American Mafia, the U.S. Special Forces, the F. B. I., and the C.I.A. learn one more of her secrets: she is no ordinary housewife!

About the Author
Al Past lives on a ranch in south Texas with his wife, a college Spanish professor, of almost 40 years and a menagerie of animals. He is a retired college English professor, linguist, and lover of rollicking good tales.

Excerpt from an amazon customer review:
Well, we knew it was going to happen. There were hints in the second novel of the Distant Cousin series, and so it is no surprise that in the third novel, Darcy's greatest fears are realized...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
455 Posts
Oh, that Distant Cousin series sounds interesting! Time to go get more samples! :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Sorry.... I tried but have not been able to master creating a link here..... and this bargain book will probably not be for everyone.... but yesterday I ordered Second Calling on Amazon for 1 penny. I haven't read this but it has a 4 star review rating.... THANKS FOR THE LINK, BETSY!!! YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts

This was under my recommendations so I got a sample and it sounds good. It is $4.69. If anyone has read it and found it a bad read please post.

·
Super Moderator
67,316 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:

This was under my recommendations so I got a sample and it sounds good. It is $4.69. If anyone has read it and found it a bad read please post.
Excellent. . . .the writing is beautiful and the story is incredibly engaging. I have the hardback on my bookshelf. But read it carefully or you'll miss important bits. Then you'll just have to read it again. . . .

Seriously. Good. Book. (waiting for her to write something more)

Ann

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Excellent. . . .the writing is beautiful and the story is incredibly engaging. I have the hardback on my bookshelf. But read it carefully or you'll miss important bits. Then you'll just have to read it again. . . .

Seriously. Good. Book. (waiting for her to write something more)

Ann
Thanks Ann, I was hoping someone here had read it. I just one-clicked :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:

I was going to download the sample, but after checking it out decided to buy!

·
Registered
731 Posts
might not seem like a bargain but: It's the first Three Harry Bosch novels for only $7.96. Includes The Black Echo, The Black Ice, The Concrete Blonde. The following is from a customer review on Amazon:

"This volume collects the first three Harry Bosch novels into one hardbound edition. Bosch is a detective with the LAPD - a bit of a maverick, a bit of a loose cannon, a whole lot of an outsider within the force. His ideals and devotion to justice repeatedly put him at odds with the bureacrats, political movers and crooked officers within the force.

Each of these three books is a great read on its own. The stories are well-paced, the crimes and subsequent investigations are intriguing, and Connelly's gift with words (especially dialogue) is apparent. But reading these three books one right the other really hooks the reader on the Bosch character. There's a great balance here between the individual crime plots and the developments in Bosch's life that made him who he is today and continue to guide him toward his future. Connelly also does a great job of credibly moving characters in and out of Bosch's life in the books further down the road, so these three provide a necessary foundation.

The best of the three is final book, "The Concrete Blonde". Throughout the earlier books there are references to a very important case in Bosch's past. In "The Concrete Blonde", Connelly uses an excellent tactic to flesh out this case without resorting to a prequel: the case is reopened and retried when new evidence is brought to light that may exonerate the man whom Bosch originally collared. The current day trial retells the original events while Bosch must reinvestigate his own methods and conclusions, all leading up to a super surprise ending. Very good whodunit reading."

Then you could read these:
for only $5.90!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nora Roberts 'Tribute' which is still only out in hardcover is now $5.92 for Kindle. I downloaded mine. I love it when they drop the price before the paperback comes out.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I think you will enjoy any of her books. She writes about the south and I am a southern gal.  ;) This one is a page turner, stay up all nighter.

Linda

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Cowgirl said:
Just finished Lucy Sullivan is getting Married which somebody recommended here. It was pretty good!
I read this one and liked it. It was pretty easy to figure out where it was going, but the getting there was good.

Knight in Shining Armor is one of Deveraux's best. My two favorites of her are Wishes and The Heiress. Both on Kindle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks to all of you - I now have a list thanks to all of your comments and reviews.
Never in my wildest imagination did I think I would actually have to start a spread sheet to keep track of
all of this until I finally get my Kindle.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
SEE!!  SEE WHY I can't come here?!  I've been afk (reading, LOL) for about a week and came here to catch up on the Bargain Book thread.  I'm still on page 11 and have purchased 5 books in the last 3 minutes.  :eek:

If I'm going to buy Christmas gifts for anyone (other than myself  ;) ) I should just walk away... but I can't!!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
SongbirdVB said:
SEE!! SEE WHY I can't come here?! I've been afk (reading, LOL) for about a week and came here to catch up on the Bargain Book thread. I'm still on page 11 and have purchased 5 books in the last 3 minutes. :eek:

If I'm going to buy Christmas gifts for anyone (other than myself ;) ) I should just walk away... but I can't!!
I have the SAME problem. Not only do I already have 5 books that I want to read, but I hardly have any time these days with wedding planning and a full time job in the mix. In the last two days I bought 5 more. Why?!?! Because I have a serious addiction that there is no cure for. You're NOT alone!!!
I can also vouch for the Harry Bosch novels, I've read a few and loved them. I haven't read the first 3 (who knows why I read them out of order), so, of course, I bought those TOO!!

1 - 20 of 409 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.