Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 421 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your bargain books here!  Generally $4 and below will be anyone's bargain, and below $5 for some!

Amazon raises book prices, bargain books don't always last very long, so if it's a book you like, don't hesitate!

Also, for the benefit of those using this thread for research, if you want to actually discuss a book posted, please start a new thread!  I'll be pruning extraneous posts from time to time!

We'll start a new Bargain Book thread each month.

Betsy

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Don't think this has been posted before...

John Adams
By David McCullough

Price: $4.95

Description: Left to his own devices, John Adams might have lived out his days as a Massachusetts country lawyer, devoted to his family and friends. As it was, events swiftly overtook him, and Adams--who, David McCullough writes, was "not a man of the world" and not fond of politics--came to greatness as the second president of the United States, and one of the most distinguished of a generation of revolutionary leaders. He found reason to dislike sectarian wrangling even more in the aftermath of war, when Federalist and anti-Federalist factions vied bitterly for power, introducing scandal into an administration beset by other difficulties--including pirates on the high seas, conflict with France and England, and all the public controversy attendant in building a nation.

Overshadowed by the lustrous presidents Washington and Jefferson, who bracketed his tenure in office, Adams emerges from McCullough's brilliant biography as a truly heroic figure--not only for his significant role in the American Revolution but also for maintaining his personal integrity in its strife-filled aftermath. McCullough spends much of his narrative examining the troubled friendship between Adams and Jefferson, who had in common a love for books and ideas but differed on almost every other imaginable point. Reading his pages, it is easy to imagine the two as alter egos. (Strangely, both died on the same day, the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.) But McCullough also considers Adams in his own light, and the portrait that emerges is altogether fascinating.

Review Excerpt: It's an amazing journey with America's inception, and a reminder of the greatness of all of our Founding Fathers, perhaps the most misunderstood of all being the delightfully stubborn and pigheaded Mr. Adams.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Middlesex
Author: Jeffrey Eugenides
Kindle Edition
Price: $3.29

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Another 80 cent book. The Phantom Ship by Captain Marryat

Review
". . . [Marryat's] greatness is undeniable" -- Joseph Conrad

"Marryat has the power to set us in the midst of ships and men and sea and sky all vivid, credible, authentic." -- Virginia Woolf

"This was Marryat's navy, his world, and no one brings it to us with greater authenticity." -- Alexander Kent

"When all your Patrick O'Brians are out, recommend Marryat." -- Library Journal

Product Description
A relic of the Holy Cross, a haunted ship and even a werewolf are all characters in this epic gothic tale by Captain Frederick Marryat. This classic book explores the legend of The Flying Dutchman.

Philip Vanderdecken travels the oceans while trying to save his father. Philip's father has been doomed to sail for eternity as captain of a phantom ship, after he yelled an oath to heaven and killed a crew member while attempting to sail round the Cape of Good Hope. Legend tells that the Flying Dutchman brings doom to all who encounter her. This is a fast-paced, exciting tale of terror on the high seas!

NOTE: This edition has a linked "Table of Contents" and has been specially formatted to work well on your Amazon e-book reader.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
Author: Ian W. Toll

Price: $3.39

Description: Toll, a former financial analyst and political speechwriter, makes an auspicious debut with this rousing, exhaustively researched history of the founding of the U.S. Navy. The author chronicles the late 18th- and early 19th-century process of building a fleet that could project American power beyond her shores. The ragtag Continental Navy created during the Revolution was promptly dismantled after the war, and it wasn't until 1794-in the face of threats to U.S. shipping from England, France and the Barbary states of North Africa-that Congress authorized the construction of six frigates and laid the foundation for a permanent navy. A cabinet-level Department of the Navy followed in 1798. The fledgling navy quickly proved its worth in the Quasi War against France in the Caribbean, the Tripolitan War with Tripoli and the War of 1812 against the English. In holding its own against the British, the U.S. fleet broke the British navy's "sacred spell of invincibility," sparked a "new enthusiasm for naval power" in the U.S. and marked the maturation of the American navy. Toll provides perspective by seamlessly incorporating the era's political and diplomatic history into his superlative single-volume narrative-a must-read for fans of naval history and the early American Republic.

Review Excerpt: Mr Toll succeeds masterfully at painting a picture of this time without over-burdening the reader with excessive or unneccessary detail, as some historic military related pieces can. Snippets of remembrances, stories from Jefferson, Adams, wives, the various captains, crew members, and common folk alike, many rarely used by other historians, bring color and depth to this thoughtful and well crafted work. There are many unmistakable parallels to be drawn between the political infighting of these early years and later events including the Civil War and on up to today ... Anyone with an abiding appreciation for good story telling, history, biography or politics will find it all right here.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here are a couple of Christian faith books that may go up in price soon since they may have been discounted for the Christmas season. But, just bcuz Christmas if over doesn't mean these books are no longer of interest - am I right?

Both of these are by Lee Strobel
And are currently priced at $3.75

The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity

-And-

The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To everyone on Kindleboards: Happy New Year!! And Happy Kindle-ing in the New Year!!

Best wishes,
Xia

·
Registered
869 Posts
CS said:
Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy
Author: Ian W. Toll

Price: $3.39

Hey, I was just looking at this book at my library - had too many already so I put it back.

Yeah :) <click> :D

Marci

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, what I meant to say, perhaps not well, is that the December posts from the old thread were going to be in their own thread, Bargain Books December 2009, as some of them are still bargains.

I anticipate there will occasionally be duplicate posts, not to worry.  If a book is a bargain, it may bear repeating!

Thanks for the kind words, Xia, keep the bargain book posts coming, everyone!

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Xia said:
Betsy,
I sincerely apologize for my misunderstanding what you posted in the old thread! My bad! Please delete this post and the one prior. And I sincerely apologize to anyone that thought I was chiding them. I apparently completely misunderstood our Betsy's final post in the old thread.

MY BAD. :-[

So sorry. Please forgive me. (And please delete me!)

-X-
No problem, Xia, I'll delete your previous post, but I certainly won't delete you, LOL!

Betsy

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is 632 KB ...

THE BLACKGLOOM BOUNTY
by Jon F. Baxley
~ 4.5 stars (out of 5)
$2.39

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. A fast pace, sly humor, amusing dialogue and a richly researched background lift Baxley's fantasy, the first of a new series set in medieval Britain. When Merlin's long-ago apprentice Kruzurk Makshare (aka the Boozer) receives a dreamlike visitation from the legendary mage, he learns he must destroy another former apprentice, the villainous Seed of Cerberus. To do so will require a visit to the demon-guarded Blackgloom Keep. Enter young Daynin McKinnon, who discovers a curious rune-covered headstone, which may be the fabled Blackgloom Bounty, and brings it to Kruz's attention. Kruz believes it will provide entry into the fortress, while Daynin hopes the sale of the stone will restore his family's fortunes. The colorful cast of good guys and ne'er-do-wells includes the Pictish ghost of Brude McAlpin liberated from his tomb, assorted pursuing Caledonians and a bemused Prior Bede, whose monastery serves as a hiding place for the Blackgloom Bounty. Suitable for fantasy enthusiasts of all ages, this novel evolved from an e-book, The Scythian Stone. (Apr.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Angela said:
Great selections, Xia!
Thank you, Angela!

I am wishing you a blessed New Year as well!!

-X-

Edited to add: I just noticed you changed your avatar ... is that a new Grandbaby!!?? Do tell!!!! Please!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm not sure but I think this one is usually priced at $2.99. So it's on a bit of a sale, and appears to be first in a series. However, it also might be a short story, based on reviews and size (122 KB)?. However, if you like this she has several other books priced under $5ive Bucks.

Check it out if you're interested...

Magic in the Wind (Drake Sisters, Book 1)
by Christine Feehan
$2.39
Average review ~4 Stars (out of 5)

Product Description
"New York Times bestselling author Christine Feehan presents the story of Sarah, the eldest of the extraordinary-and magical-Drake sisters, now rewritten and expanded, in this very special collector's edition. "Sarah Drake has come home." Ever since Damon Wilder sought refuge in Sea Haven, he's heard the same breathless rumor pass the lips of nearly every local in the sleepy coastal town. Even the wind seems to whisper her name-a reverie so powerfully suggestive that it carries the curious Damon to Sarah's cliff-top home, and seeks to shelter him there. But Damon has not arrived alone. A killer has tracked him to Sea Haven, and into the shadows of Drake House. But Sarah has her own secrets, and danger-as well as a desire more urgent than either has ever known-is just a whisper away..."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
869 Posts
Xia said:
I'm not sure but I think this one is usually priced at $2.99. So it's on a bit of a sale, and appears to be first in a series. However, it also might be a short story, based on reviews and size (122 KB)?. However, if you like this she has several other books priced under $5ive Bucks.

Check it out if you're interested...

Magic in the Wind (Drake Sisters, Book 1)
by Christine Feehan
$2.39
Average review ~4 Stars (out of 5)
I've read many in this series, & enjoyed them .... :)

Marci

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
We'll start a new Bargain Book thread each month.

Betsy
Great idea Betsy, some of these threads get unwieldy. I have not figured out how to link yet, but really no problem because everything I am reading is listed, and some I have not read are on my wish list.

Happy New Year to All!! :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
MaureenH said:

$2.00
ASIN: B001OC6SAY

Just in time for New Year's resolutions to "get organized," we would like to announce the exclusive Kindle release of The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life. The book's author is the creator of The Clutter Diet Blog, which has maintained its bestselling position on the Amazon Kindle's blog list since September, currently at number 2 overall (of the 1193 blogs currently available) and number one in the Lifestyle and Culture subcategory (of 177 blogs available).

In this practical guide you will learn the actual scientific law of nature that helps you get organized, the cure for procrastination, ten types of "High Calorie Clutter" to avoid, where to start and how to tackle your projects, and how to successfully add new habits into your life.
As far as I can tell, this book isn't $2.00, you just save $2.00 in the Kindle price. .

The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life (Kindle Edition)
by Lorie Marrero (Author)
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
Digital List Price: $11.99 What's this?
Kindle Price: $9.99 & includes wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
You Save: $2.00 (17%)

1 - 20 of 421 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.