Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this from B&N today:

Dear Publisher,

Summer is upon us and things are heating up at B&N Press! We wanted to let you know about our recently launched features:

B&N Press is now open to users from Canada, Australia and New Zealand! Authors based in these countries can now start selling their books direct to B&N/NOOK readers in the U.S.

Top 5 Bestseller Sales Reporting Widget: Now you can see which titles are top performers over the past 7 or 30 days.

Category Search Tool: This tool lets you easily type to search for your most relevant categories (we recently added 4,000 additional categories, too!).

We’re adding new partners each month and recently partnered with Reedsy, who offers editorial services of all kinds, and Girl Friday Productions, who offers full service publishing packages, author logo and website design at a special price for B&N Press users.

Reedsy is also offering a FREE webinar on How to Create the Ultimate Book Launch plan exclusively for B&N Press users at 1 PM EDT on Tuesday, September 11th. Sign up here.

Sincerely,
The B&N Press Team

It's a small step, but for those wide in those countries, it's one more place to sell direct if they want.

And, it seems to show somebody who cares is actually at the rudder at B&N Press, unlike the rest of the company.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the announcement but is it saying:

#1: Author who live in the  Canada, Australia and New Zealand regions can join Nook Press.

Or...

#2: Nook press now has a .ca, .au and .nz extension and authors can publish their books on those sites also

Reason I'm asking I'm not in any of those countries and am selling direct on B&N so seems strange they wouldn't have had access yet.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Might want to update that thread title? Says CA/N/UK but the announcement is CA/NZ/AUS?

And MajesticMonkey, I read it as users in those countries who haven't been able to go direct before now can. They didn't have that ability before.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
MajesticMonkey said:
#2: Nook press now has a .ca, .au and .nz extension and authors can publish their books on those sites also

Reason I'm asking I'm not in any of those countries and am selling direct on B&N so seems strange they wouldn't have had access yet.
I'm in Canada, and yes, I was unable to publish direct. But Canada is now in their pull down menu!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Cool! Thanks for letting us know about this.

Anyone in the U.S. go direct with Nook? Are there any advantages over Draft2Digital or Smashwords, other than saving the small percentage cut they take? I've heard Kobo and Apple only open up some promotion opportunities to authors who publish directly, so I'm wondering if Nook does the same.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
For some reason, I already had an account. I've just entered my payment and tax details.
I had an account as well. I vaguely remember signing up, and then getting to the point where I realized I was screwed because B&N didn't accept Canadian authors. The next step available to me is the tax info, so my memory makes sense.

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
spellscribe said:
Huh. Is it worth moving over from D2D?
Not for me, and I've always had that option (and indeed sold through the predecessor to Nook Press for several years). B&N is almost never a major outlet for me. Apple is almost always better, and sometimes Kobo is as well. I figure that giving up a few percentage points to D2D is well worth not having to maintain three or four versions of each book.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
For a few hundred dollars a year minimum, I'd say so. For some reason, I already had an account. I've just entered my payment and tax details.
For those who price higher yes. But below $2.99 (or whatever) Smashwords and D2D (I think) pay the same 60%, whereas B&N pay a lower rate. I went back through Smashwords although as a UK resident I have been with Nook/Barnes and Noble Press for five years. It was more convenience than price that took me back as I am focused on the day job and don't have the time to chase up a variety of outlets. Maybe once I settle into the job I'll reconsider.

·
Registered
34 Posts
jb1111 said:
Does this also mean customers from those countries can buy US eBooks from B&N? It's not clear from the wording.

Just curious if anyone knows.
No - it only means authors/independent publishers from those countries can sell on Nook (which is US sales only for all authors).

For a short period of time, Nook was selling books in EU, to include UK. However, that option was removed. Either it wasn't cost supporting or (the more likely, I suspect) a combination of bleeding money for Nook and pending decency laws (now in effect) in the UK. There is also fact of VAT changes treating print and ebooks differently, increasing the costs of ebooks.

Any lack of clarity about selling to CA/NZ/AU is removed (at least in my mind) by the actual options in the rights/pricing section of the dashboard. It is still USD and no mention of territories. Because self-published authors and small presses might not have rights to all territories, a means of selecting which territories it is for sale in is essential.

Hopefully, though, this is a step forward in the creation of a more global store. But this is B&N, so expect them to land on their face really soon. :(

·
Registered
439 Posts
This always confused me, as an author in the UK I've been publishing on Nook since 2016.  I never get why Canadians, who are right next to the US, weren't able to publish there, but I could from waaaaay across the Atlantic.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Cassie Leigh said:
And MajesticMonkey, I read it as users in those countries who haven't been able to go direct before now can. They didn't have that ability before.
Thanks for clarifying. :)

evdarcy said:
This always confused me, as an author in the UK I've been publishing on Nook since 2016. I never get why Canadians, who are right next to the US, weren't able to publish there, but I could from waaaaay across the Atlantic.
Same. :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I'm a bit puzzled at the moment - I signed up with B&N, and uploaded an epub which has been working perfectly everywhere else. (Passes all the epub checks too.)

In the B&N previewer, though, it displays the content as alphabet soup.

Some would say it actually improved my prose, but since I don't read Klingon I can't really tell.

I'm not quite ready to click 'I have approved this' just yet ...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I'm still on Smashwords for B&N so I have no intention of actually hitting publish yet.

I'm just wondering whether they have special dietary requirements when it comes to epubs. (I did search google before asking here, but 'barnes and noble corrupted epub' returns a whole bunch of irrelevant stuff.)

Oh well, maybe it's a glitch in their British/Australian-to-RealEnglish conversion process.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts