Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An article from Minyanville - Steve

B&N, BlackBerry Try to Extinguish the Kindle

Electronic books appear to be taking off, suggesting that the digital age has gone too far for those who still love black ink on a white page.

Barnes & Noble (BKS) -- the nation's largest bookstore chain by revenue -- announced a free application that will allow users to read electronic books on Research In Motion's (RIMM) BlackBerry.

This suggests convergence between devices designed specifically for e-books, such as Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle and smartphones. Apple's (AAPL) iPhone also offers new applications for e-books, so it will be impossible to put this genie back in the bottle.

BlackBerry users can download the latest version of the e-book reader and gain access to about 60,000 titles for sale at B&N's online eReader shop. The e-book market is still new, but some estimate that consumers spent about $100 million on electronic books last year. Publishers are betting the market will grow. Random House, a subsidiary of Bertelsmann, plans to have about 15,000 e-book titles by the end of the year.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I don't Maybe this is why the Kindle application has not been released on the Blackberry. Ah well, I was going to upgrade to a Storm if the Kindle application was released on it. Since it looks like a no go, I guess I will get a different phone.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm hoping the Kindle app gets released for the Palm Pre - that's the phone i'm waiting for!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
While I'm about as interested in reading an entire novel on my Blackberry as much as I'm interested in going for a swim in my bathtub, I must admit some interest for the occasioned chance to fill down time with a few paragraphs.  I don't always have my Kindle with me but I do always have my Blackberry.  And advancing through my current novel by a percent or two rather than being hostage to the communal TV or waiting-room magazine offerings would be nice.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I wonder who Google's new phone is going to support?  (Is google even making a phone?  I thought I heard something about that a while ago)

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Competition is fine. The only reason I was thinking of a Blackberry was for those times that I want to read and I don't have my Kindle with me. If there is not going to be a Kindle application on the Blackberry, then I won't be buying a Blackberry.

I went to Blackberry's website to try and find an email address to contact them at and was not able to find anything that made sense. I figured that they should know that there are folks who are making decisions like the one I am making. I cost them the price of the phone and the service plan that would have gone with the phone. (shrugs)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Somehow I'm not afraid at all of the Blackberry/B&N partnership. Both losing players desperately trying to stay afloat.

Blackberry is so far inferior to iPhone it's not even funny. Ditto B&N to Amazon.

No threat here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
akjak said:
Somehow I'm not afraid at all of the Blackberry/B&N partnership. Both losing players desperately trying to stay afloat.

Blackberry is so far inferior to iPhone it's not even funny. Ditto B&N to Amazon.

No threat here.
But even better than that: Competition is GOOD.

I'm glad there are other ways to do things, it makes Amazon work HARDER to make better products, and to provide them less expensively. As consumers, we benefit.

I have an iPhone, and the kindle app. The kindle app would not have prevented me from buying the kindle, but I am glad I have choices. I found myself waiting for some friends, and I had my phone but not my kindle. So I took it out and read a little. (It's PERFECT for the poker book I'm reading which is 2-3 pages to describe a hand, and then another 2-3 pages for another hand.)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
akjak said:

No threat here.
I doubt it, with regard to Blackberry "desperately trying to stay afloat". Many more corporate, law firm and other business environments use Blackberry than iPhone still, and likely will continue to for a long time. Personal use, maybe not so much. But Blackberry has the stranglehold in the business environment. They're just barely getting started in trying to make inroads on the personal side but they've got such a known brand name already, that they definitely have a chance.

Now their viability as an e-reader, is another story. Just like any other PDA's *real* viability as an e-reader...including iPhone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I do not understand the appeal of reading anything of any length on a cell phone screen. I can't do it on a computer screen. Kindle or printed for me. (I'm sure I could read fine on a Sony or whatever else, too, if I had one.)

For the few moments I could stand reading some paragraphs on one, I'd rather just let myself get lost in my thoughts. Or strike up a conversation. Or listen to birds chirp. I don't always have to be doing something.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Blackberry is way ahead in corporate market penetration.  The iPhone does not come in a no-camera option, and many businesses and most government offices do not allow camera phones on the premises.

Still, I'd rather have an iPhone.  :-\

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sweety18 said:
(Is google even making a phone? I thought I heard something about that a while ago)
Google does have a phone, the T-Mobile G1.

·
Registered
92 Posts
GeorgeGlass said:
I do not understand the appeal of reading anything of any length on a cell phone screen. I can't do it on a computer screen. Kindle or printed for me. (I'm sure I could read fine on a Sony or whatever else, too, if I had one.)

For the few moments I could stand reading some paragraphs on one, I'd rather just let myself get lost in my thoughts. Or strike up a conversation. Or listen to birds chirp. I don't always have to be doing something.
I, for one, read on a computer screen all day. Not books, of course, but a LOT of words nonetheless. I also read my phone fairly regularly throughout the day for email, txt messages, or even in the web browser. It's actually VERY good.

Sadly though, I AM one of "those" people that always HAS to be doing SOMETHING. I almost never do it, but I like to go fishing. I don't want to actually catch anything, but casting a line into a stream, reeling it in and casting again is the BARE minimum I am capable of doing. So by doing THAT, I can "relax."

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
The big problem with the IPhone is that it requires an AT&T contract. That is not going to happen. I also think it is over hyped. I have seen them around and I am not all that excited. Then again, I don't want a phone that can do everything.

There are some Blackberry's that can be used with Verizon that I could pick up for under $100. I would be willing to entertain that idea. For the most part, I want to be able to make calls and use it as a GPS unit. Being able to read the occasional paragraph from one of my Kindle books would be an added bonus.

·
Registered
599 Posts
ProfCrash said:
The big problem with the IPhone is that it requires an AT&T contract.
That used to be the case, but the iPhone can now be unlocked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mobipocket already works on my BB Curve.  I keep a few books on there for emergencies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find the Kindle app on my iPhone has come in very handy--there have been times when I have to wait for one thing or another and it's been very nice to have my book right there. If Whispernet is active on my Kindle, then when I go to my Kindle to read after I have read on my phone, it very nicely tells me that I was " reading on my iPhone and would I like to go forward to the page I stopped on?". How nice is that? A friend of mine has a Blackberry Curve and she complains of it crashing everytime she tries to open a book on it--I'm sure they don't all do this but she says it's very inconvienient because she can't access her book. I also think B&N has a long way to go to catch up with Amazon in terms of service, sales, and volume of books and other products.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
ProfCrash said:
I also think it is over hyped. I have seen them around and I am not all that excited.
They're definitely over-hyped, but having said that I don't think mine has been more than 2 ft from me in the year and a half I've had it. I think a lot of folks don't realize how useful they are until they have one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts